All round .223

TheHunter

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It did seem very nose heavy but so did most of the bull barreled rifles inc tikka, remmy an browning.

Has anyone ever added weight to a stock to get CofG around the bolt? I have done it for shotguns (hinge pin) but never rifles. I found that more weight in the right place was better than less weight in the wrong place. Anyone?

TH

Mate of mine did it to a T3 Lite, made a world of difference to it.

Have a look at the CZ Laminate Varmint in 223, Mays of London had one not so long ago, of course they may have sold it, but IIRC it was screwcut. The balance on the CZs somehow is pretty darn good. The barrel isn't as heavy as a Remington, but that's fine in my book for an all rounder!

Just looked at a Howa varmint laminated thumbhole.

Anything to watch out for with one of these? shootingUK.co.uk seem to like it.

TH

Seriously dont do it and dont waste your money. Nicks has never shot straight (and he has shot my 595 ok). It seems to have a different POA every outing! He has the exact same spec, steer a wide berth!

Seriously dont do it and dont waste your money. Nicks has never shot straight (and he has shot my 595 ok). It seems to have a different POA every outing! He has the exact same spec, steer a wide berth!

So that means that they're all **** then? Mine drives tacks at 100 yards and so do the vast majority. <_<:hmm:

Oh! and I have the same spec. I wonder how many 595's don't shoot well? Does that mean that they're all **** and should be avoided?

Don't talk so much **** man. :P:hmm::D:good:

Because younger people know nothing and only you are always right.

Thats the attitude <_<

Not at all sunshine. Younger people have taught me a lot ant it's been well appreciated. But maybe, for what you've contributed to my education, you should stick to taking pictures. :good:

Not at all sunshine. Younger people have taught me a lot ant it's been well appreciated. But maybe, for what you've contributed to my education, you should stick to taking pictures. <_<

I dont wish to educate you, equally my opinion is as valid as yours, kindly dismount your high horse and allow other opinions to be expressed, thats what this forum is about. :good:

I believe I stated a fact in my reply to Skippy. You openly admit that you couldn't shoot your Howa. But that doesn't mean that Howa's should be avoided. So where are you coming from with this? menstrual week maybe? <_<

My comment regarding my opinion goes back many years of your snide comments targeted at me.

Skippy said that my gun had not shot from day 1 and dont do it (or words to that affect), to which you respond: Don't talk so much **** man.

Sounds to me like you are stopping him from voicing an opinion. Its your poor attitude and inability to accept that someone else might wish to express an opinion or experiance that irritates me. Ontop of which you then proceed to swear at someone you dont know.

My opinions on the Howa is like a Broken record, i need not say anything, the OP can decide what he likes, but to do this having a range of responses and different experiences may help.

Chaps, Nick has a wealth of experience on guns and comes from a shooting family. He also has a joker card knowledge on mainstream electrical goods and photography.

His opinion is one of the few on here that I actually value.

.....................and? <_<

Chaps, Nick has a wealth of experience on guns and comes from a shooting family. He also has a joker card knowledge on mainstream electrical goods and photography.

His opinion is one of the few on here that I actually value.

Is there a hint of I wish I'd listened in that!

Back on topic!

I had a Howa thumbhole in 223, and it shot very well. but I would never advise one for a general purpose .223 because it's a 1:12 twist barrel so if you want something for the range, it ain't it!

Get something with a 1:9 or 1:8 twist, then you have heavy bullets for the range and can shoot lighter stuff for the fields too. That means your choices are:

Tikka

Sako

CZ Laminate or Kevlar Varmint (the plain Varmint has a 1:12)

Steyr

Savage

Remington SPS Tactical or LTR or 700P

Of those, the CZ is the lightest varmint barrel, but Tikka wins because you can get a 22" 1:8 twist barrel if you shop around, and you might even find some old stock for < 550 quid. And it's basically the only rifle which:

* is well known for shooting straight

* is a light barrel and so can be carried

* has a fast twist and can shoot a 75 gr A-max (which means your range work goes up to about 800 yards, maybe further with the right load)

* isn't particularly expensive

Job done, bitching or otherwise.

For the record, no, I don't own one. I have a Remington SPS Tactical for the range and a CZ for the fields. Both are good rifles, but if I'd bought the Tikka then I'd only own one of the two.