Gold oval

margun

The gold oval in my Silver Pigeon 3 is looking like its delaminated- only a bit at the edge so most of the 'top layer' is gone if you know what I mean. Would like to replace it and get my initials put in- anyone know (a) what I should be paying and (b)a good gunsmith in East Kent? The guy who I normally go to has hung up his tools.

Can I suggest that what has made the normally silver coloured oval appear gold, could well have been dried and hardened stock oil. This could have been removed by application of meths on a clean rag and some gentle rubbing. The problem is when applying stock oil, it is almost impossible to miss the oval. It is easier to apply stock oil until desired finish is obtained and THEN clean the oval.

I don't know if I have misunderstood the last post but have you ever tried removing an oval and replacing it? Also if you are not in attendance when it is being engraved then the engraver is holding a shot gun or parts thereof illegally . Only way would be to take the stock only .

This is why I said arrange for him to do it while you wait ergo you are there with it and your licence, this negates removing the oval in the first place, hence you do not have to remove it