Zeroing backstop

al4x

By chance i found a rather good backstop last night. I've got building work going on at home and decided to take a thermalite block as you can pin a target on easily. We're using the big blocks that are 210mm thick and blow me if they don't nicely stop a .223 round at 100 yards. I'll cut it open later and see how far it went but with it being aerated and soft you shouldn't get a ricochet and it absorbs the energy brilliantly

Thermalite block, is that the same as a breeze block?

sort of its the lightweight thermal blocks I'd not use a dense concrete one for fear of it ricocheting. These are the ones you struggle to fit a gun cabinet to in moden houses but ours are twice the width of a normal block as we've built an extension with solid rather than cavity walls.

By chance i found a rather good backstop last night. I've got building work going on at home and decided to take a thermalite block as you can pin a target on easily. We're using the big blocks that are 210mm thick and blow me if they don't nicely stop a .223 round at 100 yards. I'll cut it open later and see how far it went but with it being aerated and soft you shouldn't get a ricochet and it absorbs the energy brilliantly

Wooah dont go there, I made up a "cupboard" type of structure with new thermalite blocks and used it with a target enclosed for zeroing my .22, I used subs at 50yds, they quickly chewed a hole right through and started going through the hole after only a few sessions, so check the blocks everytime you go to use them as backstop.

Mine were 4" thick but the only difference will be the time it takes to reduce the block to a crumble.

Rgds D2D.

I am unsure whether this would be of much more than single use,particularily the bigger calibres,yesterday I rechecked zero of my .270 after fitting a moderator and used a solid earth bank(the dividing hedge between two fields one being 8ft higher than the other)after only 10 rounds at different ranges I found a hole in the bank that would probably house two rabbits and was probably 18 inches deep,so defiently no use for the .270,I would end up covered in dust after the first round!!!