690 sporting Black or the new 690 Sporting III

James1983

Now I am looking to treat myself to a new gun and a bit undicided on which one to get. Does anyone know if there is any real difference in them?

Tried looking around on the net but can't find much out on them other than the basic details.

The 690 black comes with optima extended chokes and the Grade III comes with flush. Other than that can't see much difference.

Now I have shot the 690 Black a few times and I do like it so wouldn't imagine the grade III will be very similar.

Does anyone own either of the above guns and able to give me their views.

Thanks

I don't quite get the thinking behind the 690 III sporting. It has flush chokes and AFAIK isn't available in 32", whereas the 692 has everything, including the balancer system, yet only costs about 15% more.

If you can live with the orange trim, the 690 Black seems a much more sensible buy.

Having re-read your initial post am I to presume you don't own a 690 of either variety?

Where have you shot the ones you have tried?

What are you planning on using the gun for?

What barrel length are you used to?

Do you understand and use your multi-chokes?

Personally I would not touch the 692's with a barge pole, to me they are unreliable expensive piles of rubbish. I have had two and both broke and friends have had them and they broke as well. If you go for one make sure the serial number is well above the 5000 ser number range. For me this would also apply to any of the newer Beretta's.

I would look at the older Beretta's like the 682 or DT 10, though the DT 10 may feel a bit heavy for some.

My first one made a twanging sound while out shooting one day and after that it would not lock. It was then sent back to GMK for repair, who decided to replace it with a another new 692, as they found other faults with it. GMK had set up the replacement 692 to make sure it was ok. :) Took the replacement 692 out and then the locking lever jammed, thankfully it jammed with no live cartridges in it, a common problem with the 692's. I looked up my email to GMK and between the two 692's they had not even fired 500 cartridges.

Friends have had 692's on one the trigger screws kept coming loose, one had the stock mounting bolt sheer off when he pulled the trigger, what you might call a brown trouser moment as the gun came apart.

I had a 690 black adjustable and hated it sold it in a week seemed really cheap and nasty plus was hard finding a shop who wanted it

Ive now got a 1985 682 and they are worlds apart

Hope you did not loose to much on the 690, though you picked up a quality Beretta where they were built to last and made to a high standard and quality.

A while back I was shouted at by several 'Beretta Lovers' on here for criticising the standard of QA from both the factory and GMK. Nothing that I've seen or heard since has given me any reason to change my opinion that Beretta's changeover to making everything in-house rather than outsourcing has brought about a fall off in quality.

The 692s seem alright now as long as you change the 'O' rings every 10K or so, don't mind grade 1 wood on a gun costing almost £3k and the 7lb trigger pulls, but the damage is done. I expect they'll carry on selling a few but the next 682 it certainly isn't.

Typically for Beretta the early production 692s had superb wood, almost exhibition grade in some cases, but looking at the new ones for sale on GT and the odd few that I see around, things are very different now.

Same thing happened with the DT11 so it's no accident.

The original 682s were competition guns, they are superb pieces of engineering and are far better value than any new Beretta.

I had four at one stage and wish I had kept at least a single example.

They are available but can take a bit of finding.

Good luck

I bought a 682 Supersport which is 26 years old. Lovely wood and really enjoying shooting clays with it.

£400 well spent!

There are a few original 682 silver action sporters for sale. Only seen them with 28" barrels for sale.

Also a 682 gold.

I have shot a fair few Berettas and much prefer the 682 Gold E 32" barrel that the 692 with 32" barrels. The 692 feels as chunky as the DT10 but without the same balance and handling.

Try and shoot as many as you can before you buy.

If I was looking to buy now I'd be looking more at the Ceasar Guerini Accent than the Betettas.

Edited by figgy

Yes, 682, 682 Gold and 682 Gold E are all built to a far superior standard then current Beretta's find a couple and get out and shoot them if possible. :good:

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE