Pistol Grip on Mossberg 500

WEll at the shop I did tell the guy that I didn't have a firearm licence only a shotgun one and he still processed my order for a 24" barrel. I just hope he is not getting me a rifled barrel. :rolleyes:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WEll at the shop I did tell the guy that I didn't have a firearm licence only a shotgun one and he still processed my order for a 24" barrel. I just hope he is not getting me a rifled barrel. :rolleyes:

I doubt he'd do, if the dealer imported a shotgun with a rifled barrel he'd be in just as much, if not more trouble as you would. Quite often theres stuff out there which for whatever reason doesn't get put on manufacturers main websites. (Theres loads of stuff missing from the Benelli website)

Mark

Hi Koz

fit a pistol grip to your Mozzie and put a grin on your face.

i've put a Knoxx stock and houge rubberised fore end on my 590

as some people say a bit posie but their probably a bit jealous.

By the way are you aware midway's goods come to you from the U.S.A

Have fun with your mozzie

Regards

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/upl...-1248377253.jpg

Rik

That looks awesome cincinnatikid where did you get the heat shield? Also did you have the vented+ribbed barrel and did you have to change it? :good:

Edited by Shuck.

bloody hell koz, youre feeling flash, the cartridge holders on my shotgun cost £3 and £5! :lol:

does the 24" barrel have a rib? if not make sure you get a heatshield from midwayuk.com; also if you look they do shotgun slings that hold 15 cartridges on the sling itself, just for the extra badassness :good:

shuck - unless you remove the rib from the barrel (which would be a pain in the *** and would leave you with no front sight) you cant fit a heat shield :yes:

Edited by babbyc1000

Sorry for robbin the thread a bit, I assume all 500 barrels are interchangeable as long as its got an SGC size mag tube? I've been looking for a mariner barrel (the silver one) but cant find out if they will fit a standard 500a. Ive looked on midwayuk too :yes:

Any help much appreciated, also if you know where I can find one! :good:

Edited by Shuck.

Yeah I know I wanted to go for a £5 cartridge holder on the stock but thought, oh what the hell. Mind you I don't even want to look at my bank statement. :yes:

Heat shield looks cool, will get one next month. Please don't tempt me anymore babby. :good:

UNfortunately I don't think a fore end grip would look cool, I don't know why....: Maybe I change my mind.

The problem with pistol grip stocks on Mossbergs is the safety catch position up on top of the receiver, it makes taking the safety off way too slow for PSG competition & you may be tempted to leave it off & get into a bad habit.

Pistol grips give good control but are slower to get into action when it comes to competition, its a trade off you have to live with.

Mossbergs are quite tough guns & there are a few still in use around the practical shotgun circuit but they are not that popular anymore since the nova & supernova came out, because the Benelli's are much easier & faster to load they are becoming the dominant pump gun.

Another problem with ammo carriers that fit on the stock are that they not comfortable when you need to shoot from the weak shoulder & will mash your face, the type that velcro to the side of the receiver tend to work best, the hard plastic clip types tend to drop there shells in cold weather under recoil once they become worn & then you can only put the shells in them with the brass on the top which is so slow retrieve its quicker to grab shells from your belt.

Ammo on the sling will also swing around with the extra weight & pull you off aim at times & a sling tends to hang up on everything just when you least want it too.

However, ignor all the above comments if you just want to shoot with a big grin on your face & have fun :yes:

Enjoy !

N

The problem with pistol grip stocks on Mossbergs is the safety catch position up on top of the receiver, it makes taking the safety off way too slow for PSG competition & you may be tempted to leave it off & get into a bad habit.

Pistol grips give good control but are slower to get into action when it comes to competition, its a trade off you have to live with.

Mossbergs are quite tough guns & there are a few still in use around the practical shotgun circuit but they are not that popular anymore since the nova & supernova came out, because the Benelli's are much easier & faster to load they are becoming the dominant pump gun.

Another problem with ammo carriers that fit on the stock are that they not comfortable when you need to shoot from the weak shoulder & will mash your face, the type that velcro to the side of the receiver tend to work best, the hard plastic clip types tend to drop there shells in cold weather under recoil once they become worn & then you can only put the shells in them with the brass on the top which is so slow retrieve its quicker to grab shells from your belt.

Ammo on the sling will also swing around with the extra weight & pull you off aim at times & a sling tends to hang up on everything just when you least want it too.

However, ignor all the above comments if you just want to shoot with a big grin on your face & have fun :yes:

Enjoy !

N

though i dont take part in psg every bit of that made perfect sense :good:

however, i just like having a grin on my face :lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn I want to modify my mossberg for practical shotgun and eventually get mag extension for FAC when/if I get it. I guess I'll just have to mod the hatsan instead.

Hi Koz

Your mossberg will be fine for PSG but a major drawback to the design is the way the barrel is held onto the gun, it usually has a stud that screws into the end of the magazine tube & is soldered/welded onto the barrel this makes extending the magazine difficult when compared to other gun makes.

Mossberg do not think or possible even care about competition guns, so the long magazine version usually holds 8 rounds in the gun when fully loaded (7+1), you need the gun to hold 9 rounds because that's the max amount of rounds your allowed in the gun at the start of each stage under IPSC rules, if you wish to shoot sanctioned competitions, if you can only get 8 in your gun then your already losing ground against the competition.

The best part about the IPSC rules is they have a seperate division for pump guns only, which means you dont compete directly against semi-auto guns & its pumper against pumper which is much fairer.

I dont wish to sound negative but the hatsan is a bad choice for a PSG gun, because you must push the button on the side of the gun in order to load each shell, that will mean your loading will be at a snails pace compared to other guns out there & out of the two guns the mossberg will probably be the most competative.

PSG is dominated by reloading speed & gun reliability , learning a fast loading tecnique is crucial to success, it is what costs you the most amount of time & has the biggest effects on your score, so guns that are fast to reload & can remain reliable are the best choice.

In the UK since 2003 the second method of loading in this video (the weakhand reload) has become the most effective method of reloading, the two guys in the video are Robbie & Danniel of the AMU in the USA both compete at IPSC competitions & always score very well, you may also notice that they use Benelli M2's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU5dsnBsxXs...re=channel_page

The ammo holders they use are made by progressive machine & tool company but a cheaper & just as good brand are made by Callifornia competition works which hold either 4 or 6 rounds in each one. Midway UK stocks them here.

In Auto division the Benelli M2 & Winchester SX3 are the best choices.

In Pump division its the Benelli Nova/Supernova & the Winchester 1200/1300.

A typical UK competition will have somewhere between 6 & 14 seperate stages & each stage can have anywhere from 6 to 28 targets

To give you a flavour of the International PSG competitions you can find abroad, here is some match info for this coming September, 32 competitors from the UK will travel to the Czech Republic for the 2009 IPSC European Shotgun Championships, you can view the match website here...

http://www.esc09.eu/index_en.php

Hope that helps.

N

Edited by neil smith