Thats one way to beat the system.

JDog

One of the larger farming companies in the area farms 2,000 acres belonging to a friend of mine which I can shoot over, and even more thousands of acres which I cannot shoot over. The reason for the latter is that here is a long standing relationship with 'a man from the village' who shoots sometimes. I am forced to accept the status quo. A lot of the forbidden ground is peas.

This afternoon I took out a friend and his eight year old son who has shown some interest in shooting and has accompanied his father on driven shoots. Naturally the boy feels that his father is the best shot around.

The only place I could find any was on a flight line into the afforementioned peas over ground that I can shoot and it would have been rude not to have given it a go. I set up my friend in a hide and watched from a distance as he made a real mess of the incoming pigeons. How frustrating was that. We met up for a pow wow after he had fired 25 shots for three birds and the first thing the boy said was...'my Daddy is not shooting very well'. How right he was.

We stayed for two hours and I shot the 'escape' position without a hide and we ended up with 34 pigeons picked. The boy now has a new hero.

Edited by JDog

I have sometimes watched pigeon streaming into people who barely seem to touch a feather , it is frustrating seeing a good situation going out the window , but as long as they are enjoying It I do not suppose it matters.

Please do not take tightchokes advice , the lad in question would be ridiculed at school and you would soon lose your new hero status !