Attacked when out shooting on sunday night!!!!

s6boy

I think you handled the situation very well. I'm glad you came out of it ok and nobody was hurt.

On the self defense side of things though, I would let a shot off if came at me with a bat. One strike to the head can end a life with that kind of kit involved, and there's a lot of places you can shoot someone without killing them so I wouldn't think twice! You were with mates who could have looked after you, but if I was on my own I'm not sure I'd take the risk of being disarmed and shot with my own gun! I'd have thought a round to the lower leg or foot is pretty easy to get over in the long term, but in the short term it would put them well out of action.

It's interesting to hear that the police think it's ok for this guy to be going around threatening people with an offensive weapon. If he was to do that in the street he'd be in big trouble. I don't think a talking to is good enough really, the guy has threatened you on property that's not even his. Maybe he should spend a few weekends on community service to give him time to think about his attitude.

Thanx for all the support and the funny comments.

What has shocked me is that this sort of thing has happend to other people on here to.I think people who have moved to the country should try to learn how to live in the country and understand that this has gone on for years and is doing farmers a big service, maybe if the cost of all wheat,barley and rape products was to go up, they might not be so quick to come and have a go at us.

I am not going to let it put me off shooting as it has become a real love of mine over the last few years, hell me and a few mates thought it would be a good fun to hold a small(maybe 30 guns)driven clay shot in the same field one sunday morning, show him just how loud guns can be lol.

Once again thanx for the support and making me smile

Matt

The main thing is that nobody got hurt :D Don't let this complete idiot put you off, hopefully he will fall down a rabbit hole wandering around in the dark :D As has already been said, it's good to hear a positive story for the police who do often get a hard time on here :D

A very thought provoking post.

In my opinion you did the right thing by not rising to his threats - staying calm and even submissive when you have a gun in your hand is surely the right thing to do. Yes, I appreciate that he was the one waving the weapon about and damaging your car, but the fact remains that you without doubt did the right thing. You proved that the whole selection process about who has a gun license and who does not worked in this case! Thanks god he doesn't have one... I assume...

As for the issue of what you could/should have done if this bloke had started getting physical well it's only possible to speculate, unless you're there and it's happening to you then the rest is just hindsight. I find myself running through exactly these type of scenarios though - especially at night and if I'm out alone with the gun.

There's prevention - the farmer ALWAYS knows when I'm out - if I can't get hold of him I don't go out, simple as that. I now ALWAYS keep my mobile with me. I always have a wander around to see if anyone else is about - my land has several old Pill Boxes which attract some people for good and bad reasons. I will always see them before they see me and I can then assess whether I should carry on or avoid. They could be antis after all.

I never assume that just because I have a gun people will be afraid and not challenge me. I always used to feel invincible believing that no one would ever threaten me as I had a gun. Sadly, as proven by the original poster that just doesn't work anymore!

Having run through the scenario if it had happened to me, assuming I was out on my own, I would have done exactly the same as the OP, tried to reason, accepted that the bloke was obviously a nutter and tried to simply remove myself from it. If however I felt that the situation was going to result in him actually harming me or grabbing the gun (and this is a split second realisation that no-one could forsee, it would be simply an instinctive reaction) I would point the gun away, pull the trigger (two reasons, one to get rid of the bullet in the breech and two to possibly frighten him off) and then use the gun as a club and try to incapacatate him. Depending on his size/fitness/demeanour/threat I would consider shooting him in the leg if I felt I had no other way and the risk was severe.

I would hope and trust that whatever happens, even the bloke getting shot in the leg, the police would understand why I did what I felt I had to do. The consequences of some nutter getting hold of my gun (and that's the line you'd have to take, and that line only) and then potentially going off and doing a Michael R**n does not bear thinking about.

Let's just hope in never happens.