lamping

monkeyboots

Well.. I am slowly getting used to this. I used to be very biased to hunting with dogs. But now im learning :D

IMO it goes quicker then I thought, and its nature after all.. animal on animal. I am still not keen on large hunts when the fox is out numbered and hasnt a fighting chance.. but like this it seems to work.

Nice going, youl have saved someones chickens.

After I watched a fox grab a chicken (my mums much wanted birthday present) I have been doing everything I can to hunt them. As good as they are at cleaning up dead or diseased animals, they destroy a lot of healthy wildlife, and livestock.

Unfortunatly the goverment here thinks its better for a load of lambs to be killed compared to one fox.

Ok.. here it is.. I apologise to those I offended in my dog hunting posts a while ago ;)

the lurcher has the fox dead in seconds the chase is usualy over in seconds depending how close the fox comes in and with the lurcher you either get the fox or he lives to fight another day

Thats what I like about either rifle hunting or a single dog. Everything deserves a chance (well nearly) :D

How do you find them, do you use a lamp like with rifle hunting?

You are getting a fair few with that dog ;) Your calling technique must be up to scratch to bring them in regularly :D Cant get close to them with the rifle these days myself all are sitting out 100yrd+

i use a cheap fox call and once i pick 1 up in the lamp i then use my hand to squeak them theres plenty my way as well who sit way back as well and the dog has also missed a few as well that where well within shotgun range but as they say you win sum you loose sum

You are getting a fair few with that dog ;) Your calling technique must be up to scratch to bring them in regularly :D Cant get close to them with the rifle these days myself all are sitting out 100yrd+

i use a cheap fox call and once i pick 1 up in the lamp i then use my hand to squeak them theres plenty my way as well who sit way back as well and the dog has also missed a few as well that where well within shotgun range but as they say you win sum you loose sum

The fox has a good enough chance against a single dog its a lot fairer to the fox than a pack of dogs chasing it till its knackered-as in hunting with hounds,i go out with my mate often enough he has a good wippet/lurcher that is fairly handy on the foxes for the size of the dog its amazing to watch.I have seen a good few lurchers none as powerful looking as your fella though,judging from the last pic you put up yesterday the dog seems to go for the exact same spot on the throat of the fox he knows his stuff :lol:

You are getting a fair few with that dog :lol: Your calling technique must be up to scratch to bring them in regularly :lol: Cant get close to them with the rifle these days myself all are sitting out 100yrd+

The fox has a good enough chance against a single dog its a lot fairer to the fox than a pack of dogs chasing it till its knackered-as in hunting with hounds,i go out with my mate often enough he has a good wippet/lurcher that is fairly handy on the foxes for the size of the dog its amazing to watch.I have seen a good few lurchers none as powerful looking as your fella though,judging from the last pic you put up yesterday the dog seems to go for the exact same spot on the throat of the fox he knows his stuff :lol:

Over 90% of foxes caught by hunts are old or are carrying some form of injury or disease AND these foxes are the same ones that are the culprits that take chickens,lambs and the like cos they arent up to catching WILD prey.

So you could say that foxhunting is more targeted than rifle shooting,and i have never seen a fox get away once it has been caught by a lead hound.They either get away or die within seconds.

Can you say the same about rifle shot ones?

There must have been some you think you hit but have ran off.

You are getting a fair few with that dog :lol: Your calling technique must be up to scratch to bring them in regularly :lol: Cant get close to them with the rifle these days myself all are sitting out 100yrd+

my only issue with it is if you are doing fox control to stop problems with them predating on livestock or game that it is too fair. If the fox has a good chance of getting away then it will help to produce lamp shy foxes, as lets face it once they've had a dog run at them from a lamp they're going to be off as soon as they see a lamp.

Our ground we've had problems with ****** using dogs on Muntjack and strangely enough have had quite a few foxes that you put a lamp on and they disapear into the next county. Co-Incidence I think not

I've seen this before somewhere :lol::lol:

any way................as previously mentioned, the dog looks like granite and is a credit to you..

certainly earning his keep!.....

there aren't too many 'doggin lads' on here Monkey, so perhaps you could educate them and explain how you get to a 9/16 7/16 bull / grey....

happy hunting :lol:

Thats one strong looking dog you got there mister. :good: what breed is it.?

Keep up the good work and keep the pic's comeing :)

Kipper :)

hes a greyhound x staffordshire bull terrier

Great looking dog, I thought there was more than a sniff of staff in him, h'es got a nice strong head. When my two staffs are no longer with me I want a grey x staff, great hunters and everyone Ive come across has a real good temprement as well.As much as I love my pure bred staff terriers, they are ****** all use for anything constructive! :P !