decoy shy

yickdaz

went out yesterday on rape stubble,in a good pigeon area, constant flightlines around there but difficult to get in the right spot due to public footpaths down 2 fields,, been keeping a close eye on these fields, waiting for them to be cut we shot birds on it in winter in the freezing cold never saw anyone out on them in the winter months, so yes you guessed it someone beat us to it when it was harvested, farmhand said someone shot it last sunday, it explained why the birds were wary as hell and shying away from the decoys and rotary all afternoon despite moving postions and trying different methods moved decoys 3 times rotary about 4 times, at one point I was going to turn the magnet off and try just the flapper but that decided to pack up on me that just about summed up the session, ground out a bag in the end in one of the most difficult and frustrating decoy sessions I have ever had

post-21887-0-82926300-1439543410_thumb.jpg

Yep, I have the same on my permissions, but they're poachers on y permissions. They had permission for one day, walked all through the standing crops, and got told not to come back by the farmer. Since then they just come and set up, the farmer has given up chasing them off, and the plod don't come if he phones them about it.

I call them "the three amigos" or more commonly known as the "corvid educators" :(

Any bird that enters a field with them in, promptly gets between 5 and 9 shots (all three have semi autos), whether it's in range or not (More often it's not). They rarely hit anything, but scare everything for miles around. Everytime they've been, the shooting is ******** for weeks after within a 2-3 mile radius of where they were :(

Edited by Redditch

Well done for sticking at it , we have loads of " Butterfly Shooters" who appear on the stubbles and hibernate in the cold winters???????

Every body wants to shoot the stubbles . The stubbles are reserved for the guns that help me out during the winter months . Go on boys fill your boots .

Harnser

Yep, I have the same on my permissions, but they're poachers on y permissions. They had permission for one day, walked all through the standing crops, and got told not to come back by the farmer. Since then they just come and set up, the farmer has given up chasing them off, and the plod don't come if he phones them about it.

I call them "the three amigos" or more commonly known as the "corvid educators" :(

Any bird that enters a field with them in, promptly gets between 5 and 9 shots (all three have semi autos), whether it's in range or not (More often it's not). They rarely hit anything, but scare everything for miles around. Everytime they've been, the shooting is ******** for weeks after within a 2-3 mile radius of where they were :(

Loads of similar peasants round my way. No wonder the birds soon get magnet and decoy shy, as Yickdaz found after only one shooter-day. They also drag the gun out as soon as they see either a combine or a drill in the fields, so birds never get a chance to build up and flight lines seldom develop. I wish I lived in quiet 'Ol Norfolk where there doesn't seem to be the same shooter-pressure.

I cant get on my syndicates land , for folk the farmer has given 'special permission" to shoot on, while its just been cut!

I never see them again , after the first frost. They have all the gear , you know 4x4 , twirlies, floaters, flappers , more cammo netting than

the Tank regiment. And leave use shell cases all over the place.. On one field I found my nose lead me to a pile of rotting pigeons, shot, and left

there to decompose. Roll on the end of Autumn.