new .243

pavman

Don't get me wrong Pavman, Laminate stocks look beautiful especially the salt & Pepper Howa thumbhole stocks and was something I thought of getting on my .243, but considering what you're going to be using it for, Fox/Deer, then why not go for a hogue stock? Resistent to scratches, accidental drops/bangs, great grip in wet weather, won't warp (nor will top quality laminate), no maintenance at all in fact.

As for the scope, sound choice the NXS, or perhaps a nice Doctor or Pecar (spelling). Good mate of mine had the NXS and the glass is top quality in lowlight, but moved onto a S&B I believe which had even beter Low light capabilities giving him an extra 10-15mins shooting. At the end of the day, the old saying of spend as much on your glass as you do for the gun is a good adage, but there are "inferior" makes for a helluva lot less money that do the same job minus 10-15mins extra twilight shooting? Of course also buying to suit your pocket is a point to consider, but then to the Sheikh of Suffolk, that shouldn't be a problem :hmm:

SS

Laminate stocks are heavy but, if you get the 85 hunter stainiess and not the varmint it weighs in at 7-1/4lb which is fine.

The varmint is the heavy one at 8-5/8lb.

Personally I would go for the finnlight, I have the 75 finnlite and love it.

A good mate of mine has the 85 stainless and it's been an awesome rifle for him, with homeloaded ammo shoots one hole groups and not far off that with factory stuff.

Nightforce make great long range scopes but, it would'nt be my first choice for stalking and midrange fox shooting.

I would have a look at what the Germans have to offer, don't forget that a new NXS will now set you back over £1400 and they aint half big and heavy.

If you do go for the NXS the 5.5-22x56 would be the way to go and I would opt for the NP2DD ret.

ATB

Moses

My Tikka has a laminate stock and it was about 10oz heavier than the horrible ABS one I bought for it.

I drilled some holes up through it, just to my self feel better so it now weighs about the same and it shoots sooo much better when in the laminate stock.

It is heavier than tree wood, but it all depends on the design, laminate tends to be used in varmint or target styles, but in sporters they ain't that heavy.

I would agree with Moses for Nightforce money you have a world of other options, give some others a try, like S&B or Swaro variables.

I love my Sako 75 finnlight, It has a very rigid stock (plastic) compared to the tikka's. Aesthetically go for the wood laminate, you know you want to :hmm: I think you can get the fluted barrel in that model too? That would save an ounce or two.

I have been reading more and more about the dissatisaction of target shooters with their nightforce scopes, have a look round at some others. I went for S&B after looking through loads of different types, but if you pick any of the big manufacturers I am sure you will be fine. I like the adjustment of the S&B and the robustness of it in general.

I look forward to hearing what you get.

ATB, ft

Dan, I woud echo Moses's and Stuart's comments and consider Zeiss/S&B/Kahles/Swarovski alongside Nightforce's offerings. Zeiss Victory wins every time for me.

The Sako 85 Laminate Stainless is an accurate, tough and beautiful rifle. I am a bit of a Sako devotee myself, but if I was buying again, I would also look at (another) Sauer S202 or a new Steyr SSG 69 PII in .243. They are both quite heavy rifles, but pretty much indestructible. They also hold their value very well.

i got a zeiss 6x24x56 on it about the same price as the nightforce

I think you mean 'was the same price as the Nightforce', Paul! Zeiss's prices have leapt up in recent months. If you can find a 6-24x56 IR (a No 60 ret, ideally) at less than £1,400, you've done very well.

I think you mean 'was the same price as the Nightforce', Paul! Zeiss's prices have leapt up in recent months. If you can find a 6-24x56 IR (a No 60 ret, ideally) at less than £1,400, you've done very well.

my mistake paid 1075 for my nightforce and 1450 for my zeiss

Guys plz keep the advice coming and in particular I am interested in the rifle-scope combi that you have

One thing I have learnt is there must be a good balance between the two as there is little point in having a great rifle with a poor scope or vice versa and at around £2500 budget i need to get it right :good:

I would recommend a 3-15x50 Swarovski PV Pav, but only as I have one and have used it is all weathers.

Scopes are very subjective, the next reply may well be 'manufacturer B are much better than that to my eye'..

Try and look through as many as possible and get it right firt time, that is a decent budget.

I rushed a scope purchase once and had the pain of going all the way back to the shop (200 mile round trip) and starting all over again.

You can't buy my rifle any more so much point in recommending that.

I have two Sako 75's one in .270 and another in 6.5x55, I have Swarovski Z6i 2-12x50 scopes on both of them.

The 85's are a good gun but, I prefer my 75 especially the stock. There's a cracking 75 243 on guntrader in a Mcmillan sako 75 stock, screw cut for just over a grand.

If it was my money I'd buy that and stick a 2.5-15x56 Z6 or Z6i ballistic turret on it, have it bedded later on and you've got an awesome set up!

I do however echo Stuartp's words about optics have a look through as many as possible.

The nightforce you mentioned is a cracking scope but, you may be paying for features you're not likley to take full advantage of.

ATB

Moses

I also agree that the nightforce scopes ain't the best on the market - they have a very narrow field of view and are not that good at dawn or dusk

Like others have said, i would go for either Ziess, Swarovski or S&B

I have a S&B 8X56 in the .223 and the light intake is fantastic i have to admit, the problem is i dont have much choice in shops in my area that i can view hence my questions to you guys as to whats working for you

I have a S&B 8X56 in the .223 and the light intake is fantastic i have to admit, the problem is i dont have much choice in shops in my area that i can view hence my questions to you guys as to whats working for you

If you want a look through my Z6 one weekend you're welcome. I get up to Suffolk quite a bit to Long melford and also go to Norfolk most weekends.

ATB

Moses

If you want a look through my Z6 one weekend you're welcome. I get up to Suffolk quite a bit to Long melford and also go to Norfolk most weekends.

ATB

Moses

Moses, that sounds like a plan :hmm:

Plod gave me the OK last night its going to take about a month and i need some land up rating

I am off on more overseas visits sunday (two weeks) inc Holland/Paris/Cape Town/Jo Berg/Bali/Peth/Jakarta.... blimey i seem to live on a plan and hotel just now! still have to get the work in for the boys :yes:

can you PM me your contact number plz Mo

ta