Decoy Numbers

Big Bear

Guest stevo

Like I have said before , do what works for you , just because joe blogs in the next county uses so and so method ,and swears by it , don't mean its going to work for you . there are soooo many factors that can change the way the birds act where you are , the knack is RECON , WATCH YOUR BIRDS , but by all means draw on the experaince of other shooters and there methods . Everything you need to know is out there on your fields , just learn to read the situations ,

if you invited me to your shoot , I would be picking your brains , about everything I can regarding the birds in your area , lay of the land ? , flight lines ? , is it flat ? , is there wooded areas ?, you name it . what ever .. but I wouldn't turn up thinking Im gonna do it this way or that way because that's what works in Lincolnshire so it got to work here . its always different .

I was always taught 80% reconnaissance 20 % shooting .

as for shooting Jan and Feb. with big flocks ...... Jan and Feb. for me are NOT about hunting so much , its just crop protection , as a rule ( for me ) I find shooting when the birds a Flocked up is a waste of time ( there are exceptions to the rule though ) one shot or two shots they all tend to move to the next field .

so in the winter months I don't like to just sit up all day in one spot , I tend to use HIT AND RUN tactics . I would have watched 2-3 different fields and would spend the day/morning/ afternoon flitting between them spending about an hr or so in each or until I feel its dried up , ( so travel light !! , another reason why I only take a magnet and two dead birds ) and with rope bangers or flags on others fields in attempt to force them into areas that I want , and with luck pick off a half decent bag ( for winter months about 20-40 ) if all else fails I have at least managed to keep the birds moving and OFF the crops , which at the end of the day I see as the main reason im there . and like I have also said , shooting in the spring and summer months getting those big bags , is the famers way of repaying you for the months you have sat out in the fields in winter freezing your butt off and shooting naff all , its about give and take .

in nearly 30 yrs I've not had two days the same , I rekon its the reason I keep doing it ;-)

remember just do what works , keep it simple , its not witchcraft if the birds want to be there they will be , if there busy somewhere else nothing will bring them to you .

but most of all ..... enjoy it !

hope this sort of makes sense , im not the best at explaining what I do by writing it down , , you want to be quizzing the gurus like Motty , pigeon controller , Jdog and all the others ( you know who you are ) they always do a darn good write up and explanation , im just a dumb*** bricklayer , im more visual than literal :-)

stevo

The birds have gone long before you get to within 300yds let alone setting up. No need to do any clapping, there away. I find that they disappear then a few venture back and a couple maybe shot ( there is always a lot of debate if these are scout birds, the jury is out on this one as far as I'm concerned) They will then start dropping into a completely different field or the other end of the field but not to the decoys. This goes on and off all day unless other guns are placed around the area as I said to keep them on the move. Quite a few pigeon shooters have said to me that it's a waste of time over fresh rape. However as a crop protection club we have to respond when the farmers ask us for help. But we never get bags like we do over sown crops or harvested stubble.

Please tell me you don't believe there are scout birds. If you do, please tell me how the arrangement works. Do the scouts get paid? Do they take it in turns? Do the senior birds send out the apprentices?

Like I have said before , do what works for you , just because joe blogs in the next county uses so and so method ,and swears by it , don't mean its going to work for you . there are soooo many factors that can change the way the birds act where you are , the knack is RECON , WATCH YOUR BIRDS , but by all means draw on the experaince of other shooters and there methods . Everything you need to know is out there on your fields , just learn to read the situations ,

if you invited me to your shoot , I would be picking your brains , about everything I can regarding the birds in your area , lay of the land ? , flight lines ? , is it flat ? , is there wooded areas ?, you name it . what ever .. but I wouldn't turn up thinking Im gonna do it this way or that way because that's what works in Lincolnshire so it got to work here . its always different .

I was always taught 80% reconnaissance 20 % shooting .

as for shooting Jan and Feb. with big flocks ...... Jan and Feb. for me are NOT about hunting so much , its just crop protection , as a rule ( for me ) I find shooting when the birds a Flocked up is a waste of time ( there are exceptions to the rule though ) one shot or two shots they all tend to move to the next field .

so in the winter months I don't like to just sit up all day in one spot , I tend to use HIT AND RUN tactics . I would have watched 2-3 different fields and would spend the day/morning/ afternoon flitting between them spending about an hr or so in each or until I feel its dried up , ( so travel light !! , another reason why I only take a magnet and two dead birds ) and with rope bangers or flags on others fields in attempt to force them into areas that I want , and with luck pick off a half decent bag ( for winter months about 20-40 ) if all else fails I have at least managed to keep the birds moving and OFF the crops , which at the end of the day I see as the main reason im there . and like I have also said , shooting in the spring and summer months getting those big bags , is the famers way of repaying you for the months you have sat out in the fields in winter freezing your butt off and shooting naff all , its about give and take .

in nearly 30 yrs I've not had two days the same , I rekon its the reason I keep doing it ;-)

remember just do what works , keep it simple , its not witchcraft if the birds want to be there they will be , if there busy somewhere else nothing will bring them to you .

but most of all ..... enjoy it !

hope this sort of makes sense , im not the best at explaining what I do by writing it down , , you want to be quizzing the gurus like Motty , pigeon controller , Jdog and all the others ( you know who you are ) they always do a darn good write up and explanation , im just a dumb*** bricklayer , im more visual than literal :-)

stevo

Thanks for that Stevo. As a novice I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time or cartridges. I take it a flight line is the direction they come and go from a field.

Is there a certain time of day that's best for recon.

Again guys the info coming my way is greatly appreciated. Glad I joined the forum

Thanks for that Stevo. As a novice I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time or cartridges. I take it a flight line is the direction they come and go from a field.

Again guys the info coming my way is greatly appreciated. Glad I joined the forum

It's best to check possible shooting locations at different times of the day, but I would expect to see birds feeding (generally) from around 1pm onwards at this time of year.

I don't think that it is a good idea to link me in with the experts on this forum. I know nothing.

A friend who I shoot with went pigeon shooting when he was eighteen years old on drilled peas and shot 203 to his own gun. He has never shot anything like that again even though he has gained a lot of experience. It has spoiled him to some extent.

I shot pigeons for forty years without getting anywhere near a score of 200 but last year I shot six days of over 200 in a month. With me it is just a matter of luck. If the pigeons really want to feed in a particular field to the exclusion of all others then a large bag can be made. Just watch Motty's recent video. Those pigeons really wanted to be in that drilled barley field. Go out often enough, pick up tips here and there and eventually a red letter day will be forthcoming.

Edited by JDog

I think it really depends on the time of year and what you are shooting over. Early on when fresh rape is sprouting and there are flocks in the area numbering in their hundreds 12 decoys are a complete waste of time. You need at least 3 times that with plenty of movers. Movement is essential. Later on when the large flocks have dispersed and you are shooting over just sown crops 12 decoys is ample. Also later on during harvest 12 is fine.

never ever had 36 decoys out to start with , I use 16 a mix of fuds, prodecoys, and standard half shells then peg dead birds out as and when I,m shooting them until I have a full pattern of dead birds

I don't think that it is a good idea to link me in with the experts on this forum. I know nothing.

A friend who I shoot with went pigeon shooting when he was eighteen years old on drilled peas and shot 203 to his own gun. He has never shot anything like that again even though he has gained a lot of experience. It has spoiled him to some extent.

I shot pigeons for forty years without getting anywhere near a score of 200 but last year I shot six days of over 200 in a month. With me it is just a matter of luck. If the pigeons really want to feed in a particular field to the exclusion of all others then a large bag can be made. Just watch Motty's recent video. Those pigeons really wanted to be in that drilled barley field. Go out often enough, pick up tips here and there and eventually a red letter day will be forthcoming.

I object to being called an Expert, as the definition of this is a " Drip Under Pressure" ??????????????

I've said it in many previous posts, remember what works, and also KISS ( Keep it simple stupid)

Mo

Please tell me you don't believe there are scout birds. If you do, please tell me how the arrangement works. Do the scouts get paid? Do they take it in turns? Do the senior birds send out the apprentices?

Hi Motty, no I don't believe there are scout birds, that's why I said the Jury is out as far as I'm concerned.

Hi Stevo, it is good to listen to someone that has tried Crop Protection when the birds are really damaging the crop as in Jan and Feb and appreciates how hard the birds are to decoy at that time. I'm sure a lot of guys are fine weather shooters and don't sit in cold field freezing their butt of and shooting naff all. Some farmers have asked us to help them in the winter and have said "my usual guys can't be bothered unless it's sunny and want to shoot over the stubble. No bloody good to me then." As you say Stevo that should be the reward.

I object to being called an Expert, as the definition of this is a " Drip Under Pressure" ???? ???? ??????

I've said it in many previous posts, remember what works, and also KISS ( Keep it simple stupid)

Well if you are not an expert, and I'm definitely not, that just leaves Motty then.

i just love all this banter.....i would pontificate more often.....but ive shot naff all this year....so i will be talking out of my rear end (no change there)

now the game gun is gone ive been up the range with the old A303, learni8ng to use it.....getting on welll with it now....its a big "lump" to carry about but great for the hide.. :)

Cheers JDog