Crow trouble - Plenty about

BRNDL

Hello all,

So, one of my permissions has a fair few crows about at the minute. It is a sheep farm and the crows have been doing some eye pecking to a few of the troubled ewes and the farmer is keen for them to be shot.

I have been a few times now averaging around 5 kills per session. If I was a good shot it would be 10 :sad1:

I usually just throw my full bodies out, sometimes all 12 and others 4 or 5 in no particular order. Very few actually decoy in, they just hover slightly out of range for a while then move on. I have been advised to add some movement into my pattern possibly a flapper. I am using my primos that I am pretty competent with.

Is there much field craft to crow shooting in terms of attracting them in, as I do think the hide is acceptable ( possible room for improvement, I am using one stealth net.)

Have you any thoughts, tricks that you can share? I have some pigeon decoys too, would you suggest adding these to the pattern? I was also considering buying some bangers to put in the fields they usually move to in order to keep them up and flying?

Thanks in advance - P.S if you are an experienced crow shooter that can show me a thing or two I would love to invite you the permission to deliver a lesson or 2!

ATB BRNDL :good:

Edited by BRNDL

Sounds like they are wising up, try and not shoot and give the game away till you are sure of a kill. If that means open chokes at an easy 25 yards so be it. If you have a rifle put out some dead rabbits or roadkill ( a dead ewe is a bonus so get onto it before it needs moving) and get well hidden a good 150 yards plus away before dawn breaks. Whatever you teach them now the survivors seem to remember for years and seem capable of handing that knowledge down.

Was out myself this morning myself but my crows have survived many an encounter so are extra hard to get to terms with now so I have to keep changing tactics

Hi BRNDL

I normally put out about 10 full bodied crow decs out and 10 ft away from them 2 or 3 pigeon decs and put a couple of crow decs in the trees or bushes just down from your hide, these birds have a far better eyesight than pigeons and much more cautious so your hide must be good and you must keep still. I have tried a magnet and flapper but these just seem to scare them off. This normally works for me. ATB

Hi Just chuck them out any old shape facing any direction. :yes: I usually use 6 to 10 full same in shells but if there are not a lot of crows on the permission that i'm shooting will reduce number of decoys. I very rarely use a caller Monday not used shot hundred + today no caller 30 + all carrion but 1 jackdaw today. Post up on here bud take a look you will see my set up.

Decoys out about 10 to 15 yards from hide hide must have good back ground :yes: i'm not bothered about front look. Don't move in hide keep your head down at all time .

Only shoot crows in your shooting range if you miss you won't get the bloody thing again for ages. Monday carts used 122 over 100 + shot had to second barrel a few runners missed 2 but i don't take wild shots i need them dead. Today 39 carts missed 1 don't get payed for missed birds :sad1: Let them come in close before you move a muscle then drop them. :good: atb Terry

GOOD LUCK :yes:

Thanks eccles.

Good info. There are around 100/150 about the place so were not plagued with them. Do you always look through the net, i.e have the hide net above your eyeline or only duck once you spot one from a distance.

Also i am using 32g 6.5s, are they good enough for the job as I seem to be winging one or two.

Top net your hide and stay still until you mount the gun and take the shot :yes: if there interested and willing to commit to decoys they will :yes: however its generally movement in the hide they spot and veer away :yes: stay still and keep the range sensible and you should have some good sport :good:

Once you have some shot birds get them on chin sticks and remove the plastic decoys/ Fuds etc :good: I always find the more experienced birds (shot at previously) will commit better,and get a flapper out if you have one :good: BB

Thanks eccles.

Good info. There are around 100/150 about the place so were not plagued with them. Do you always look through the net, i.e have the hide net above your eyeline or only duck once you spot one from a distance.

Also i am using 32g 6.5s, are they good enough for the job as I seem to be winging one or two.

Hi i use a stealth net usually outside with a old green x brown plastic bit of 1 iv'e had donkey's years :lol: inside or out if i need a bit more green as cover if you know what i mean.I have the stealth 1 as high as i can so i can see incoming crows with the other a bit lower. I shoot nearly all my crows sat on my drum which i made with swivels seat its higher than the one's you buy they are to low for my bad back. :yes: Only use no6 carts for carrion and rooks 7.5 on jackdaws if i'm only after them. I try not to move out of my hide if possible will do if a few dead drop to far out and distract incoming crows. Never used a flapper or anything else only floaters if there is a wind which do work very well. hope this might help you atvb Terry

Thanks chaps, great info there. I like to idea of bringing everything in and sticking one on its back out in the field, I will bare this in mind. I don't have a flapper bluebarrels but I could invest in a bouncer and try that.

I have just chopped up some old army leaf cammo netting to drape over the stealth to break the line up. I am having another go in the morning before work!

If nothing else I am certainly a trier!

Hi BRNDL I shoot a few crows at a farm near to me but cant use the shot gun because of the cattle .I tend to go just before the farmer goes to lunch and set up my hide I place about 10 homemade decoys out and like to put 1or2 up high as they seem to like 1or2 on guard or look out, if I have a dead rabbit I would consider putting that out .Then its a waiting game after putting on my gear hat,vail, gloves . The crows come into the farm to mostly feed on the cattle feed and will peck holes in the black sileage bags but tend to land first on post or out buildings that's were I hit them .I always like to pick up the ones I have killed and move them when I can.It can be a bit frustrating not using my shotgun on them but its almost a silent method and feel the crows return sooner . Good luck all the best Wadingin

I notice you are from Horwich! I am only down the road in Heath Charnock!

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Yes I always retrieve downed birds as they tend to shy away from the pattern when left out. I have never really bothered shooting them in moderate silence, but I can certainly see the advantages to that!

Thanks again,

BRNDL