B'ham made Webley & Scott shotgun's,

redial

Can anyone inform me please how the 500 and 700 differed if at all.

I have always wanted a Brum made W&S, they are similar money now to a

AYA No 2.

Thank you for any information

Phil.

Unable to help with the difference BUT I do know where there is a nice 700 for sale, complete with a Brady case. PM me if interested. BUT it will need collection !

The 500 which was a light weight game gun and was produced between 1925 and 1946 & was also refered to as the `Propriety`. It was made in grade 2 only and as with the Model 400, they were fitted with the Webley Screw Grip which was a type of rib extension patented by Webley. It is visualy externally different to the Webley 700 by having the rear of the action scalloped.

The Model 700 was produced by Webley from 1947 to 1979. For around the first 4 years of production the 700 was only available in grade 3. Higher grades (701 and 702) were introduced in 1951. These featured better wood and drop points to the stock and more profuse engraving. A small proportion of 700s were built with a non-selective single trigger. In addition to the 701 & 702 four special versions of the 700 were designed for the US market. In 1980 the company was reformed as W & C Scott (Gunmakers) Ltd, however for various reasons, not least the influx of shotguns from Spain and Italy etc, the company was sold to Holland & Holland in early 1985 who oversaw and marketed the `Bowood`, `Kinmount` and `Chatsworth` best boxlock game guns with variants aimed directly at the American market.

Plenty of good 700s around for sensible money and I would suspect spares are fairly easy to obtain. The 500 while not rare, was not produced in the quantities of the 700; and as production ceased in 1946 I would suspect spares if required may well be problematical. Albeit a decent gunsmith may well be able to adjust 700 blanks to fit.

Trust this helps.

Edited by JJsDad

Hi redial.

If its of any help, dont take your eye off the fact that Webley`s were prolific suppliers of complete guns and barreled actions to a whole host of other makers.

For a number of years I owned a William Evans that had rather nice wood and some very fine engraving, but was actually a Webley 700 in all but the name on the rib and had probably been stocked and engraved through them rather than Webley`s. The same can be applied to a number of other `top` makers, so its not just the name on the rib that defines where it was made.

As with all the older English guns, its condition that is the important thing. Rather a good or mint Webley than a totally clapped out Purdey that would cost a small fortune to keep in firing order.

Basic difference between the two were-

1 Simplified ejector trippers .

2 Grip nut had a square cut thread replaced with conventional thread form

3 Hammer/striker replaced the disc set strikers

4 Change in safe mechanism

Really the basic gun was the same but modifications were made to make the manufacturer less complicated and more economic in the hand build up .

Other minor cosmetic differences such as shape of the safe button the later addition of a screw and bush rather than a single forend iron screw etc.were introduced .Most 500's were 2&1/2" 700's after 1965 were mainly 2&3/4"

As with buying any second hand gun it should be bought from either a reliable dealer or have it checked by a competent gunsmith who has had experience of thes type of guns .The fact that it has a solid joint pin is not a problem as there are ways and means of re-jointing should it be necessary .If indeed this is so then it will be reflected in the price .Webleys are good solid guns but like all mechanical devices maintenance or lack of it and abuse/neglect can have there toll .