SEALS ??

marsh man

The boat that was burnt out belonged to a chap called Tommy Lineham , he died recently I believe .

I was good friend with his son until his death in a car crash , the third and final child of Tommys to die young

The lineham family also had fishing boats out of Fosdyke. In fact the cafe in the lay by was once the home of one of them. He had a catering business he run from there after his fishing days on the wash was cut short when he lost an arm in a capstan winch whilst out fishing. They were still shooting seals in 1974

Sounds like that family had more than there share of bad luck.

As a matter of interest , what would have the skins been used for , and would the body have any commercial use ?

I have no idea what the seals were used for .

Tommy lost a daughter and son before they were nine years old , they suffered some rare brain condition IIRC , their only surviving son and my friend died in a car crash about 23 years ago aged 27 , so yes its fair to say they have been a family touched by tragedy .

Having had grey seals follow me on dives and had them bite on my fins, you can feel the power and strength they have! I was never happy with them in close proximity when in the water.

Without doubt they are capable of killing the biggest off dogs used in wildfowling. I would however have thought that the chances are slim.

Sooner or later without natural control or predators we will have to raise the gun to the seal again. The issue then will be akin to the Badger issue politically. Salmon and Seatrout stocks are also important environmentally and economically as are our commercial fishing fleet etc.

Seal skin, blubber and meat has a market- its just most of it is not a home market, presently!

I remember watching a documentary on the bbc called The Linehams of Fossdyke they filmed them going out on the wash shooting seals they then skinned and dried the pelts which where sent to germany but I think the film crew must have tipped off the anties because the pelts had ink thrown on them whilest they where in the airport ! <_<

when I worked on sutton bridge power station there was a chap who lived at fossdyke and knew the linehams and he said that the anties kicked off because they threw the carcasses in the river so they made a big mincher that chomped up the whole bloody lot bones an all..

I wonder if that film is still archived ?

I remember watching a documentary on the bbc called The Linehams of Fossdyke they filmed them going out on the wash shooting seals they then skinned and dried the pelts which where sent to germany but I think the film crew must have tipped off the anties because the pelts had ink thrown on them whilest they where in the airport ! <_<

when I worked on sutton bridge power station there was a chap who lived at fossdyke and knew the linehams and he said that the anties kicked off because they threw the carcasses in the river so they made a big mincher that chomped up the whole bloody lot bones an all..

I wonder if that film is still archived ?

Hi derbyduck......If the film was made by Anglia Television at the time it might be on East Anglian Film Archive , if you log on to E A F A you might find it , if you ever do, could you let me know as I would love to watch it myself ........a t b .

1 dog killed in how many years and we need to cull them. Lets kill everything that interfers with our hobbies, how dare seals eat fish, jesus anyone would think they do it to stay alive. Ha who's daft enough to believe that tosh.

Bet you won't trust steel to do the job eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 dog killed in how many years and we need to cull them. Lets kill everything that interfers with our hobbies, how dare seals eat fish, jesus anyone would think they do it to stay alive. Ha who's daft enough to believe that tosh.

Bet you won't trust steel to do the job eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get some research done, Atlantic Salmon are under real international threat meanwhile Seals are growing in numbers greatly. Its like Badgers just over 30 years ago I rarely saw one and hedgehogs and lapwings were common and in great numbers here, now I see more Badgers and less hedgehogs, lapwings and TB is again prevalent in cattle. Go see Seals following Salmon up rivers and feeding on th

As good as it is to see seals, until we have White Shark and Killer Whales we must consider the balance of what is an apex predator.

Gosh Kent not like you to have an opinion. Well you get some facts, humans are responsible for the loss in Atlantic salmon numbers not seals. If seal numbers are increasing then clearly they are not reliant on salmon. Stop netting salmon and improve their habitat and it will be problem solved. But hey I guess its easier to blame seals and kill them because that will solve the atlantic. salmon problem lol.

As for badgers well kill them all to save the hedgehog, Then kill all the hedgehogs to save the nesting birds. Kill the nesting birds to save the worms, then at least you'll have some bait to fish for the salmon.

Gosh Kent not like you to have an opinion. Well you get some facts, humans are responsible for the loss in Atlantic salmon numbers not seals. If seal numbers are increasing then clearly they are not reliant on salmon. Stop netting salmon and improve their habitat and it will be problem solved. But hey I guess its easier to blame seals and kill them because that will solve the atlantic. salmon problem lol.

As for badgers well kill them all to save the hedgehog, Then kill all the hedgehogs to save the nesting birds. Kill the nesting birds to save the worms, then at least you'll have some bait to fish for the salmon.

I think you will find Natural or maybe man made global warming and the subsequent movement of the Gulf stream is a big player in salmon. What must be also considered is the depletion of other inshore fish Bass etc by commercial and semi commercial fishing a seal full of Bass, Pollack, wrasse etc is not going to be so keen to swim ten miles up into fresh water. Seals predating on those other fish will have no great issue on say Bass or Cod as a population because they don't swim right up rivers to spawn (becoming effectively duck in a barrel) Seals are already an issue with netsmen seeking to earn a living, at low water when Salmon cannot pass natural barriers Seals can decimate the annual run. Yes I have seen them follow the run way past the salt line and station themselves below a weir etc. Check out the international conservation status of Salmon and Seatrout and the nets that have been bought out and the work of various River trusts in conservation exercises.

Balance in all things, not mindless killing but no closed minds either. The Badger Culls have started if political will was really there it might be in full swing. Norway are now having to be very pro-active to control a large population of Seals, it will come here in time. Nothing should ever have complete protection forever more least of all an apex predator.

Fact is they are doing it to live, we just want more salmon so we can catch more. Even with the huge amounts of money spent on them salmon are still in decline, you state that its now global warming not seals that have reduced salmon numbers, well if that's the case they are doomed so no need to kill the seals, if you really think killing a few seals is going to make a diufference to salmon stocks then you keep telling yourself that the case. Many many more salmon are netted then are taken by seals.

The Norwegians have a very strong fishing industry their government are probably just bowing to pressure, kill a few seals keeps the fisherman happy, less hassle for the government, but in all reality probably very little difference in salmon numbers.

As for sea trout come to Anglesey, certainly no shortage of sea trout round here.

I have no problems with controlling predators but killing seals will not bring back salmon numbers.

Fact is they are doing it to live, we just want more salmon so we can catch more. Even with the huge amounts of money spent on them salmon are still in decline, you state that its now global warming not seals that have reduced salmon numbers, well if that's the case they are doomed so no need to kill the seals, if you really think killing a few seals is going to make a diufference to salmon stocks then you keep telling yourself that the case. Many many more salmon are netted then are taken by seals.

The Norwegians have a very strong fishing industry their government are probably just bowing to pressure, kill a few seals keeps the fisherman happy, less hassle for the government, but in all reality probably very little difference in salmon numbers.

As for sea trout come to Anglesey, certainly no shortage of sea trout round here.

I have no problems with controlling predators but killing seals will not bring back salmon numbers.

And very well said spot on there my man.

Yes and we want more seals so we can see them and attract more tourism, what I am saying is balance in all things, what when you have so many that sea angling suffers or Seatrout stocks diminish in North wales Anglesey aint exactly renown for seatout fishing or Salmon in rivers is it now? . It will make a difference to Salmon stocks in certain parts at certain times to cull. Dooming the Salmon to no measures being taken is plain crazy when this happens whatever it is Orang-utans in depleted rainforest etc. what do we do "forget them there done for anyhow" Red Squirrels? Leave they greys alone perchance as many think they shouldn't be killed!

There are simply not the numbers of Seals around Anglesey yet to warrant culling but what do you suggest when there are? Believe me they will be busy making more seals over the next decade and the one after that and that etc. Take you back to Badgers now never saw more than an odd one 30 years ago now they are very common (, here foxes are rarer than the once seldom seen Badger! Why because killing a badger aint worth transgressing the law and the penalties of that action. This is thirty odd years of complete protection of a creature without natural control by a predator does and its the expense of cattle, ground nesting birds and hedgehogs.

Conservation is not preservation, never has been

Oh I'm hurt by your petty digs lol.I'm aware that your an expect on all things but I was not aware that you are an expert on seal and sea trout numbers around the coast of Anglesey although in reality I should not be surprised. Most seals live in the sea not rivers. Anglesey is surrounded by sea, and believe me(if its possible for you except someone elses opinion) we have plenty of seals and sea trout.

As I've already said when you can prove that seal numbers are the reason for deminshed stocks and not man then cull them, I have no issues with it.

Its clear your ego cannot allow you to not have the last say, I have voiced my opinion on the matter of SEALS and will leave it at that.

Oh I'm hurt by your petty digs lol.I'm aware that your an expect on all things but I was not aware that you are an expert on seal and sea trout numbers around the coast of Anglesey although in reality I should not be surprised. Most seals live in the sea not rivers. Anglesey is surrounded by sea, and believe me(if its possible for you except someone elses opinion) we have plenty of seals and sea trout.

As I've already said when you can prove that seal numbers are the reason for deminshed stocks and not man then cull them, I have no issues with it.

Its clear your ego cannot allow you to not have the last say, I have voiced my opinion on the matter of SEALS and will leave it at that.

Spent quite a time fishing around it in the Salt (your a bit short or Rivers mind) You do have Sewin near the shore but that's because your on the Ireland, west Wales Pathway- you are not a breeding ground - my point! The Same reason you get bigger bass Sept time (Irish fish heading down). Yes Seals do live in the sea and are perfectly adapted for hunting there not in among small pools of freshwater for stranded Salmon.

Ego? just standing up for what I personally believe in