what do you class as a small bore gun?

J black 1210

Was it not Col. Peter Hawker who said anything under an 8 bore was a small shoulder gun ? :good:

:good: I was going to say, from the point of view of a punt-gunner, a twelve is a nipper.

However, some would say 16/12 gauge was the 'standard' (for want of a better description). Above this I would label 'large' gauge, (10, 8, 4) and below, (20, 28. .410) would be 'small'.

I just followed the argument re small and big bores.I live in South Africa and we rarely discuss shotguns when talking or discussing big or small bores--A typical small bore would be something like a 222 or 223 and a big bore rifle would be something like a .458 LOTT for excample.The shotgun bores 12 bore,16 bore and 20 bore for excample simply refer to the amount of centrical lead balls thats total weight would make a pound--that is how bullets were measured in the old days.If you bought a pound of lead you knew that you could cast 20 bullets for your 20bore.

Do you guys own other rifles besides shotguns?.(Do not know your laws regarding firearmownership?.

:yes:

I just followed the argument re small and big bores.I live in South Africa and we rarely discuss shotguns when talking or discussing big or small bores--A typical small bore would be something like a 222 or 223 and a big bore rifle would be something like a .458 LOTT for excample.The shotgun bores 12 bore,16 bore and 20 bore for excample simply refer to the amount of centrical lead balls thats total weight would make a pound--that is how bullets were measured in the old days.If you bought a pound of lead you knew that you could cast 20 bullets for your 20bore.

Do you guys own other rifles besides shotguns?.(Do not know your laws regarding firearmownership?.

:yes:

Here we go again :lol:

Isn't it 20 balls from 1Lb of lead and the size of one of those balls is the internal diameter of the barrel :lol:

Guest topshot_2k

:lol:

of course we own rifles :hmm:

Sir,You are 100% right about the balls that make up a pound--being Afrikaans speaking doesnt help to express myself properly.In any way i amglad that the guys also own other rifles then shotguns in the uk i just hope that they do not shoot as they play rugby --hahahah--watch the game on coming Saturday--

I own 13 rifles and behold has shot antelope of most species to be found in Africa including a buffalo with a bow--(so much for the orchard raiders).

I have gone shotgun shooting this weekend and i managed to bag 8 guinea fowl, 11 pheasants as well as numerous doves.i use a browning B425 12 bore over and under single seletive trigger.We have found 16 and 20 bore not really up to the job allthough i know that you will argue that proper shooting woud do the job as well with lesser bores then 12.

I find this forum very interesting and it is fantastic to hear views from outside our country SA.

NS--Hope your soccer players are trained for the world cup--we are waiting for you