my day out at retriever field trials

A couple of weeks ago I posted a question regarding retriever gun dog trials and what to expect as a gun and I am grateful for the replies. I was asked to give a little write up on how the day went so here goes.

Hope its not to long winded and I don’t bore you all

The trials took place at Glenkirk estate, about 5 miles east of Tomatin on a very fine autumn day. The morning, fresh at 4`c, started with the meet and greet of handlers, judges, guns, game carriers and spaniel handlers & stewards etc with the as expected the safety talk and a brief chat from the head keeper. As guns we were told that all game in season could be shot so it was going to be a good day.

It was a walked up shoot with 12 dogs/handlers taking part, 6 guns, along with 4 spaniels and handlers to flush up the game, 4 judges, 4 game carriers/spotters, 2 club stewards the head keeper and a few spectators. So when the keeper told us to line out as you can imagine it was quite a lengthy line. Although I have been on a walked up shoot before it has only been with a couple of other guns, so it felt a little daunting with this large amount of people but I soon settled down.

We hadn’t long started walking through some wooded and rough grazing area when a pheasant was flushed up and well taken out but landed in a bit of an awkward place for the retrieve. The line was halted and the first dog was sent out but although was hunting and no doubt picked up a sent it was unable to retrieve the bird so a second dog was sent and he picked the bird. It wasn’t long after the line moved on again when a hare was flushed and taken out and this was well retrieved. The line continued for about a ½ mile or so with several more pheasants taken down and swiftly retrieved before we approached a deer fence and had to change our positions a little. The whole line moved around 300 yards to the right. It was at this point that I found myself being over dressed for the weather as I had started to `leak` so off came the mid layer jumper.

This move took us up onto some open moor land and some of the first partridges were shot. As guns, we were told to be on the lookout for grouse but when they did appear they were far ahead of us and going like the clappers. When on the open moor land the whole line stretched out 300+ yards. The line split up a little when we crossed a river with steep banks. One of the spaniels stayed down in the gully to flush out birds and a good number of both pheasant and partridge were flushed up. This was giving the guns some good sport and the dogs plenty to do. Although stopping and starting a fair bit to allow the dogs time to retrieve, the morning past very quickly and it was not long before we came to the estate boundary. It was time to have a bit of a lunch break and to rearrange the line for the return journey. This took my side of the line us further up the hill and into some beautiful juniper bushes which were loaded with berries and birds.

I was not fully aware as to how the judges were scoring the dogs, so I had a chat with one of them. I was surprised to find out that the first dog, who failed to retrieve was eliminated then and any other dog who did not make a retrieve would also be eliminated. As the birds were shot and of course all fall differently, the judges decided which dogs should go for the retrieve. Some of these were close short retrieves some long distance blind retrieves. The judge told me there is no exact way in which scoring takes place but what all 4 judges were looking for was a combination of the dogs marking the fall (when seen) direct out and back retrieves, the dog scenting and hunting on blind retrieves and as little handling as possible. Throughout the course of the day the judges were continually referring with each other as to which of the dogs were not making the standard and were eliminated and it was not long into the homeward leg that only 4 dogs remained.

At this point we had a series of downed but failed to be retrieve birds. A couple of the guns, spotters and even the judges thought that the birds were down dead. The remaining 4 dogs failed to find the birds and the judges went out to look for them. I was unaware that if the judges found the dead birds in the area where the dogs were scenting / hunting for them, then all 4 of them would have been eliminated at that point and there would be no winner of the trial. Fortunately for the dogs and the handlers the judges did not find the downed birds, (kavaler suited sprinting partridges), so we continued on.

I was amazed to watch 2 dogs carry out 175+ yard blind retrieves of downed duck and credit was given to the handlers and late in the day a super blind retrieve of a hare when the dog had to cross a deep gully and a burn to pick it up. There was still a good distance to go before we would be back at the start but one of the judges came down the gun line and told us that they had a decided on a winner but to try and keep the last couple of retrieves simple, easier said than done. It was not long before the judges called an end to the trial but we continued to walk a line and shoot back to the start.

For me it was a great day although I would personally liked to have shot more. How can you miss a hare at 20 yards I ask? I did and I know I totally missed judged the speed of it. The dogs and handlers gave me a great day’s enjoyment watching how it should be done and hopefully I will have learnt a little to try and get my own dogs retrieving a bit better.

The keeper knew his ground well and where to find the game which made it a little easier and the weather could not have been better. Hopefully I will be invited to be a gun again and at least I now know what to expect.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and Mods please feel free to relocate this if I have posted it in the wrong section.

BBL

Oh! the bag for the day was 13 partridge, 16 pheasant, 9 white hare and 2 mallard. (and a good few misses)

I recently went on a Retriever Trial shoot near Bury St Edmunds.

What a fantastic day out, I cannot wait to go again.

The shooting was good, but watching the dogs and their handlers work was a joy to see.

These trials take place all over the country, so there should be opportunities for a good many of us if we decide to look for the Trials.