Me And Trix after 1 Week's Training

ShaggyRS6

Probably setting myself up for some flak, hope not. Constructive comments are welcome though.

This is me and Trix after one week.

2 Sessions a day each session lasts 1 hour to 1 hour 30. Within that time period we do the training you can see in the vid, although I have condensed it down to 10 mins to show what we do (hence her getting a little bored)

Constructive comments would be welcome.

Videographer was my boy!!!! Not bad using my mates flip Video for the 1st time:)

Edited by ShaggyRS6

great video... well done to your lad :good:

Its hard to give CC as i am no expert...what I would say is........this works for me... try to relax a little... you seem to be getting frustrated when trixi doesn't do what she is told 1st time..... SLOW SLOW SLOW ..a dog will pick up your vibes..

if she don't sit at distance... get her back, give 1 blow of the whistle then the command sit..also using the hand signal..do this every time she comes back to you....... she will then learn that 1 whistle blow = SIT............ at this stage....don't walk towards her..when you have given the command..stand still

the RECALL..... Give 3 clear blows of the whistle... call her. ( TRIXI COME) .pat your legs calling her name .. Be Exciting ....when she is close enough..give 1 blow...she should now SIT....make a small fuss of her (making sure she is still sitting) I don't use the WAIT command yet as the word SIT should cover this

I was told the other day 2 blows = change direction..that will come later.....

Dogs will only remember so many words....they dont know the meaning of them but they understand the sound... so keep the commands short and sweet :rolleyes:

you said in the Video ...." she is getting bord now" ........ i would say ..to much to quick .....

On your next walk..try .... SIT ...... throw the dummy.... SIT......(introduce the word ) ." FETCH."....... RECALL....... SIT...... take dummy back ..then let her run around for 10 minutes.....

repeat ..... then let her run around again.. that will be enough do this all week

I can only say what is working for me and Kai...... keep it simple ...keep it short...

best wishes

john

Thanks for the advice there Jasper.

Regarding the pips she was trained on 2 and so is my ESS so I will keep 2 pips for the recall.

8/10 she will sit and wait then fetch, its just cos i crammed it in to the video that she did not.

I must admit though. I dont know how "gruff" with her i should be.

Looks like a nice dog when you was walking away from her to the dummy and she kept following you try walking away facing her with your hand held up either saying wait or sit but perhaps leave this until she is 100% on sitting and staying.

You could sit her up walk 10-15 yards away if she makes any attempt to move go straight back to her and sit her down again, repeat until she stays sat, once she has master this you could then do the same and walk in a circle around her making sure she remains sat on the spot u left her.

Also try not to nag the dog for example when heeling if she wont do it of the lead pop her straight back on tell her to heel if she gets to far ahead just a yank you don’t have to say anything do this for 10-15 yards then take the lead off and try again.

When giving her the pip on the whistle to sit, if she doesn’t sit when you tell her straight away don’t keep say sit sit sit walk over to her and push her bum down on to the ground saying sit.

When recalling her make sure she comes in to you not wonders round or comes half way then carry’s on hunting.

But keep up the good work and don’t try to much to soon get the basic 100% before you move onto anything to advance

Matty

i would forget about the dummie work and work on the heal and sits for a start , and use a lead and also remember never put the dog in a possition where it wont do what it is told .

You should work on the sits where the dog is only told once as if you keep having to tell her more than once then the dog will never sit untill told more than once .. Also try to keep calm

Yeah I tried all of your comments this sarvo. It went so much better.

The lowering the tone of voice. The patting of the knee. She reacts so much better, so I am thankful that I posted the video. :yes: and will do another next week.

The heal she does fine, and again the sits, with a nice voice, she just does them :blink:

Horaah!!!!

Shaggy,

I bumped into the Worcester Gun Dog Society at the Three Counties Show and they had a 6 week course starting a few weeks later.

I have done the course and learned so much. It's less about training the dog and more about training me to train the dog.

I get the impression from the video that the dog is getting the better of you. I think this is the worst mistake you can make as it will make you life so much harder. Good thing is it's one of the easiest things to rectify. The dog seems very keen and enthuiastic so you should be ok.

I would recomend getting some training as you will be amazed how much you will learn.

Harry

Shaggy,

I have just watched your video through again and it would appear that of all the commands, whistles and shouts you gave she only did what she was told 3 times. That was for the sit, walk to heel and sit at the end.

Personally I would not have moved on from the "trixie come" 38 seconds into the video until she came.

You are giving a command then giving a different one before she has done the first.

I think she may be getting a bit confused with the volume of commands your shouting and you also call her name a lot but do not follow up with a command.

What does shouting "Trixie" mean? If I cant work it out how can she be expected to? Do you even need to say "Trixie" when you give her a command as she would probably think you were speaking to her anyway? The less said the better I think.

As someone else has already said 15-20 mins at a time is fine. Let her blow of some steam first then sit her and let her settle. Start training and concentrate on one thing at a time.

Good Luck

Harry

I'd buy & read these http://www.thegundogclub.co.uk/shop/books/index.html grades 1 & 2 would do for starters. Wouldn't bother with any of their courses though as I think they're expensive. Read the books & try work it out from there, if you get stuck contact a pro gundog trainer locally. You can usually get lessons for £20 an hour & from personal experience it's money well spent. Remember it's you that needs training to train the dog.