Stubble trouble

NatureBoy

Out bit later again this weekend.Saw other shooters heading for the farm with knocked back rape i shot last week.so checked

some other farms first.Very few pigeons about and mainly in the trees and hedges on the buds. beans well up now and had seen nothing much on them since they were drilled. So headed to the farm i shot last week

No shooters and very few pigeons about.Plus looked like it had been shot during the week.only other likely opportunity on anther farm and field where the rape that had been direct drilled on stubble last Autum had failed on a large part of the field. A few more birds about but none down feeding. was just about to head off to check last farm when some birds came over and headed down out of sight in a dip the other end of the field on the stubble well away from any rape. Drove down to that end but could see nothing from the road as this field slopes away.On driving up the margin about 100 pigeons lifted from the stubble.

and weren't in any hurry to leave the field.I wouldn't normally shoot along this hedge but as the paddocks next to the field were being rested and empty and were attracting a few birds to things were looking good.Had a look where they were feeding and found lot of various weeds were coming up in the old stubble where the farmer had stopped bothering to spray this end of the field.Set up against the high thick mature hedge with the strengthening wind off my back.Not ideal as the sun in my face and the field slopes away up hill.Magnet with 2 breasted bird 10yrds out and to the left where any birds crossing the paddock behind could also see it through a gape in the hedge. Breasted birds on flapper and angel 25yrds out to the left. 12 flocked shells in random patten no more than 30yrds out.2 breasted birds on floaters about 70yrds out hoping to pull birds from another paddock that joins the other side of the field. Confidence crow on margin to left.Park truck and get the maxus loaded about 1oc and wait. Nothing for 15 mins so guessing the birds have settled in the paddocks fire a scare shoot. Birds lift from both paddocks and come from all directions across the field some into and across the pattern.In the next 5 mins i manage to down 7 birds things are going well.Then all goes quiet again. A crow comes over from behind and is downed.Pigeons on cradles and added to patten. Crow chined and out to left. Over the next 4hrs on strengthening wind pigeons crows, jacks and rooks come to the patten and are shot.TROUBLE was!While focusing on the wary corvids floating in on the wind i was missing pigeons hurtling into the coys out of the sun and below the horizon.Things really slowed about 6.30 and i ended the day picking 18 pigeons 7 rooks 5 jacks and 4 crows plus a bonus rabbit walking back to my truck for 87 carts. A short while after started shooting i noticed a kestrel off to the left. It flew off when i shot only to return a short while later and disappear into the hedge line.It Was only when i herd chicks calling i realised i had set up near there nest.What to do? But they did seem really bothered by my shooting and carried on feeding there young all the time i was there.Later i could see the chicks in the entrance of a nest hole in nearby tree.Another highlight of my day apart from shooting some high challenging birds in strong wind was watching a pair of hobbies in display flight over the field. The first i have seen this year. NB

nice read, good when you get a few out of nothing. what do you mean by breasted birds?

Thanks mate! Very true!

It's as Marsh Man says. Process all my birds etc myself as dealers pay so little and i don't get big bags.Give or barter any i have spare to anyone that wants them.Try and put it all in food chain.Sometimes get meat ,fish veg ,home brew or favours in return. Also i have met couple of gals in the field this way to.Cos they been partial to a bit of wild meat!Lol! Breast out most unless anyone asks for whole birds.The better ones i use for decoys i just pluck a narrow line out up centre of breasts. Remove breasts carefully and fold feathered skin back over breast bone.Leave them on there backs in chiller down low and this seems to dry em out a bit and skin sticks to breast bone so still looking like convincing whole birds.have used them up to 3 weeks like this and always have a few birds ready to go.Lighter to carry, don't go off so quick and easier on the magnet and batteries.Just twist wing at joint for flapper as no connected muscle resistance. Seems to work for me and no waste of great food.

Thanks for your interest and positive comments folks.It's always great to see and learn about other wildlife when pursuing our pigeon popping addiction! NB