Gold Trigger Plating

Fuji Shooter

Had a number of emails and PM's asking how I got on doing this.

First off as I couldn't find anyone local that did this I purchased my own Gold Plating Tank (I can use this for my work also, so lose the cost)

Here is the lads Winchester 101 - completely original and in great condition apart from the 2" I chopped off his stock :good:

trig-1.jpg

Took about 15 minutes to remove the stock and then remove the trigger.

trig-2.jpg

Let it spin the the Walnut shell centrifuge polisher for 1 hour to try and put a sine on it. (not easy as the trigger was originally cast)

trig-3.jpg

Now plated with 24K Gold at a decent thickness

trig-4.jpg

Back on the gun and looks a lot better.

trig-5.jpg

i plated mine years ago as a friend was into learning how to inlay gold. i let him practice on mine. looking at the picture you should have polished it first, then nickel plated it to get the shine. gold is pretty dull unless its polished so you need the nickel undercoat to get the shine on the finished item.

a lot of people think its expensive, but its not, the thickness of the plating is nothing. with an old wedding ring you could easily plate a couple of cars for the amount of gold you would would use to do it. recomend you put about 5/7 microns on though as this will last years. 25 microns = 0.001"

Yep - I should have nickel plated it first, I just wanted to see if I could work the machine as its different voltages to the one I use for Titanium.

I'll try again this time I'll plate it in nickel or Silver first.

Here is a piece of 925 Silver that I plated - its all about the base finish.

clip.jpg

Edited by Freakmode

Well its not bad for a first go and looks better on the gun than in a close up photo.

Also my son is only 11 so he enjoyed taking his gun to pieces and hammering out pins, plating and putting back together.

He loved showing all he guys at the club his new look gun so it was worth it. :good: