Improving concentration

Patrick1964

I find it difficult to keep concentrating through 100 clays. I frequently hit the first 25, only to have a disaster on the next round. I know I can shoot well if I concentrate, but I find my mind wanders - I end up thinking about my score, what I'm doing later, where we're going tomorrow etc. Has anyone else found anything that helps to keep focused ?

Is that skeet?

Do you shoot competitively, or just for the craic?

Usually, if you're shooting competitively, even if it's just against one other person that you particularly want to beat, it can help to focus the mind.

It's one of my problems, though I shoot sporting. I can stay focused for most of the time, but I keep just dropping odd clays, because the mind wanders momentarily. :oops:

Edited by Chard

Is that skeet?

Do you shoot competitively, or just for the craic?

Usually, if you're shooting competitively, even if it's just against one other person that you particularly want to beat, it can help to focus the mind.

It's one of my problems, though I shoot sporting. I can stay focused for most of the time, but I keep just dropping odd clays, because the mind wanders momentarily. :oops:

:ermm: You too :ermm:

Unfortunately I can't make Sealand due to work, but thanks for the invite. I generally shoot at Llandegla, where you can take a counter and shoot as many as you like. There's a Wednesday evening DTL comp (unregistered) which I usually shoot - it's very close to home for me. I realise it's a little further for you, but if you ever fancy it let me know ?

Will cost you an extra £2 to fill in a form :oops:

£2? :ermm::hmm::hmm: What's that for?

Unfortunately I can't make Sealand due to work, but thanks for the invite. I generally shoot at Llandegla, where you can take a counter and shoot as many as you like. There's a Wednesday evening DTL comp (unregistered) which I usually shoot - it's very close to home for me. I realise it's a little further for you, but if you ever fancy it let me know ?

I had a bash at Llandegla fairly recently with Beretta off here. Enjoyed it, it was a good ground :ermm:

I'm entered into this Clubman competition at Doveridge on Sunday, which is Sporting, Skeet and DTL. I haven't done a lot of DTL or skeet, so I thought I'd better have a go before Sunday.

£2 is your registration fee, gets you a little card you can swipe in with. Apparently they've had to tighten things up there since someone lost an eye last year through not wearing glasses. Not sure how having a card helps, but presumably their insurance requires it. Strangely, it's free if you only want to go once, but costs £2 for a year.

Edited by Patrick1964

and make sure you take your glasses, they WILL stop you shooting, if your not wearing them.

The DTL stand at the very end is the best one Chard.

They use a token system there, which you need to buy in the shop just incase your not aware..

Edited by Ian E

Dude, you just have to take each target as it comes,forget the last and think about the one your shooting at like your life depends on it.

Try aligning your cartridges ,anything to keep on the next target.....but never watch the last person who shoots....head down...:oops:

Lanny Bassham's Mental Management System for Shooting Sports and his book Winning in Mind are very good.......they are very promptly posted out from the US to buyers here, and arrive very quickly. Well worth it!!! :ermm: They address concentration, competition, stress etc related to preparing and what you do while waiting to shoot so your thoughts don't drift onto what's happening tomorrow etc. :ermm: Not cheap, but an investment in yourself..... :oops:

I find it difficult to keep concentrating through 100 clays. I frequently hit the first 25, only to have a disaster on the next round. I know I can shoot well if I concentrate, but I find my mind wanders - I end up thinking about my score, what I'm doing later, where we're going tomorrow etc. Has anyone else found anything that helps to keep focused ?

You might be surprised how much effect making sure that you're properly hydrated and that there's sufficient fuel (food) in your system for your brain to properly function can have on your ability to concentrate :oops:

Lanny Bassham's Mental Management System for Shooting Sports and his book Winning in Mind are very good.......they are very promptly posted out from the US to buyers here, and arrive very quickly. Well worth it!!! :ermm: They address concentration, competition, stress etc related to preparing and what you do while waiting to shoot so your thoughts don't drift onto what's happening tomorrow etc. :hmm: Not cheap, but an investment in yourself..... :oops:

Totally agree - the MMS series is fantastic material to use if you're open minded about improving your shooting :ermm:

Getting the balance right is also important as there is nothing worse than battling your way through the last couple of stands while busting for a wee! ;)

It's not so bad with sporting, you can go in the bushes.

If it was DTL it would be frowned upon if you slashed over the bloke next to you :no:

• 2 months later...