Attacked when out shooting on sunday night!!!!

s6boy

I was out shooting on sunday night on the farm were we have been shooting for a while, i was out with my normal two mate and a new mate who had come along to drive.We always start at the top of the farm and work our way round, all was going well and i was really hapy with my two new guns after just getting my fac.

We had started as it got dark and had coverd one half of the farm by about midnight, so we crossed over the road to start on the other side, there is mainly wheat on this side and none had been cut yet.So we only had two small fields to lamp in.

Moving the lamp about we saw a good set of eyes in the field, but a little to far away to see what it was.So i got out the 4x4 to have a better look, i turned back a told them no its a baddger, at this point a man was standing behind the 4x4 with a small bat shouting abuse at us wanting to know what we were doing, so i told the man we were ok the be there as i know the farmer and have been comming up here for a while, but that was no good and he came straight up to me waving the bat at me saying he was going to "do us in" as we had been shooting at his house. I tried to calm him down and tell him we were not near his house and sorry if we had caused him any problems, at this point he was going mad and i really thought he was going to hit me.

He then said i am going to report you to the police, so i gave him my name,and then he pulled my number plate off the front and marched of say he would get us if we ever came back.

I was very shocked by this but i knew we had done nothing.So we all got back in the 4x4 and left.

As i know the farmer i knew were he would be, yep u got it in the local put just two fields away.

so i thought i have got to tell him befor the man calls the police.

He was great about it and told me just why this man was going mad. he has a long running thing with the farmer and is belived to have smashed two gas bird bangers at the start of the year.

All the other locals in the pub at the time also said just what he was like.

So leaving the pub i felt a bit better that i still had land to shoot on and the farmer was still ok with me.

But i was still worried about what might happen with the police, would he have called them, would they just come and take my guns, what was going to happen.

Not much sleep was had that night.

Monday was my first day of a week off work, so the door bell going at 7am could have ment only one thing "POLICE".

I went down answerd the door and let him in,he told me there had been a complaint made the a bullet had landed in the mans garden.

As soon as i told the officer what had happend with the man and his bat, he was great. We went through what had happend and he told me that it was not me in the wrong and he would tell the man if he was to do anything like that again he would be charged with a long list of things.

The officer then asked me why i did not report it, and looking back i should have done i know, but i am never sure how the police will react when it comes to guns.

But this office was great a real credit to essex police and we even got talking about what i do with all them bunnies, and what is the best way to cook them,a real top bloke.

So as i type this nothing more has come of it and we will not be lamping that small field agian.

There are a few things we thought about after, if he would hav hit one of us what could we do, we could not shot him.

And as the office said if a bullet did land in his garden, how would he see it in total darkness and why not just call the police straight away noone in there right mind goes up to people with guns and acts like that.

This could have all ended so badly with somone getting hurt, but i would like to think that with the calm actions of myself and friends it all ended ok.

So what a story am tempted to phone up one of the shooting mags to tell them as i feel the police were great and should get a little praise. :lol:

Sorry about the spelling as am still in a little shock

Matt

these things happen and its a fact of life with farmers having to put up with their neighbours. It should have been reported as lets face it its agressive threatening behaviour and with a weapon so the guy had enough against him to end up right in the sticky stuff. All you can do is be non confrontational but at the point where he was pulling the number plate off I'd have been on the phone to the police giving them a comentary on what was going on so that he couldn't later claim to have been threatened with a gun. Now you know how things stand with the farmer I'd not stop doing pest control on that bit of ground I'd actually go round it more if anything. Its also worth keeping a note of the officer you dealt with in case of any future problems and also let the farmer have his details as it sounds like its going to be an ongoing saga

why could you not shoot him if he attacked you? what happens if he had hit you took the gun and shot you ? fire first ask questions later

very bad idea you'd be likely to go down for a long time as who is to say he was attacking you if he's dead.

in a vehicle with a couple of you you just stay away from him or make sure you've removed the bolt or ammo. Being on the phone to the police throughout will make him back down. He was relying on the threat that you'd been shooting his house to stop you going to the police

youd be best not shooting there again, is it possible theres other people lamping around there who could have annoyed him?

i was in that situation before, but from the other side. guys were lamping round our house, sitting on the road, shooting into our land, etc. not a nice feeling being woke up at 1am by gunshots and a torch beam being shone through the bedroom window. there was maybe 3 or 4 different ones who lamped around us, only one set were causing the trouble but they all got tarred with the same brush :lol:

Everyone says just shot him or near him, but trust me the one thing we all did was point the guns the other way,to stop him getting more angry and i one did go off it would have been the end of our shooting for a bit, i think it is about 10 years for that sort of thing.

You did very well in keeping calm while this man went off into one,but the moment he damaged your vehicle (number plate) i would have immedietly rang the Police in his presence and reported him.Arrogant morons like this need taking down a peg or two,but is best left to the rozzers as only they can intimidate him with court action.

I know some people are strongly against bloodsports,but it dont excuse criminal damage and threatening behaviour.

don't whatever you do fire a warning shot, I know one farmer who did so and ended up going as far as the high court and getting thrown out there. The stress was far too much he lost his shotgun ticket and actually gave up shooting as a result. Ok you felt threatened but its not a situation you want to get into. There is an excuse for self defence and the fact you're out shooting does give you reason to have the gun on you but ultimately you'd end up in court arguing the toss so you really don't want to go there.

On a side note it is nice to hear of the police being sensible and have to say thats how I've found them all the way through my shooting dealings with them, hopefully in this case they've had a good word in the guys ear and he will now leave you and the farmer alone

So farmer Giles etc. were all in the pub after midnight.......good job you didn`t tell the police :lol:

It`s not surprising that these things happen as there seems to be a lot of animocity to farmers by either neighbours who have fallen out with him over something or by incomers who think the rural idyll is a quiet one :D

I have had this one bloke he always calls the police when I shoot near his house, they come across and blah blah blah they see his house is well out of 12 range, its just being pedantic (if thats the word)

If he pulled your number plate off, thats criminal damage isnt it :lol:

nickbeardo comment was spot on.

Its best not to shoot people , (even in essex.)

I think you and your mates did the right thing.100%

If you have other good land, shoot that,best not go back if you can.

Its not worth it.

Dont let it put you off,go out again as quickly as you can.

scott

mr salt

why could you not shoot him if he attacked you? what happens if he had hit you took the gun and shot you ? fire first ask questions later

Are you actually a fit person to own a firearm or shotgun? If you are then maybe you shouldn't be :good::lol::hmm: