WHICH DIGITAL SLR ?

ME

I know this has been done before but I am gonna buy a digital SLR camera and need some pointers.

I am not taking up photography as a hobby, I just want a decent SLR camera for family photos, holidays etc.

I want to spend around £500 ish as a guide. Can you give me some pointers on where to buy and what to buy. I have been told that Canon or Nikon are good..

Cheers

LV :rolleyes:

Why an SLR model LV? I realise they are cheap these days but for that cash and for what you want an SLR body is a lot to carry about for just snaps. Have you looked into the top/middle ground fixed lens camera's? Or do the Jones' next door have a Digital SLR and a Shogun already? :rolleyes::blush:

i would say the canon 400D with the mkII Canon 50mm Prime lens, the lens is about £80 new and it will be the best £80 you will ever spend on a lens i can assure you of that!

if you want to spend a bit more on the camera body i would say look into the canon 40D What a camera that is!

I've got the Canon eos 350D and have got some superb pic's with it :D

Hiya, Got to totally agree with you...I got mine a few years ago, Xmas pressie from the 3 kids, along with a couple of decent lens....a Great bit of kit...tho', now superceded by the 400, and mibbes the 450....still a quality bit of kit, which has never let me down, and it goes on my boat with me on every trip out..:hmm:

I've used my mates Nikon, and tho nice, it feels a tad heavy ...and thats coming from a Weirauch owner..:lol:

The reason I wanted one was, one day up at Ardnamurchan on my mates boat, there were Minke Whales feeding all round the boat, and, at that time, I had a nice Kodak DX something....cost me a couple of hundred quid in the sales too..:) Anyway, when the fish came up after the Herring, I clicked the camera...and because of the delay....all I got was pics of Swirls of water, dead herring, and Seagulls...so..after a couple of months of moaning about it......got my 350D....and never seen a Mhinke since!!! But have gotten some cracking pics with the 350 over the years...its going in soon for its first ever service, as somehow, I've gotten Mackeral Scales in the lens!!!! :good: B) :lol:

Edited by Norrie

B) Sounds familiar, I was fishing in Cornwall once and all of a sudden there were minkies all around us....camera.....in the hotel!!!!!

In 1998 I was fishing off Dungeness and we had humpback whales in the estuary smashing through the sprats...camera.....in the car!!!

My first canon had to go in for repair once and they complained about the fishy smell"!!! :good: