16 replies to this topic

#1 Gully

Gully
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Joined 12-November 06

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:14 PM

I fitted a Theoben Gas Ram on my BSA Lightning XL today. Bit of a nightmare - because of the obviously and understandably sensitive issues of taking air rifles apart there isn't much about it on any of these forums but as a competent engineer I didn't see why I couldn't do it myself.

Anyway, in my research as to whether this was a sensible £60 to spend on my air rifle rather than upgrading to a PCP (yes I accept they are better rifles but the whole charging thing leaves me cold) I found a lot of talk about noise, recoil etc so I thought I'd make it a bit scientific.

Noise:
pinched the Db meter from work and under controlled conditions:
2m from muzzle at 90 degrees shooting out of my kitchen door.
BSA Lightning XL Springer (factory): 84dB
BSA Lightning XL with Theoben Gas Ram - 81dB

I'lll post some groupings when its light.

#2 naddan28

naddan28

Grumpy Student

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1510 posts
  • Joined 30-November 06

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:38 PM

I fitted a Theoben Gas Ram on my BSA Lightning XL today. Bit of a nightmare - because of the obviously and understandably sensitive issues of taking air rifles apart there isn't much about it on any of these forums but as a competent engineer I didn't see why I couldn't do it myself.

Anyway, in my research as to whether this was a sensible £60 to spend on my air rifle rather than upgrading to a PCP (yes I accept they are better rifles but the whole charging thing leaves me cold) I found a lot of talk about noise, recoil etc so I thought I'd make it a bit scientific.

Noise:
pinched the Db meter from work and under controlled conditions:
2m from muzzle at 90 degrees shooting out of my kitchen door.
BSA Lightning XL Springer (factory): 84dB
BSA Lightning XL with Theoben Gas Ram - 81dB

I'lll post some groupings when its light.

Brilliant Gully, I am eagerly awaiting these posts as I am thinking of doing the same to my lightning as opposed to upgrading to a PCP.

#3 arnold

arnold
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Joined 16-December 06

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:04 PM

Yes good one there, i will be theoben my hw80 soon as you know it cost around 120 for the strut for my rifle ive been using the hw80 more lately then my pcp

#4 njc110381

njc110381
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9232 posts
  • Joined 12-September 06

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:14 PM

I fitted one to my BSA Supersport. Amazing transformation, well worth the money :oops:

#5 naddan28

naddan28

Grumpy Student

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1510 posts
  • Joined 30-November 06

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:21 PM

Thanks guys, basically it needed respringing and has been a bit noisy etc. So i thought instead of paying £60-70 for a respring I might as well see whether I can get the gunsmith to fit a ram instead, shouldn't cost much more and are meant to be much better than springs.

#6 Gully

Gully
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Joined 12-November 06

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:30 PM

Cost me £62 inc vat and delivery. Took about an hour to fit but most of that time was working out how to get it apart and making a tool to allow me to compress the spring and the gas ram to remove it. I made the tool from an old piece of tube that used to be a rail in a wardrobe. Drilled a 12mm hole through it and cut a slot, worked a treat using a normal vice to do the compression. Not really tested the accuracy yet as it was a bit blowy today but it feels and sounds much better.

#7 Gonna Shoot a Wabbit

Gonna Shoot a Wabbit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1028 posts
  • Joined 18-March 07

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:35 AM

Hi Gully. look forward to your next post i also shoot a lightning and am considering the same upgrade. keep up the good work.

#8 12borejimbo

12borejimbo
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1673 posts
  • Joined 15-March 10

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:50 AM

me too, I have a bsa lightning and i thing the spring i knackered, so im going to get a gas ram fitted, i also want a thumb hole stock, any one know where i can get one from?

#9 bullet boy

bullet boy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15974 posts
  • Joined 20-May 08

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:45 AM

Well done.You'll find you can leave your rifle cocked much much longer with your Gas-Ram fitted, than a spring rifle, without doing any damage.

#10 bess

bess
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 07-July 09

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

me too, I have a bsa lightning and i thing the spring i knackered, so im going to get a gas ram fitted, i also want a thumb hole stock, any one know where i can get one from?

hi there
you can get a nice thumb hole from sheffield custom stocks just type it in to pc and it will come up

#11 chris64

chris64
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Joined 30-August 09

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:49 PM

Hi gully fitting the gasram does it reduce the recoil or is it the same!.

#12 Gully

Gully
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Joined 12-November 06

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

I sold the rifle this post was about two years ago. If I remember the gasram made it more snappy rather than twangy.

#13 farmboy99

farmboy99
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Joined 25-August 09

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

i have a friends lightening with gas ram fitted and it is a very nice gun im going to fit a gas ram to my supersport at some stage ive got the ram just need to get round to the work! would be good if i could test the rams power now before installing it will be a right pain if its shooting well under and needs pumping up! also as far as im aware you can leave a gas ram cocked for as long as you like and it does no damage

#14 jackmanuk

jackmanuk
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 14-December 09

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:46 AM

im looking to fir a gas ram to my supersport where can i get 1 from other than BAR ?

Thanks

#15 The Duncan

The Duncan
  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Joined 13-November 10

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

I fitted one to my BSA Supersport. Amazing transformation, well worth the money :oops:

Funny - I did the exact same thing to my BSA Supersport and was completely underwhelmed.
I wouldn't have bothered if I had known the difference was going to be that slight :blush:
Much better off with the spring guide/top hat and tune treatment :yp:

Edited by The Duncan, 29 December 2010 - 09:11 PM.

#16 HoTsHoT-10

HoTsHoT-10
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Joined 12-October 10

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

im looking to fir a gas ram to my supersport where can i get 1 from other than BAR ?

Thanks

Try the Theoben site :good:

#17 Alanl

Alanl
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 26-December 10

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:22 PM

Hmm, most seem to say the gas-ram has improved the XL, I had the opposite. It absolutely ruined it. It made it kick like a mule when fired. Chrono'd was doing very slightly over 12ft/lbs, so disassembled again, and took out any washers/weights to get it legal, ended up at around 11 ft/lbs, but still awful to fire.

In the end I bought a spring kit from Venom, fitted that, reduced the spring length slightly, so it was doing 10 ft/lbs, and it was a lovely gun to fire. No twang, and not too much recoil. I dont think the Lightning XL is heavy enough to cope with the recoil at 12 ft/lbs, and a gas ram makes it far harsher than a spring.

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users