Mentoring

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay guys this is the meat of the letter, obviously there were a couple of other paragraphs more specific to my circumstances but this should help you if you come across a Firearms department being wilfully difficult:-

Accordingly; if you read the very good advice contained in Ministerial guidance on firearms law; paragraph 13.26 outlines that for “new applicants” experience is desirable. I am not a new applicant. I have been using a .22 rifle for some time and without coming to the attention of the police. The paragraph recognises that choosing a safe backstop is “neither cartridge nor ammunition type exclusive” and “may include the shooting of any quarry species”. It further says that “The aspect that police are looking to be satisfied about is the competency of the applicant to take a safe shot”. As such and with the open condition in mind; it cannot be said that I am inexperienced.

I accept that a partial revocation would be appropriate in other circumstances, however in light of the difference between West Mercia’s view of experience versus the latest public policy determined by Government Minsters and Successive FELWG leads since ACC Adrian Whiting. I would like you to please reconsider the fact I have sufficient experience to own and use a .243 rifle over land. I attach a genuine substantial permission for land where relevant species are found.

If a refusal is made please will you kindly provide me with a formal refusal letter so I can avail myself of the legal expenses cover that comes with membership of BASC.

Interesting ,I am in the position at the moment where I can shoot (pretty much ) anything at my target club.

I have HMR and .22lr for land too.

I want to put in for a .223 or .243 for target,on the basis of ,come renewal I would get the CF opened up for fox on my permission (The permission is only cleared for rimfire calibres,and is unlikely to be opened up for CF,however others with open certs use CF on it)

I did speak to my FEO about it recently,who mumbled something about 'maybe'

Can they refuse a CF calibre for target?