Squirrel control

cdb

I recently had my garden re-turfed. It's lovely, and the local squirrels think so too. They like it so much they're taken to burying their nuts in it. As I'm sure you can imagine it's quite annoying to find these tennis ball sized holes in my new lawn.

Does anyone have any tips for dissuading the little blighters from digging up my garden. I live in central London so shooting them isn't an option.

...... I live in central London so shooting them isn't an option.

So why isn't shooting an option?

If you have a pcp air rifle with a silencer the noise level is only a "click", and if you are shooting down from a bedroom window to the lawn, you should have little risk of pellets exiting your land.

Done discretely with the minimum of barrel showing from the window no-one should be the wiser.

And it's so much more satisfying than a trap.

So why isn't shooting an option?

If you have a pcp air rifle with a silencer the noise level is only a "click", and if you are shooting down from a bedroom window to the lawn, you should have little risk of pellets exiting your land.

Done discretely with the minimum of barrel showing from the window no-one should be the wiser.

And it's so much more satisfying than a trap.

Often use this method for magpies. In reality if you can get enough height you can shoot from the back of the room with no barrel showing and an absolute minimum of noise. Also try baiting an area of the lawn and putting a pathing slab in behind that to form a back stop just to make sure.

I used to use a bow from the back porch in college. We had a ton of squirrels and they were always in the yard. When I was home in the afternoons I'd leave my bow on a hook in the kitchen, the back doors propped open, and an arrow knocked on the rest. Every so often I'd peek back into the yard and catch one. Then I had to slip two steps back into the house, grab and draw the bow, take two steps onto the porch, and shoot before they saw me. I got quite a few that way.

Thanks

Rick