Bore micrometer

gustav

Ive always worked on when it's touching and just drags slightly, if you turn until it won't go anymore you will damage it by stressing it to where it will not read true and need recalibration.

Thanks, that is what I have done but I have the concern that it seems to be imprecise, in that it leaves room for error.

What I want to be an exact engineering measurement is relying on human judgement.

Gustaf

You need to use a gauge peice to check it against. So it could be a 1cm cube a ball bearing anything constant that you know the exact measurement of. You then turn until it just grips this object and read the scale see it matches. If it's close turn until it reads true and feel the tension required by backing off and re measuring. You will soon get the feel of what tension needed to get a true reading. Hence the reason need ones have a ratchet to make it easier to reproduce the right tension time and again.

When both measuring surfaces are clean it should read zero when closed

Edited by figgy

Bore micrometers need calibrating with setting rings see the link, but they are an expensive option.

Slip guages can be used but again expensive if you haven't any,

aAny old cube or ball bearing will be inconsistent & give in-accurate calibration.

http://www.higherprecision.com/products/bore-gages/fowler-bowers-replacement-xt-setting-ring-54-332-004

You need to use a gauge peice to check it against. So it could be a 1cm cube a ball bearing anything constant that you know the exact measurement of. You then turn until it just grips this object and read the scale see it matches. If it's close turn until it reads true and feel the tension required by backing off and re measuring. You will soon get the feel of what tension needed to get a true reading. Hence the reason need ones have a ratchet to make it easier to reproduce the right tension time and again.

When both measuring surfaces are clean it should read zero when closed

Either I have not explained myself properly or I am being exceptionally stupid even by my standards!

How does one use a solid object to check an instrument that is intended to be inserted into a gun barrel?

Sorry to have to bother you again. Many thanks, Gustaf.