Wildfowling Clubs in England?

wildfowler.250

Are there many good clubs in England that folk on here would recommend joining? Planning ahead for next year and would rather join a club than buy a permit for a couple of days. Even if I only get out for part of a week, once a season it's always worth meeting new people. Ive fancied shooting the Dee for years and it doesn't do permits. And I have a few friends dotted around Lancashire which is also a possibility. Are Lyhtam and district a good club?

Just wondering if there are any clubs that folk on here would suggest. Im based North of scotland but always keen to try somewhere new.

Thanks!

Edited by wildfowler.250

I think that you are in a difficult position really because reading between the lines a lot of clubs have clauses in their rules that say "dont spout off about this club ont tinternet".

Also no one will come on here and say come and join our club because we shoot x amount of duck/geese every time I step on the marsh and by the same token no one will say oh that club is rubbish.

English West coast clubs seem to be well subscribed and sometimes very difficult to gain membership, Some East coast clubs are well subscribed and others have vacancies I think its a case of which clubs have vacancies and how far you are prepared to travel. :hmm:

Thats just my take on your quest, probably not a lot of help but its a starter, someone is bound to disagree. :good:

Good luck.

Regards

H

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it! Not too worried about bag numbers or anything along that lines. Just keen to find out if there were any clubs that are particularly ' worthwhile'. I.e. A nice place to visit or a nice club to join if that makes sense. Some clubs locally do a lot with clay shoots and so on throughout the year and is a bit more proactive, whilst another essentially has one agm a year just to make sure everyone is signing from the same hymne sheet,(if that makes any sense).

Thanks again!

Hal,

The other problem you may have is that many clubs down south have probationer rules, ie new members have to do say 2 accompanied flights before being allowed out by themselves, that would make your weekly visit a bit hard!

If you want to go really south then obviously Kent Wildfowlers have plenty of land but I don't know what there rules are.

You could try a trip west to the Hebs? I think their foreshore falls under the same rules as mainland scotland.

Cheers

Mark

I'm in dee, the marsh is a good marsh but there was a 2 year wait for a place and the you have to be taken out 10 times before you can go alone. I'm in season 2and so far have managed 6 visits.

I'm assured it's worth it once you get through the red tape but don't expect to just sign a form and go when it suits.

Wildfowler.250 if you are prepared to travel away from NW England ( many clubs seem to have a long waiting list ) there is a huge choice , many at a reasonable price and some offer inland as well as coastal fowling plus pigeon shooting and some game shooting. However I suspect you will have to forge friendships within the clubs to get the best of the shooting available. One of the reasons why I stopped travelling up to Scotland was every time I visited a new marsh it would take me a few days to explore the marsh and a few more to sort out where the flightlines were and with luck I would find a worth wile spot at the end of the week and then it was time to come home. Without good contacts you will have the same trouble coming south. Another problem you will have a probationary system but there are ways of getting around such restrictions. A probation system may seen a bit hard for an experianced fowler , but with Natural England being a landlord or manager of so many wetlands a club cannot risk a novice shooting protected birds and putting the clubs lease at risk. Many clubs will have a restrictive catchment area , but others have an open door policy. One of my clubs accepts members from anywhere across the country and offers its members the chance of duck\goose shooting American style, shooting with rafts of decoys from a boat on a large Lake.

Good luck with your search

Newcastle wildfowlers...you will find it on the basc northern site and also Northumberland & Durham wildfowlers both good clubs!!

The above is good advice and probably your closest option, the north west clubs would be a good option but as pointed out well subscribed,

The humber offers fair sport at times and there are many clubs from the trent out to the sea you may be able to get into, email the clubs in that area see whats each club has to offer.

Further east the lincolnshire and wash clubs are a good option and popular with fowlers from many areas.

Kent allthough a long haul for you, offer good sport and they offer a discount for wildfowlers who live a long way off as far as i know, and i think your distance would get you the discount.

on the whole clubs in lancs including the ones on the ribble seem to be decent clubs....but this also means that they are hard to join and can require a potential member to be sponsored......are any of your lancastrian friends members of clubs, they might be able to help or shed a bit more light on getting a trip....atb....misser .

Cheers for all the info and PM's ! Really appreciate all the info. One thing I did think about is the waiting lists for clubs. Im just turning 26 so I figured it's better to get the ball rolling now if it is going to take me a few years to get into somewhere.

Hal,

The other problem you may have is that many clubs down south have probationer rules, ie new members have to do say 2 accompanied flights before being allowed out by themselves, that would make your weekly visit a bit hard!

If you want to go really south then obviously Kent Wildfowlers have plenty of land but I don't know what there rules are.

You could try a trip west to the Hebs? I think their foreshore falls under the same rules as mainland scotland.

Cheers

Mark

Cheers Mark. I've been thinking this and it may mean that if I am to join anywhere, it may take me several years to get past any probationary period just because I could only manage a couple of flights in a year,(say I get down for a couple of days a season). Are you/were you a member of any clubs down south?

Have you tried getting hold of the BASC members wildfowling permits booklet? It contains contact info for club secretaries etc and may give you the information you require.

Yes thanks, had a look into it for lindesfarne and a few other places :good: It's actually quite a useful resource!

Newcastle wildfowlers...you will find it on the basc northern site and also Northumberland & Durham wildfowlers both good clubs!!

Thank you!

I'm in dee, the marsh is a good marsh but there was a 2 year wait for a place and the you have to be taken out 10 times before you can go alone. I'm in season 2and so far have managed 6 visits.
I'm assured it's worth it once you get through the red tape but don't expect to just sign a form and go when it suits.

Thanks!

Wildfowler.250 if you are prepared to travel away from NW England ( many clubs seem to have a long waiting list ) there is a huge choice , many at a reasonable price and some offer inland as well as coastal fowling plus pigeon shooting and some game shooting. However I suspect you will have to forge friendships within the clubs to get the best of the shooting available. One of the reasons why I stopped travelling up to Scotland was every time I visited a new marsh it would take me a few days to explore the marsh and a few more to sort out where the flightlines were and with luck I would find a worth wile spot at the end of the week and then it was time to come home. Without good contacts you will have the same trouble coming south. Another problem you will have a probationary system but there are ways of getting around such restrictions. A probation system may seen a bit hard for an experianced fowler , but with Natural England being a landlord or manager of so many wetlands a club cannot risk a novice shooting protected birds and putting the clubs lease at risk. Many clubs will have a restrictive catchment area , but others have an open door policy. One of my clubs accepts members from anywhere across the country and offers its members the chance of duck\goose shooting American style, shooting with rafts of decoys from a boat on a large Lake.

Good luck with your search

Thanks anser2, very helpful reply. I agree with everything you're saying. Even locally you can go out one morning and the birds can be absent or heading off in a totally different direction; to go to the other end of the country may take a good week to suss out as you're saying. I'm not fixed on NW to be honest. I just have a few friends dotted around lancashire area. It's duck shooting that really interests me. Shooting from a boat sounds very interesting!

The above is good advice and probably your closest option, the north west clubs would be a good option but as pointed out well subscribed,

The humber offers fair sport at times and there are many clubs from the trent out to the sea you may be able to get into, email the clubs in that area see whats each club has to offer.

Further east the lincolnshire and wash clubs are a good option and popular with fowlers from many areas.

Kent allthough a long haul for you, offer good sport and they offer a discount for wildfowlers who live a long way off as far as i know, and i think your distance would get you the discount.

Thank you Tony. Out of interest, why are the NW clubs so popular? If it is somewhere I am only likely to get to once a season, then it doesn't hugely matter where it is as its a long drive and if kent do a discount that may be a good idea.

on the whole clubs in lancs including the ones on the ribble seem to be decent clubs....but this also means that they are hard to join and can require a potential member to be sponsored......are any of your lancastrian friends members of clubs, they might be able to help or shed a bit more light on getting a trip....atb....misser .

Thanks misser. When you say sponsored, do you mean you have to know someone to vouch for you to get into the club? No none of my friends in these areas shoot much. They're all newly qualified vets so are now dotted around the country. Because it's a treck to go see them, I figured I could tie the journey in with some shooting and eventually,(hopefully) introduce some of them to wildfowling as well