distance for clean kill

dando44

:yes: i new to the shooting of rabbit etc

what is the best range to shoot at them AAS400 .177 ?

I have been shooting at around 25 yards but seems to hard to get that close

maybe 40yards would be better or is that too far for a clean kill

any way your the pro's at this soif you could give me a little advice that would be great

:good:

Therotically you could and some people do hunt at that distance however you would need to be a very consistent shot and be able to group your shots into the size of a 1p piece .

The stalking is part of the challenge for airrifle hunting ! :good:

ok cheers will stick to 25 30 yards then

45 yards easy with a .177

He said he's new to shooting , do you really think we should be telling him to shoot at this distance before he has enough experience and range finding ability ?

Also he's gotta learn fieldcraft at some time not all his rabbits will be at 45 yards :good:

Also can i ask how your intending to shoot at these distances ? i.e standing prone kneeling ?

Is this your first rifle and have you put plenty of time in punching paper , it sounds patronizing but really does improve your shooting

Edited by oneshotkiller

He said he's new to shooting , do you really think we should be telling him to shoot at this distance before he has enough experience and range finding ability ?

Also he's gotta learn fieldcraft at some time not all his rabbits will be at 45 yards :good:

Also can i ask how your intending to shoot at these distances ? i.e standing prone kneeling ?

Is this your first rifle and have you put plenty of time in punching paper , it sounds patronizing but really does improve your shooting

you aint patronizing dont worry need all the help i can get, im on a bipod at the mo will keep punching paper for a while yet going out on friday as gained a few acres to shoot on, its not my first rifle had all the chinese rubbish to begin with and got the air gun bug, so invested in a AAS400 which seems to be good

thanks again

I regularly shoot them at 60yards plus...oh wait a minute wrong forum, :good:

With a non-FAC rifle, 25-30 yards is about right, the skill with stalking rabbits perhaps lies more in the stalking than the shooting sometimes. Recently my Tuesday nights have been happily spent stalking about 400acres and getting to know what works and doesn't. I can go some nights and come home with nothing or up to 4 rabbits (my best so far), either way I've still had a great time out in the fresh air rather than sitting in watching some mindless **** on the TV.

And if you shoot the young'uns or prep the old ones correctly, they're bloody delicious!

Edited by Colster

i wasnt saying he should shoot them at 45 yards , he asked what it would be capable of and i said 45 yards easy what a .177 sub 12ft lb gun can do with ease ! all my air rifle shooting is often out the car window either rested on the wingmirror or the frame of the car and i no my pellets fly flat from 25 yards to 45 yards with hardly any drop goes to about 60 yards with just under a mildot on the scope as people have said try shooting some targets untill you get comfortable with the range and making sure you hit the spot time and time again , i started by putting targets at different distances and seeing what the difference was , but had to start all over again when i chaged from .22 to .177 and would never go back from .177 again now i have found the pellets what work in my gun and ALWAYS give a clean kill , i was using some FTT what was hitting rabbits at up to 40 yards and punching straight through them and they was managing to run / drag / back flip in to the edge before i could retrive now with the new pellets when its hit its dead !

You probably already know this but...

If you're shooting off a bi-pod I find it easiest to lay up, with the wind in your face and stay really still until two or three come back out, sometimes this can take up to 30 minutes waiting, other times they come bouncing back out after only 5 minutes (silly wabbit). I managed three in quick succession this week by hardly moving and staying low / quiet.

Happy shooting!

All good advice above , a lot of learning to shoot is trial and error sometimes you will come back empty handed othertimes 4-6 scuts.

A lot of fieldcraft is common sense really ; if your stalking try not to skyline yourself stay downwind and as low as possible , if you ambushing get comfy as sometimes your in for a long wait also if your scope had a milidot or multiaimpoint system learn to use it they really are invaluble when youve mastered them.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction :good:

when stalking rabbits i try to get to within 30yrds as i know i can comfortably take the shot standing,kneeling or prone(or sat ft style). But if i get the feeling the rabbits going to leg it, i will take a shot(not standing) at upto 45 ish yards. With an s400 in .177 on a bipod you should be able to whack them at this range no problem(with practice if needed). If your struggling to stalk in range, have a go at lamping(take off bipod you dont need the extra weight) because providing the rabbits are'nt lampshy and you move quietly enough, you can get them much closer. The hardest part of air rifle shooting is range estimation. A range finder is invaluable until you can do it accurately with your own eyes!! good shooting mate. Me an chev are off ratting then lamping tonight :hmm:

I'm off to lamp a small holding tonight , good advice about the rangefinder i forgot about that , i think deben do a cheap 1 at the minute ?

If you cant afford a range finder simply adding a few markers a day or so before you shoot can help , i did this when i first started and it does bring your rangefinding up to scratch relativly quickly :hmm:

I'm off to lamp a small holding tonight , good advice about the rangefinder i forgot about that , i think deben do a cheap 1 at the minute ?

If you cant afford a range finder simply adding a few markers a day or so before you shoot can help , i did this when i first started and it does bring your rangefinding up to scratch relativly quickly :hmm:

Another way I found useful is to get to know the relative size of a bunny's head in your crosshairs at different known ranges. A dead one is ideal or a silhouette, then pace distances away from it and see how much of your scope it occupies at different ranges.

Edited by Colster

I really like the way you guys show proper courtesy to newbies. This forum is something of a breath of fresh air!

Plenty of advice in just a few posts. '45 yards easy (apparently) but learn your craft first' is what I get from that. Many other forumites from less civilised forums would either show off or ignore the question as being beneath them. Thanks guys.

I think were quite a nice forum , really helped me when i joined and it contains some very knowledgable people on here .

Also bought my hw77 off here and it was a bargain ! :hmm:

my scope seems to blar a little at 45yards so when im using my webley stingrayll i know when my quary is to far but the above post by Colster is how i started getting used to distance and works great but also getting to know your new lead spitting friend will also help :hmm:

Also he's gotta learn fieldcraft at some time not all his rabbits will be at 45 yards :lol:

Is this your first rifle and have you put plenty of time in punching paper , it sounds patronizing but really does improve your shoot

well said oneshotkiller. :hmm:

its to easy just to hurt something with a airgun.

this makes me sick!

I have no problem with killing things. :lol:

But to take on anything you arnt sure you are going to kill out right is wrong. :hmm:

when you first start shooting its really hard to judge distance,really hard.

After 25years of shooting ,sometimes i pace things out ,and can be way out.

If you want to take rabbits at long range 50-55 yrds ,i would go for a rimfire and do the job properly.(or fac air gun)

You have to be good to get them at those ranges all the time.(with sub 12 ft lb)

cheers scott

• 4 weeks later...

Some excellent advice and comments here from people who obviously know what they are doing.............

I think it should also be pointed out though for someone who is just starting out, that ( exitement, addrnaline rush, a fast pumping heart and a few shakes ) plays a big part in shooting your first few LIVE targets. All that at 45 yards adds up to a complete miss or a wounded animal. Not Good. A few deep breaths before pulling the trigger, will help to calm the nerves but please at a senssible distance, 25 to 30 yards and in the kill zone.... :yes:

I really like the way you guys show proper courtesy to newbies. This forum is something of a breath of fresh air!

Plenty of advice in just a few posts. '45 yards easy (apparently) but learn your craft first' is what I get from that. Many other forumites from less civilised forums would either show off or ignore the question as being beneath them. Thanks guys.

I'll second that, this forum is great for learning. I'm looking forward to when i have something to offer back.

Thanks all. :yes: