Barrel shortening

Dunkield

I had 2 possible options to restore the handling on my moderated CZ527 (3 if you include not using the mod)

One was to flog the PES and get a smaller/lighter moderator, the other is to get the barrel chopped.

I like the quality of the PES and selling secondhand, on ticket mods, isn't that easy.

So having found a good riflesmith that will do the work at a reasonable price, and a very quick turnaround (mail order as well :good: ) I am getting the barrel chopped.

My gun is the Lux which has a very thin 23" barrel, my intention is to reduce that to 19"

I have had a look round and found a few articles on it, but before it goes away can anyone think a good reason not to do this?

Perhaps Reloader 7 would be a good choice. I used to use this in my .222. :good:

G.M.

As I have just bought a Kilo of N133 (£50!) I will see how it goes with that, and then fiddle if it doesn't work to well.

OK, Saturday it goes for the chop :good:

Here are the 'before' pictures...

Mod off

HPIM1427__Small_.JPG

Mod on

HPIM1428__Small_.JPG

OK, Saturday it goes for the chop :oops:

Mod off

HPIM1427__Small_.JPG

Mod on

HPIM1428__Small_.JPG

OK it's back from the chop shop already, the difference in handling is unbelievable :P

I won't know how it shoots for a couple of weeks but I may be able to a quick zero set at the weekend.

So here are the 'after' pictures.

Mod off

Redding_003__Small_.jpg

Mod on

Redding_004__Small_.jpg

Thanks for the reply Graham, I do reload (just) and I am using N133 for the .223 which is, I beleive, one of the quicker powders.

Try 22gn of N-133 with a 55gn bullet. It works in the bosses Remy with a cut barrel and thumbnails at 100 yards.

Dave

Looks pretty nicely proportioned i can;t see that it should effect the accuarcy, and not a bad turn around time either, jobs a goodun :oops:

The guy actually turned it round in the same day, it toook a day at each end to be posted to him and back + I have haven't had time to screw it back together until today.

I think it will be more accurate at least with the mod off, as the barrel is thicker where it has been threaded, so it has a proper crown on it now - it didn't have that when I had it threaded the first time.

Thanks for the reply Graham, I do reload (just) and I am using N133 for the .223 which is, I beleive, one of the quicker powders.

Try 22gn of N-133 with a 55gn bullet. It works in the bosses Remy with a cut barrel and thumbnails at 100 yards.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I am not too far from there with my powder, I use 52grn A Max's and still have loads to try out but there are there or abouts

Hope it performs well

Me too Ive, otherwise I will be asking him if he can glue it back on :oops:

I wish I had easy access to a chrono, I would liked to have reported the before and after muzzle velocity.

Althought it would have been interesting, I am not bothered about speed really, accuracy is far more important.

I had 2 possible options to restore the handling on my moderated CZ527 (3 if you include not using the mod)

One was to flog the PES and get a smaller/lighter moderator, the other is to get the barrel chopped.

I like the quality of the PES and selling secondhand, on ticket mods, isn't that easy.

So having found a good riflesmith that will do the work at a reasonable price, and a very quick turnaround (mail order as well :rolleyes: ) I am getting the barrel chopped.

My gun is the Lux which has a very thin 23" barrel, my intention is to reduce that to 19"

I have had a look round and found a few articles on it, but before it goes away can anyone think a good reason not to do this?

What is the minimum legal length a rifle barrel, is it not as per a shotgun? I dont believe the moderator can be considered part of the barrel as it can be easily detatched.

If I chopped my Anshutz semi with 10 round mag and mod it would make a very useful "sawn off" :lol:

That is until the SWAT guys turned up!! :lol:

:lol: D2D

OK, Saturday it goes for the chop :rolleyes:

Mod off

post-2157-1174502196.jpg

Mod on

post-2157-1174502218.jpg

OK it's back from the chop shop already, the difference in handling is unbelievable :lol:

I won't know how it shoots for a couple of weeks but I may be able to a quick zero set at the weekend.

So here are the 'after' pictures.

Mod off

post-2157-1175186057.jpg

Mod on

post-2157-1175186078.jpg

How much did they charge to fit a trigger? :lol: