17 hmr on golf course

deadeye ive

AS the title suggests,the police under no circumstances will allow me to use my ruger10/22(rimfire) on a golf course where i have permission to use fac airgun and shotgun but i notice from this forum that a lot of shooters can use 17hmrs on their golf courses.Is it a staffordshire thing or is it to do with the ballistics of the bullets :lol: B) :D

I shoot over 5 golf courses of which 4 are cleared for .22 so therefore .17hmr and one which is cleared for .223 and dont have an open ticket !!!

All of these are criss crossed with public footpaths and one is only 1 mile from Brighton city center!!!!!!

And Sussex is supposed to be one of the stricter police forces concerning firearms!

Cheers,

Brian...

It is unlikely that the police will pass a golf course for a cartridge type rifle of any calibre, so unless you have a “Open” ticket, (which would allow you to shoot wherever you think safe) you will have to stay with your air rifle.

G.M.

I can apply for an open ticket oct 2006,but at a risk of asking a stupid question , if the police won't pass it for a rimfire how can i when i'm open and with permission from the committee could i for EXAMPLE use my .223 on the foxes( this is just a senario ,only shoot foxes if there is a reason too) B) :lol:

I shoot over 5 golf courses of which 4 are cleared for .22 so therefore .17hmr and one which is cleared for .223 and dont have an open ticket !!!

All of these are criss crossed with public footpaths and one is only 1 mile from Brighton city center!!!!!!

And Sussex is supposed to be one of the stricter police forces concerning firearms!

Cheers,

Brian...

Brian ,could you elaborate a bit more cause if its ok for one police force it should be ok all over

Some one once told me staffs was more lenient than derbys and this course is in derbys.

I have 10yrs experience, 4 trs on a license and the committee would have no objections as i coulcd controll the rabbits more efficiently with a 17hmr.

Have i a case here without winding plod up to much? B) :lol:

I can apply for an open ticket oct 2006,but at a risk of asking a stupid question , if the police won't pass it for a rimfire how can i when i'm open and with permission from the committee could i for EXAMPLE use my .223 on the foxes( this is just a senario ,only shoot foxes if there is a reason too) B) :lol:

If you have an open ticket, then it doesn’t matter if the land hasn’t been passed because YOU are passing it yourself as “Safe” to shoot.

The only thing to think about is the fact that YOU are solely responsible for these actions, and if you do screw-up then God help you, because the police will crucify you. :D

G.M.

Brian ,could you elaborate a bit more cause if its ok for one police force it should be ok all over

Deadeye the way i understand it is that each police force is free to interpret the firearm laws as they please!! hence the difference between counties. :D

For instance i know someone with a .308 cleared for vermin living in kent but Sussex wont let me have my .223 for vermin , fox only. :<

While not huge issue , if he can why cant i !!!!!!!!

I was told that only way i might get was that if i got rid of all my other rifles leaving me with just the .223!!!!! Yer right!!!!!

Now to get the golf course cleared for .223 i simply asked my F.E.O to meet me at the course to discuse it and after a little chat i persuaded him that it would be safe :lol: B)

That might be worth a try!!!

Good luck,

Brian....

Can someone clear this up for me?

I have held a shotgun certificate for 20 years but only got my firearms certificate last June. I was under the impression that I would only be able to shoot on certain named farms for the first term of my cert. The FLO has a list of 39 farms that my dad and I use our rifles on. my certificate says the following in it's additional conditions:-

The holder of this certificate may possess, purchase or aquire expanding ammunition, or the missiles of such ammunition, in the calibres autherised by this certificate and may use such ammunition only in connection with one or more of the following , namely (A.) the lawful shooting of deer (B.) the shooting of vermin or, in the course of carrying on activities in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife (C.) the humane killing of animals (D.) the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans.

The .22/250 bolt action rifle and ammunition shall be used for shooting Fox and Roe deer as prescribed under the Deer (firearms etc)(Scotland) order 1985 on land in Scotland, and zeroing on ranges or any land in Great Britain deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

It has very similar terms for the .22rf and .22 Hornet except for vermin and ground game with the .22rf and Foxes, Vermin and ground game for the .22 Hornet.

Does this mean I can shoot on any farm so long as it has been passed for my calibre of rifle? not just over the named farms I have?

Mark.

Edited by M ROBSON

(firearms etc)(Scotland) order 1985 on land in Scotland, and zeroing on ranges or any land in Great Britain deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.[/i]

Mark.

Mark

Basically your the same as me SEMI OPEN MEANING YOU CAN ONLY SHOOT ON LAND DEEMED SUITABLE FOR THAT CLASS OF FIREARM CHECKED BY A CHIEF OF POLICE.

Heres a simple example of this ruling.Providing its ok with the owner you can come on land that i have had passed up to .243 with your firearm. :lol:

,thanks for the clarity

Lurcherboy .........yes

Brian ,As i thought the counties opperate under different guidelines but i am going to address the issue with my FLO ( but very tactfully) :D:lol:

I meant to say gemini

It's my birthday tommorrow and i'm a bit pi**ed :huh: B)

Cheers Deadeye,

That's what I though but folk kept telling me I would only be able to shoot over named farms for my first term.

Mark.

Mark

Seeing as your only 1 year into your firearms and you aquire more land ,just check with your FLO as you may find the land as previously been passed(saves unerving the land owner with a visit from the police)

Also staffs WILL NOT let me apply for a open ticket until my 5 yrs are up no matter how much experience i've attained ,certificates obtained or the amount of ammo i've used.Some shooters told me i could apply as soon as 3 yrs if i could prove i shot enough ammo .It's not the case ,5yrs means 5yrs :lol: B)

Deadeye,

I shoot a local golf course to control the rabbits for my brother-in-law.

I had to have the land inspected by the FLO when I informed them that I was going to shoot over the land.

The first nine holes are quite hilly and undulating, but the last nine holes are on a very flat area.

The comment from the FLO?

''Try to stick to the first nine holes and be extra careful of the backstop when out shooting''

Not possible when the majority of the warrens are on the flat part of the course.

Advice for anyone shooting rimfire or centrefire.

Be sure of the backstop and make sure that you identify the quarry before you pull the trigger. You can't make sure after the shot has been taken!!

Be extra careful in the wet or morning dew. The little rounds can ricochet even on wet grass.

Rob.

Thanks Rob

Am i to understand that you are allowed to use centrefire on your golfcourse and you are semi-open

Could it be that i have 24hr permission and there is a public footpath to be aware of .I should point out that i through personal choice only shoot between dusk and dawn. :rolleyes: :

,thanks for the clarity

Lurcherboy .........yes

Brian ,As i thought the counties opperate under different guidelines but i am going to address the issue with my FLO ( but very tactfully) <_<  :rolleyes:

I meant to say gemini

It's my birthday tommorrow and i'm a bit pi**ed :lol::rolleyes:

Happy birthday should have said could ave got you a pint in <_<

i would seriously say that some pieces of land (dependant on ground type) are better suited to a centerfire, rimfire is a heavy old piece and its not expanding very much at all, so if you hit something like hard ground, the chances of a ricochet are great, however, generally with any light bulleted centerfire say hornet up to 243, the expansion is so sudden and devistating that you would get less ricochet's, i have never in about 9 years of shooting them had a ricochet with a centerfire, unfortuantly this is not the case by a long way with the rimfire, graunted ive probably put 10x as many round through a rimfire over my years, but you get my point, rimfires and ricochets go hand in hand, all you can do is make sure you have a large backstop and your not shooting hard ground with rocks in it

now to the point, i think sometimes plod talks out of his bum when assesing land, in many cases i can think of a centerfire is just as suitable for a piece of land, if not more than a rimfire.