Long range Rimfie 17Hmr

I also think the common decency is getting in short supply but then when you see some threads thrown so far off topic i can see why to a degree.

I wouldnt get upset by the post either but i would wonder why it was posted when it just downs the caliber and not really the thoughts he was asking for.

Hence why I said I'd have just ignored a slightly off topic reply.

This has gone completely down the pan for that I apologise for any thing I said wrong as I said am not here to argue. Build a bridge an get over it lads

Top man.

Cant help with the long range stuff as personally i think windage is a major at distance but with the right equipment would be made easier.

Have the caliber and love it but ive got some good ground where i can sit and take rabbits in the 80-120m and head shooting at that range is superb with it.

Use it for the foxes but try and keep the range within 100m.

The only draw back at the moment with shooting out much over 200 with the HMR is the rubbish ammo. I certainly wouldn't take shots at live quarry at that range. Those that say it's accurate, i would question there range finders if they say that they can hit a beer can consistently at over 200yds end on.

Let's hope that they get the QC back in control.

Now as someone has mentioned already, the 17 CF will be better.

Lol

Lighten up boys ;-)

Top man.

Cant help with the long range stuff as personally i think windage is a major at distance but with the right equipment would be made easier.

Have the caliber and love it but ive got some good ground where i can sit and take rabbits in the 80-120m and head shooting at that range is superb with it.

Use it for the foxes but try and keep the range within 100m.

Looks like I may buy a wind reader and get to grips with steel targets at a longer distance.

I know nothing about range weather it would be a better way to lean from a few first hand or if it would be worth it with a Rimfie. It's £300 pa after the first year it's £100 pa their after.. But I do want to know more about what I shoot how I shoot it before I move up into centre fire if you get my drift? I thought if you get it down with rim fire it will help understand what goes on with cf before I move up! I could just go buy a cf an go banging but what's the point... That's the point of this post 👍🏻

That makes sense now.

Although cf act very differently to rf, get comfortable with the hummer, but shooting at longer ranges you'll be far better off with a cf.

I doff my hat to you, marksmanship is marksmanship.

The dark world of ballistics....

must admit to being inspired that much by his videos ive gone back to the HMR ,my third one now after saying that i wouldnt have another,i did seriously consider a .17 hornet,but as i havent the time for reloading and the price of factory ammo put that one out of the window.I also thought about a WMR but with the flatter shooting of the hmr and wanting to try and push the distances,there was really only one choice

bought a cheap wind meter of e-bay,and have gone back to a hawke sidewinder (the make of scope i had when i bought my first air rifle,many years ago),although i must say hawke have upped their game substantionally

must admit to being inspired that much by his videos ive gone back to the HMR ,my third one now after saying that i wouldnt have another,i did seriously consider a .17 hornet,but as i havent the time for reloading and the price of factory ammo put that one out of the window.I also thought about a WMR but with the flatter shooting of the hmr and wanting to try and push the distances,there was really only one choice

bought a cheap wind meter of e-bay,and have gone back to a hawke sidewinder (the make of scope i had when i bought my first air rifle,many years ago),although i must say hawke have upped their game substantionally

I bought my 17 with a 3x9-40 done ok. I wanted something better so I settled for Hawke Vantage 4-16x50 AO Rifle Scope, Mil-dot for the 17Hmr with the glass marked with approx bullet drop for the cal. I like the Hawke scope I must say! I have almost changed the complete rifle from when I bought it. And pondering with the idea of going longer range the seed is def planted now seeing some of those kills of Freemdomofabird! That's just were I want to be with a 17! How did you get on with the cheap wind meter was it good enough for the job??

yeah no problem with it at all , paid about £12 for it,although you can get them a bit cheaper but i think their all the same for around that price,im not saying its spot on as you can pay hundreds for kestrel etc , but for what i need it for it seems to be pretty accurate,at least the bunnies cant complain

You can have fun plinking with the HMR at longer distance, but really, weather conditions have to be pretty still to get any sort of consistency. For fun, I shot at ranges up to 250 yards with one aiming for an 8 inch gong. I could pretty much land all shots on the gong, but with the grouping of a shotgun. I found that at those ranges, inconsistencies in ammo really showed with the vertical spread, and the slightest change to wind (and I mean just a 1mph change) would show up in several inches or more in horizontal spread. You can use an app such as Strelock and use a cheap hand held wind meter, but really, once you're on target, just shooting groups at something like a gong or A4 sized target will tell you more about how wind etc affects this little round than playing in apps. Would I use one on game at this distance? No way, but I suspect neither would you either. I found that other than for plinking and a bit of fun, a more realistic "long distance" was between 130 and 150 yards and no more. It simply sheds too much velocity beyond this and gets blown around too much.

You can have fun plinking with the HMR at longer distance, but really, weather conditions have to be pretty still to get any sort of consistency. For fun, I shot at ranges up to 250 yards with one aiming for an 8 inch gong. I could pretty much land all shots on the gong, but with the grouping of a shotgun. I found that at those ranges, inconsistencies in ammo really showed with the vertical spread, and the slightest change to wind (and I mean just a 1mph change) would show up in several inches or more in horizontal spread. You can use an app such as Strelock and use a cheap hand held wind meter, but really, once you're on target, just shooting groups at something like a gong or A4 sized target will tell you more about how wind etc affects this little round than playing in apps. Would I use one on game at this distance? No way, but I suspect neither would you either. I found that other than for plinking and a bit of fun, a more realistic "long distance" was between 130 and 150 yards and no more. It simply sheds too much velocity beyond this and gets blown around too much.

Thanks lads think I have every thing I need 👍🏻

yeah no problem with it at all , paid about £12 for it,although you can get them a bit cheaper but i think their all the same for around that price,im not saying its spot on as you can pay hundreds for kestrel etc , but for what i need it for it seems to be pretty accurate,at least the bunnies cant complain

Just a note about the wind meter,it tells you wind speed,not direction.

A bit of thread attached to something within your vision as you are taking the shot is the way forward,mod ect.

Every respect for F.O.A.B . but Id like to see him take a shot with todays rubbish ammo.

totally agree with Savhmr you must really take weather conditions into account even with wind meters and apps,common sense , a lot of practice plus hopefully the ammo issue will be sorted when the ammo eventually arrives here and even when it does i think it pays to shoot a good few rounds ,just to see how it groups,but at the end of the day it is factory ammo and it will be what it is

+1 with telf. Thankfully the last 10 boxes of ammo I've had have all been the same batch and have all been fine :) all consistent to do less than an inch at 100, half inch if I'm concentrating enough :lol: wind drift is the biggest issue at longer ranges and the fact if shooting distance with the hmr they don't expand well at all