Beretta silver pigeon 1 or Browning B525??? Sporter or game version?

Oli383

Hi guys new to the forum, I am new to shotguns certificate has been sent a few weeks ago and cabinet is in. I have done allot of research and spoken to some gun rooms and am struggling on which gun to choose.

For my lessons I am using a Beretta silver pigeon but it was not a full on sporter or game not 100% sure, anyway I have had a look at my local gun shop and have held the Browning B525 30 inch sporter, the gun felt really nice, every time i lifted the gun it came up nicely and didnt have to adjust it to look down the rib, I then held a beretta silver pigeon 1 game 28 as they did not have the 30 sporter, apart from barrel dont know what the differences are between game and sporter versions of the beretta, and it felt really nice but i couldnt apear to look down the rib.

My tutor let me also shoot a miruko (excuse spelling) that he said was same as the B525 with same length barrel and sporter version, the gun was really nice and after a few shots felt pretty comfortable with it.

Now the problem is from what I have held and shot the Browning is the better fit and feel i think but when I look at the two guns i much prefere the dark wood on the beretta and the barrel slection/safety is nicer on the beretta in my opinion. I not sure wether the vented barrels on the browning would be anoying to clean. Im going to see a beretta sporter version saturday just to see if it is any different compared to the game and see how it feels hopefully I can get some feedback of owners and people who have tried both. As I will be buying the gun new and really dont want to get it wrong being 16 and having to save for anotehr 4 months :no:

Also wondering if people do recomend the sporter? I think it is the way to go for myself as I will be doing pretty much everything, in the hide, clays, rough shooting round the fields and game, Thought I would go for the sporter due to it being better on the clay days for the shoulder, having the better barrels for larger cartridge loads, and im used to the air rifle so thought the extra weight would be ok and the 30 inch barrels would be a good inbetweener for everything?

Hope I am not blabering on to much I just litrally cannot afford to get this wrong :no: Hopefully some of you can help with some of my many questions and hopefully can get some good replies of some of you guys and gals. :good:

Many thanks in return Oli :yes::yes:

Firstly, I would suggest second hand. That way, there is less of a financial issue if you do get it wrong. 30" would be good for clay, may be slightly long for the field ( I'm sure others will disagree )

I was told the Browning and Miruko were " the same gun " but the felt different, to the extent the Browning 525 fitted, but the M didn't.

Browning or Beretta are safe bets. I don't know your budget but a second hand 525 sporting 30" could be yours for around £1000 for a good, clean basic wood gun from a dealer. ( You will get some warrantee from a dealer to ).

There are also a growing amount of comments that the latest Beretta new guns are no where near as good as the older guns....

Ok thanks guys deffo going to be browning or beretta just notsure which one, I dont know wether to go second hand as I will prob own for a very long time and I do like things from new, would deffo consider a second hand though if the right one came up.

Many thanks Oli

Browning and miroku are very similar berretta is quite different in fit usually, dont buy without shooting the gun your going buy or a demo gun of same spec and measurements, if possible take coach with you or gun to him/her.

DOnt be afriad to look further away than local dealers and to barter...... wood can be made darker if that is your preference.......

Browning and miroku are very similar berretta is quite different in fit usually, dont buy without shooting the gun your going buy or a demo gun of same spec and measurements, if possible take coach with you or gun to him/her.

DOnt be afriad to look further away than local dealers and to barter...... wood can be made darker if that is your preference.......

Ok thanks for the advice, most appriciated, I agree would like to try and shoot the beretta sporter

I think the old adage of " if it feels right then it probably is" might be the way to go, you instinctively feel comfortable with the Browning so perhaps go with that? I bought a Browning 525 after using one at High Lodge with

an instructor, it felt right and I am very happy with my choice, I did try one or two others but felt happier with the 525, mine is 28" version. About the woodwork, when I ordered mine, the rfd got in two for me to choose

from and the difference in depth of colour of the wood was quite pronounced, one being a lot lighter and less figured. As has been said often, try as many as you can and go with what fits and feels right.....

good luck with what you decide. :good:

I think the old adage of " if it feels right then it probably is" might be the way to go, you instinctively feel comfortable with the Browning so perhaps go with that? I bought a Browning 525 after using one at High Lodge with

an instructor, it felt right and I am very happy with my choice, I did try one or two others but felt happier with the 525, mine is 28" version. About the woodwork, when I ordered mine, the rfd got in two for me to choose

from and the difference in depth of colour of the wood was quite pronounced, one being a lot lighter and less figured. As has been said often, try as many as you can and go with what fits and feels right.....

good luck with what you decide. :good:

Ok thanks yea I think I am leaning more towards the browning as I think it will be the one that fits me better, is the biuld quality as good ont he browning and main also how anoying are those vented barrels to clean?

Oli

Ok thinking about it starting to consider second hand if it was mint, would deffo save me allot of money, my worry is I dont know what to look for on a second hand gun but then I would only buy if it looked new i think.

Thanks guys could save me allot of money here

+ 1 on the above, (gordons post) but if your using it in a hide and clays 28 inch is better than 30, just my opinion mind as when I use a 30 inch it just feels way to long to be swinging round a hide

atb Evo

ps welcome to PW

Edited by evo

I havent shot a 28 inch but didnt feel the same when I held one, I feel pretty comfortable with the 30 I think, Coach said that I was bringing the Miruko up nicer and I looked more comfortable with it, but he did say the beretta fitted my build well also, Im 6ft 9.5 stone still growing tho :(

Deffo need to have a look at the sporter beretta and try and make my decision, If i am honest like local rfd said the guns both fit me and would probably both be fine, the one you get and start with you will get used too. It would make it allot easier if one of them didnt fit but they both do but am really getting into a muddle with it, would love to have them both side by side at the club and just shoot a few shots through both.

Thanks for all the replys guys what a great forum

take your coach..... both are easily maintained and parts available and not silly expensive. Dealers will offer warranty on used guns either the browning 525 or silve rpigeon can be had for £1k in good used condition.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Beretta_Shotgun_687-Silver-Pigeon-S_For-Sale_131004002257319

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Browning_Shotgun_B525-Grade-1-Sporter_For-Sale_130810144052001

Or for the price of a new silver pig or B525 http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Caesar-Guerini_Shotgun_Summit_For-Sale_131013215133400

Edited by HDAV

I'll be honest the beretta model number confuse the hell out of me for what is oretty much the same gun they have lots of different numbers all 68 series are similar its a question of how similar...

I tend to agree i have treid to look into what is what but with no succsess

I have a 687 game gun 28" and it does me rather well - bought it 16 or more years ago.

I bought it for 2 reasons - I liked the look of it and I shot well with it. I now realise that I was extremely fortunate as I should have considered the gun I shot best with as the first criterion.

Still alls well that ends well - still knocking them down (pheasants (14 for 17 carts ) last time out.

Even if you shoot clays exclusively, Try both and decide but make sure your choice is firstly on fit and secondly how many you hit and third how nice it is !

Still some guys on here reckon you can shoot anything well s/s, o/u's, - lines

I may be in a minority here but I don't think Brownings and Berettas are at all alike. When it comes to between the hands feel and especially the balance, it's chalk and cheese. These are things that become more important as you gain experience and develop your technique. Admittedly the 725 has a more Italian feel to it but it's lot more money than a Silver Pigeon 1.

My advice would be 1st, a sporter is the better all rounder because game guns are too light for large volume shooting and 2nd, take the advice of a coach for gunfit etc., because dealers have a bit of a tendency to tell you it fits just to make a sale.

The rest is up to your personal preferences, but bear in mind that Berettas outsell Brownings by about 3 to 1 - and that's not just because they have a more choices - and also that whatever you buy now, within a year you'll be looking for something else.

I may be in a minority here but I don't think Brownings and Berettas are at all alike. When it comes to between the hands feel and especially the balance, it's chalk and cheese. These are things that become more important as you gain experience and develop your technique. Admittedly the 725 has a more Italian feel to it but it's lot more money than a Silver Pigeon 1.

My advice would be 1st, a sporter is the better all rounder because game guns are too light for large volume shooting and 2nd, take the advice of a coach for gunfit etc., because dealers have a bit of a tendency to tell you it fits just to make a sale.

The rest is up to your personal preferences, but bear in mind that Berettas outsell Brownings by about 3 to 1 - and that's not just because they have a more choices - and also that whatever you buy now, within a year you'll be looking for something else.

Absolutely correct I shoot quite well with Beretta but can't hit much with a browning they just dont fit me or at least off the shelf they dont.and I have tried some high grades.a good dealer/gunsmith will give you advice I know mine does and has never just tried to sell me anything.i would suggest if you can spare a day to travel try Derek lee in Boston about the best I have found in the past 35 years of shooting.