iPhone vs Blackberry?

Baldrick

I'm switching from Vodafone (sadly not for a few weeks, having just confirmed my current contract's termination date), but yes, I would hope that O2 welcomes me with open arms. Supply of the 3GS phones seems very tight. I am wondering whether to hold out until December, to see if there are any festive offers.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm switching from Vodafone (sadly not for a few weeks, having just confirmed my current contract's termination date), but yes, I would hope that O2 welcomes me with open arms. Supply of the 3GS phones seems very tight. I am wondering whether to hold out until December, to see if there are any festive offers.

Very unlikely. My best advice is to avoid the 24 month contract at all costs. Apple so far have released a new phone in June of the last 3 years. I've left contracts and upgraded early to get the new ones. You'll still have 18 months left (if you take the 24 month) and will have to sit that out. Believe me, the iPhone isn't the hardiest of phones, so I really think your phone will have taken quite a beating after that long!

You'll need to ring up O2 and try to get your name on the waiting list. Make it quite clear you're leaving Vodafone and they should stick you nearer the top of the list, as they generally accept that current customers will wait longer, whereas new customers can and will go to any company.

Dependent on how fussed you are about looking like a bit of a mincer, I do know you can get a white iPhone quicker than a black one. They hide cosmetic scratches far better than the black ones.

There is a very good chance it will be available on Voda and\or Orange as soon as next month :hmm: shhhh. O2's exclusivity deal ends next month and they are a million miles away from selling the number of iPhones they comitted to for the exclusivity to remain.

Chances are from what i have been told from the trade that anyone citing the iPhone as a reason for leaving Voda are being told to stay around for a month or two as *something* may be in the offing... another clue is that Voda have just upgraded their voicemail system having only done so a year ago, rumours are that it was to add iPhone functionality.

Personally i think you have made a good choice, my Bold is for work and is a business tool. The second the iPhone appears on Orange i'm swapping my N95 8GB for one.

Cheers,

Jon.

There is a very good chance it will be available on Voda and\or Orange as soon as next month :hmm: shhhh. O2's exclusivity deal ends next month and they are a million miles away from selling the number of iPhones they comitted to for the exclusivity to remain.

Chances are from what i have been told from the trade that anyone citing the iPhone as a reason for leaving Voda are being told to stay around for a month or two as *something* may be in the offing... another clue is that Voda have just upgraded their voicemail system having only done so a year ago, rumours are that it was to add iPhone functionality.

Very interesting. Vodafone didn't allude to anything when I spoke to their service centre an hour ago, but I do recall something in the Times about O2's performance in its contract with Apple.

Your upgrade cost you how much?

My next day black 3gs upgrade was erm..... substantially less than that :hmm:

Well, to be exact £190 to pay off my remaining contract and £174 for the phone. So not quite £400, but certainly near enough...!

;) that's dedication for ya!

EDIT: And yes, I paid off the remaining contract that I held with O2... So they do truly value their customers!

Edited by harfordwmj

Very interesting. Vodafone didn't allude to anything when I spoke to their service centre an hour ago, but I do recall something in the Times about O2's performance in its contract with Apple.

Looks like Orange won:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8278073.stm

I will definitely be upgrading my N95 as soon as the iPone is available on Orange.

Jon.

From the Telegraph.

Opening up the phone to a third operator will almost certainly result in a price war that will see more than £100 knocked off the price of the iPhone.

"There will be a price war," said Steven Hartley, analyst at technology research house Ovum. "Research shows that in every country where there is more than one operator selling it, it is cheaper

Now that I like. :blink:

With three operators able to supply the iPhone the prices will come down, I'll wait awhile if I was you. (and me)

M.

It's possible that you may have to wait quite a while. The Register is suggesting that the negotiating clout of Cupertino is such that Apple will have a (large) say in 'partner' pricing resulting in a raft of near identical offerings in any given geography.

I would suspect that the iPhone is unlikely to reduce significantly in price until a rival product begins to approach it in market appeal. (Having said that, Apple did recently reduce the entry level price of the iPod touch in order to bring it below a specific price point - $199.)

It's possible that you may have to wait quite a while. The Register is suggesting that the negotiating clout of Cupertino is such that Apple will have a (large) say in 'partner' pricing resulting in a raft of near identical offerings in any given geography.

I would suspect that the iPhone is unlikely to reduce significantly in price until a rival product begins to approach it in market appeal. (Having said that, Apple did recently reduce the entry level price of the iPod touch in order to bring it below a specific price point - $199.)

Will be interesting to see what the EU competion commision makes of that, mind you the new Palm device is due out next month on O2 which is supposed to be an iPhone beater.

When they finally get the enterprise controls sorted for the iPhone they may be in a position to gain a massive number of customers in the enterprise.

Jon.

Just found out my 3GS had a problem receiving calls - most were going straight to voice mail, though I had a full signal and no problems calling out.

O2's customer service was **** - ''never heard of the problem mate, you'll need to take it to an O2 store''. Call me old fashioned but I don't like 'mate' when calling customer services with a problem and I like it even less when I get no help whatsoever.

So I dropped into the O2 store at the 'O2' in Greenwich on the way home from work. ''sounds like a problem with the phone, we'll need to send it off which will take about 14 days''. And no replacement phone, forget it :lol:

Instead, booked an appointment at the iphone genius bar in the Apple store at Lakeside. In at 6.50 this evening, out at 7.10 with a new replacement phone. No messing.

Love the iphone :good:

Love the Apple support at the store :hmm:

No time for the non existent **** support from O2 :lol:

Now, let's see if that backup works..........

Edited by Bagsy

• 5 weeks later...