help with a letter for the opening up of my .243

Hi All

Anyone done a cracking letter asking the issuing force to open the .243 ( 5 year renewal point NOT A VARIATION LETTER)

i wish to ask them to open the .243 for this new ground game condition as well as to continue using it for fox and deer. so if you have any good pointers drop me a an e-mail to this one please.

rc@merlinpower.co.uk

cheers

bob.

Bob, remember that at renewal you will get a visit from your feo which will give you the opportunity to chat with him and bend his arm over a cup of tea.

If I have ever wanted anything contentious at renewal I have just listed my requirements on the renewal form and then if necessary pleaded my case during his visit.

I would suggest when completing the form you simply put down (for the .243) vermin, ground game, fox and deer and leave it at that. Then as I said during his visit you can bring the subject up and ensure he understands your requirements. Some people suggest the term "Pest Species" is used instead of vermin but I have never bothered. If you ever have the need you may wish to consider requesting a condition for "The humane killing of animals" which will then cover you should you be called upon to shoot a domestic or farm animal.

C

It's easy. Just write that you have been asked in the past to shoot a fox that's killed a load of poultry, but you had to turn it down as the land's not cleared, meaning you can't fulfill your duties in pest control.

Plus get a couple of references from people you shoot with. They just can't say no!

Sorry to butt in, but I think this is important.

When you already have a FAC, you have cleared all of the hurdles except one. The only remaining issue is that for each firearm you wish to acquire, you need to supply a 'good reason' for having it.

'Good Reason' in law, as opposed to how some Forces would like to have it, is that you want to shoot something with it, you have somewhere you can use it with the permission of the landowner or the occupier of the shooting rights (which does NOT have to be in writing), and perhaps that there is a reasonable liklihood of the quarry you wish to shoot being present on the land at some point in the year.

That is IT - nothing more. It is NOT a matter for the police to decide if what you want is the best gun for the job, or approve the ground, or have a DMQ qualification - that is NOT in the law and the courts will order the police to issue the certificate if the police refuse to do so.

That is why SACS provides the legal fees insurance for our members - so that they do not need to find the thousands of pounds they would need to fight an appeal against a dodgy decision by a Chief Constable.

If anyone needs more detailed advice on this, feel free to email me on sacs@netherholm.sol.co.uk.

Sorry to butt in, but I think this is important.

When you already have a FAC, you have cleared all of the hurdles except one. The only remaining issue is that for each firearm you wish to acquire, you need to supply a 'good reason' for having it.

'Good Reason' in law, as opposed to how some Forces would like to have it, is that you want to shoot something with it, you have somewhere you can use it with the permission of the landowner or the occupier of the shooting rights (which does NOT have to be in writing), and perhaps that there is a reasonable liklihood of the quarry you wish to shoot being present on the land at some point in the year.

That is IT - nothing more. It is NOT a matter for the police to decide if what you want is the best gun for the job, or approve the ground, or have a DMQ qualification - that is NOT in the law and the courts will order the police to issue the certificate if the police refuse to do so.

That is why SACS provides the legal fees insurance for our members - so that they do not need to find the thousands of pounds they would need to fight an appeal against a dodgy decision by a Chief Constable.

If anyone needs more detailed advice on this, feel free to email me on sacs@netherholm.sol.co.uk.

I had the same thing happen today , I have just got some new land and rang to see if it was cleared , It had been cleared but had ran out last year . So i asked for it to be cleared but they wouldnt do it until they had seen my written permission from the land owner ...

This wasnt a problem as just drove over to the farm and got him to sign me a letter .. But i did wonder if this was a legal requirment and if i told the police i wasnt getting them a letter as that wasnt part of the law ( where would i stand ) Would basc help me :look:??

The force is leicestershire

Hi All

Anyone done a cracking letter asking the issuing force to open the .243 ( 5 year renewal point NOT A VARIATION LETTER)

i wish to ask them to open the .243 for this new ground game condition as well as to continue using it for fox and deer. so if you have any good pointers drop me a an e-mail to this one please.

rc@merlinpower.co.uk

cheers

Knowing the trouble you have had Bob, the pm i sent you might be the best way to go.

bob.

But i did wonder if this was a legal requirment and if i told the police i wasnt getting them a letter as that wasnt part of the law

( where would i stand )

Had this same b/s when i got the hornet, the feo told me i had to re send written permission

when i asked him why i was told it was new home office rules, i asked for a copy and was told it was sent as a memo.

I sent an email to the home office asking about any changes and was told by email there had been none.

sent the email to the FLD, and my ticket turned up a few days later.

Having a fair bit of bother of them now with my renewal and this could be the reason.

but Ian clark is onto it and i am sure it will turn out fine.

thank you lads,

Ian,

I may drop you a line if i have any problems, it dies say on my ticket that my .243 is for fox and deer but has the condition that i MUST obtain a deer management qualification before i am allowed to used it unsupervised.

a tad annoying as i have fired more ammo in 1 day than most will use in a life time ?? (ex military gunnery instructor royal armoured corps )

bob.