Browning 525 safety

Bear68

I too have a 525, i'm perfectly happy with the manual safety for game use, and it certainly makes it easier for claying.

However, i do believe that the parts are available to convert to auto-safety. The lack of auto-safety is to do with the American market to stop people shooting themselves and blaming the manufacturer..... "Its Browning's fault because you said the safety is automatic...." etc etc..

Any good gunsmith will be able to convert it for you.

The clay guns were manual game auto, Nordic also auto safe personal I think safety catches are bad they do not make the gun safe........ If it is a used one it may have been converted to manual difference is only a small rod.

If there is a round in the chamber it's loaded and ready to fire, open gun=safe, closed gun=not safe

The clay guns were manual game auto, Nordic also auto safe personal I think safety catches are bad they do not make the gun safe........ If it is a used one it may have been converted to manual difference is only a small rod.

If there is a round in the chamber it's loaded and ready to fire, open gun=safe, closed gun=not safe

My 525 is a game gun, and no Brownings are now sold with auto-safety enabled, certainly in the UK.

But i agree with you, there is much more to safety than auto-safe! which is why i don't want mine converting.

My 525 is a game gun, and no Brownings are now sold with auto-safety enabled, certainly in the UK.

I believe the "Nordic" model has an auto safety to meet regulations in certain European countries and was/is available in the UK

Yes, it should be possible to get a gunsmith to convert it to auto safety.

But, as HDAV has also said, when a gun is closed it MUST be treated as ready to fire regardless of whether the safety catch is applied or not. The same goes for any type of gun, semi, pump, rifles etc.

I think you'll find that the vast majority of accidents occur because 'I thought the safety was on' or because it failed. Carrying a gun with the hammer cocked and ready to fire on a cartridge is waiting for an accident.

If a gun is closed then it obviously must be pointed in a safe direction as it could fire, so having a safety catch on is therefore pointless.

Yes, it should be possible to get a gunsmith to convert it to auto safety.

But, as HDAV has also said, when a gun is closed it MUST be treated as ready to fire

If a gun is closed then it obviously must be pointed in a safe direction as it could fire, so having a safety catch on is therefore pointless.

A'men to that!