Illegal Lock Knife?

Billy.

"personally I'm happy for any of the plod to pull people for carrying any knife while out on the town whatever length blade. If it was up to me they'd take them round the corner give them a bit of a smack about take the knife and leave it at that but I guess we can't have that kind of justice much as it would sort a few of our problems out"

Wow talk about guilty before charged. I guess the Magan carta is just a "god damn piece of paper". Eff it. I bet you wish we had some of the laws they have in China or in Russia. Bang them up in prison. No charge, no evidence.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a lie....

I was on a small island that is part of the British Isles and the landlady of one of the pubs drove us all home, I can't be far it is only small. there were two squished in the front seat about 5 on the backseat and at least three in the boot. Being guests of a "local" i was finding this all very funny as this little rover crawled down the cobbled road and stupidly asked, what if a copper sees you. to hear from in a muffled tone " I'm in the boot"

yes that was one of the two coppers on the island, in the boot and smashed with the rest of us.

they aren't all bad.

"personally I'm happy for any of the plod to pull people for carrying any knife while out on the town whatever length blade. If it was up to me they'd take them round the corner give them a bit of a smack about take the knife and leave it at that but I guess we can't have that kind of justice much as it would sort a few of our problems out"

Wow talk about guilty before charged. I guess the Magan carta is just a "god damn piece of paper". Eff it. I bet you wish we had some of the laws they have in China or in Russia. Bang them up in prison. No charge, no evidence.

Guilty before charged you cry? ..... get your story straight, only earlier you were saying you get what your given if you carry a knife, yet if it involves a cuff round the ears and a ticking off you don't want to be part of it. You really need to learn to take a stance and stick with it.

Although before my day (not far mind) it seemed things were better on the street when an adult, copper or not, could give a teenager a good slapping for being a ****, then tell his folks and he'd get another for being caught and embarassing the family.

So no, not guilty before charged, just instil a fear and respect for adults and what is right again.

I had some damn good hidings in my time as a kid, it did me no harm, i knew right from wrong, and i knew when i was doing something wrong there were consequences and that was enough to steer me generally towards the light side :good:

Guilty before charged you cry? ..... get your story straight, only earlier you were saying you get what your given if you carry a knife, yet if it involves a cuff round the ears and a ticking off you don't want to be part of it. You really need to learn to take a stance and stick with it.

Although before my day (not far mind) it seemed things were better on the street when an adult, copper or not, could give a teenager a good slapping for being a ****, then tell his folks and he'd get another for being caught and embarassing the family.

So no, not guilty before charged, just instil a fear and respect for adults and what is right again.

I had some damn good hidings in my time as a kid, it did me no harm, i knew right from wrong, and i knew when i was doing something wrong there were consequences and that was enough to steer me generally towards the light side :good:

Thats a lie....

I was on a small island that is part of the British Isles and the landlady of one of the pubs drove us all home, I can't be far it is only small. there were two squished in the front seat about 5 on the backseat and at least three in the boot. Being guests of a "local" i was finding this all very funny as this little rover crawled down the cobbled road and stupidly asked, what if a copper sees you. to hear from in a muffled tone " I'm in the boot"

yes that was one of the two coppers on the island, in the boot and smashed with the rest of us.

they aren't all bad.

What's a lie? My saying that police officers are never actually off duty or something else? :good:

If it's my post then I don't take kindly to being called a liar. If it's something else then please clarify.

If I stopped a group of lads out in a town centre and one of them had a swiss army knife with a blade less than 3 inches which doesn't lock, he would still be coming in :good:

You could still be dealt with for posessing a Bladed or sharply pointed item which is a different offence.

I'm curious to know, 'Coming in' on what charge? If it's not being used in a threatening manner and there is no intent to use is as a weapon, then it's not an offensive weapon, is it?

The 'Possessing a bladed or sharply pointed item' legislation (s139 I think) expressly exempts a sub 3" non-locking blade, eg a normal Swiss Army type knife, doesn't it?

Edited by paul65

The knife laws were mainly brought in to combat some of the foreign cultures that have become prevalent in UK towns and cities. Modern plod, with their targets to meet, will pull in anybody for the slightest excuse.

We had a couple of plod brothers (Tony and Ron Beale)who shared a beat down here years ago. Tony had spent most of WW2 on the Burma Railway as a PoW and came back weighing about 6 stone. He had volunteered, and lied about his age to get in, making him only 3 months younger than his brother. He was only in the far East about a month when the Japs over-ran it. He was probably one of the most respected people in the village. After they retired, they were tricked into attending the local crown court to receive a little thankyou. They were renowned for banging heads together and sending the culprits on their way with nothing more than a sore head. Judge Best observed that "perhaps we need a little more of Beale's Law".

I don't think we have a local bobby now. There is one living in the village, who boasts about the speeds he does on his flash motorbike, and another who did enough over-time during the miners' strike to buy a house!

The Beales were always out on their own. Modern plod seem to seek safety in numbers and are always seen walking in pairs, if they get out of the car.

Edited by rjimmer

lock knifes are illegal.

pen knifes are not .

a knife must have a permantally folding blade by law.(non work related)

they is something about the length of the blade its 3 1/2 ichs or 4 inch(cant remember)

I used to carry a lock knife for work ,i think there great (safer).

but after all the rubbish in the news i changed to carrying a pen knife.(needed for job)

its all about where you are,if you at a football match(not good)

you may well get done for a pen knife.

if your in the middle of a field or wood hunting you may not get done for a lock knife.

My thinking is if they are that bad ,why are they for sell everywhere.(you got to get it home after buying it).

tho if you are a cook or carpet layer etc ,knifes are part of the job.

to answer the question lock knives are sadly illegal to carry in a public place.

cheers

scott

before anybody twists what i said ,i dont carry one! anymore!(for work)

"Guilty before charged you cry? ..... get your story straight, only earlier you were saying you get what your given if you carry a knife, yet if it involves a cuff round the ears and a ticking off you don't want to be part of it. You really need to learn to take a stance and stick with it."

All I am saying is that the teenager probably deserved a good hiding, but that should be done by the parents. We don't appoint the police to be judge, jury and executioner.

hi

just re read what toka kindly found and posted.

It is now ILLEGAL to have any sharply pointed or bladed instrument in your possession.

So thats a pencil or pen!!!! is it.

Just goes to show you what bulls**** the law is.

As with many things in down to the cop your are dealing with,gladlly most have a bit of commom sense.

as someone on here said about the policeman that walks his dog,near where he shoots.

your attitude,politeness and manner are everything.

When explaining your valid reason,tho there always one that wants promotion.(young ones)

BUT LOCK KNIVES ARE SADLY ILLEGAL!!!.in a public place,

whats classed as a public place is a whole other matter am not going into.(fields + right to roam act)

scott

Edited by mr salt

I'm curious to know, 'Coming in' on what charge? If it's not being used in a threatening manner and there is no intent to use is as a weapon, then it's not an offensive weapon, is it?

The 'Possessing a bladed or sharply pointed item' legislation (s139 I think) expressly exempts a sub 3" non-locking blade, eg a normal Swiss Army type knife, doesn't it?

The point was that if I believed that the "group of lads" were out on the lash i.e going into a club or bar then there would be no reason for him to be carrying a knife. I have arrested people in these situations before including carrying items such as scissors.

They would be arrested on suspicion of possessing an offensive weapon. They may not be charged following interview however, it may prevent some poor sod getting injured and hopefuly make them realise that you do not need to carry such items when you are out unless you have a valid reason!

• 11 months later...

Dragging up an old thread, but a mate of mine recently got collared for having his work knife in his pocket on a night out, muppet left it in his jeans.

He got cautioned for "carrying a sharp or pointy object over 3 inches in public."

5 Years on his record, prints, photo, DNA, the lot.

Over 5 pages already for what is actually a very simple subject - the police on the street deal with two main aspects of simple possession when it comes to knives so please don't get too bogged down.

1) possession of an offensive weapon - anything made or adapted to cause injury, or intended for such use....yadda yadda yadda (I'm impressed I remember that after learning the definition 20 years ago) This can include a knife but also includes virtually anything - Made (ie a truncheon) or adapted (ie a baseball bat with nails sticking out of it) is simple to prove and you will get nicked for carrying it - Intended involves a little more work as it needs the intent to be proved.

2) Carrying a bladed or sharply pointed article in public without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (sec 139 CJA offence). This is the one were it is not an issue that the knife was being used as a made/adapted/intended Offensive weapon. If you do not have a lawful authority ( slaughterman/police officer etc etc) then you wil be in play. The section provides certain defences in law - used for work/religious dress/national costume. If you are walking around tescos' with a knife in your pocket, even without any intent etc, then you will put yourself in the firing line. If you are out hunting etc in the middle of a field, then it is hugely unlikely that you will come to grief. There is a privisio on folding pocket knives with a blade cutting edge under 3" but don't get too bogged down with that - you could still get nicked for having a 1" blade if you were in possession with intent (ie offensive weapon). The lock knife aspect comes into play in the shape that a lock knife cannot be classed as a folding pocket knife and is therefore not in the get out clause of being a pocket knife - it can still be held legally subject to the legal defences as already mentioned.

There is lots of other legislation arounf knives (sale/manafacture etc). Lets' face it, when did you ever come to grief whilst in possession of a knife whilst hunting - never me thinks.

If you have a knife on you while at shooting then there is a valid reason. Have one in your pocket in a pub or tesco's and you deserve to have your collar felt, regardless of size or whether the blade locks or not.

No you don't. I carried a knife with me man and boy for the best part of forty years,used it every day one way or another and never had the inclination to stab anyone. If you think for one second the little scrotes that the law is supposed to stop carrying knives take the slightest notice of this or any other law you're on a different planet. It just gives plod an excuse to intimidate lawful individuals going about their business and whilst we allow the scare mongering w***ers of the press and the terrified bleating of people who're scared of their own shadows to rule our lives it'll just get worse and worse. It wouldn't surprise me at all if in 10 years time 70% of the people on here are no longer deemed suitable to hold a SC let alone a FC.

I run an off-road club, for similar reasons it is a dying sport. Due to the bleating of some voiciferous morons who don't like what i do i can now have my truck impounded if i take a wrong turn on a greenlane, not that i greenlane any more,it just isn't worth it.

This country used to be something to be proud of, now i just despair of what my kids will inherit

There are many laws with deliberately woolly wording that allow plod to used their gumption and bend it one way or the other to fit the circumstances. There is a world of difference between having a sheath knife on your belt in village shop in farming country and a stanley knife in your pocket in a town centre nightclub. Most decent ordinary coppers are able to make this distinction. The trouble lies with the target driven egomaniacs who are looking for a pull for any reason to enhance their career prospects, and sadly their numbers seem to be on the increase. Bring back the Village Bobby.

Edited by Diceman