Reblueing

welshwarrior

OH OK - old then.

Best bet would be to try and hot blue it then rather than chemical cold blue.

Local gunsmith should not charge too much for a trigger guard.

I have to agree that the Birchwood cold blue does not last very long. I have just ordered some Blue Wonder (Black) from the states which is a kind of hot blueing you can do yourself with a heat source.

Blue Wonder Demo

I have a couple of projects on the go that require a touch up.

Only place I could find it in the UK was Midway, so its on route from the USA.

Best bet would be to try and hot blue it then rather than chemical cold blue.

Local gunsmith should not charge too much for a trigger guard.

Local Gunsmith is miles away well the one that will do work (the nearest said yes he would do it but bring it back in April!!!) I also like to try these things to 'have ago'

Has anyone tried Phillips Professional Gun Blue looks a bit more complicated but sounds like the cold blueing described in Sporting Gun last month.

ive blued quite a few small bits and pieces just by polishing with fine wet and dry then heat over gas cooker or blow lamp untill it starts turning blue then rub with oil soaked rag it whatch your fingers it stays hot a long time if its not quite right rub it up and try again does no harm and costs nowt

G96 Gun Blue Creme.

£5 to £6 on Fleabay - follow the instructions on the jar.

Easy to use, requires no heat or special skills - will provide a deep lasting blue providing:-

1 You ensure that all metal parts are cleaned and degreased thoroughly.

2 You follow the instructions to the letter.

3 You wear rubber gloves to prevent hand contamination during the bluing process.

I have blued parts of barrels, whole barrels, bits of guns and the full action and barrels. Will do all the bluing you require without streaking and will provide an even coating.

The final coat should be put on with very fine wire wool and rubbed hard to get that extra deep lustre. Finally wash off any surplus creme with warm water and lightly oil - job done.

Tip - like all finishing jobs, the art is in the preparation not the application.

6 P’s = Proper Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance.

T'

• 2 weeks later...

I have just restored a Webley and Scott B/A .410 and used Klever Quick Browning which seems to be the business. Last a long time and gives a deep bluing, I am truly happy with the end product. Tetra gun bluing is the next best I have used but this Klever really gives a factory fresh finish.

ballistol

On the other hand I have also found this, and will order some next time I need some bluing :

Bluing kit

Give the metal work a good polish with 000 wire wool and some metal polish, no need to remove the old bluing, just polish the surface of the metal. Warm the metal with a hair drier and degrease with brake cleaner. Be bold and wet a cloth with bluing (ware gloves) and rub all over, polish again with 000 and re-blue, finishing off with a good polish with oil.

John

I have just restored a Webley and Scott B/A .410 and used Klever Quick Browning which seems to be the business. Last a long time and gives a deep bluing, I am truly happy with the end product. Tetra gun bluing is the next best I have used but this Klever really gives a factory fresh finish.

ballistol

On the other hand I have also found this, and will order some next time I need some bluing :

Bluing kit

Give the metal work a good polish with 000 wire wool and some metal polish, no need to remove the old bluing, just polish the surface of the metal. Warm the metal with a hair drier and degrease with brake cleaner. Be bold and wet a cloth with bluing (ware gloves) and rub all over, polish again with 000 and re-blue, finishing off with a good polish with oil.

John

I liked the look of the second link here and decided to go for it.

My barrels were spotted with rust after storing the gun in a damp case and leaving in the gun cabinet for a couple of weeks (long story), and having rubbed down with fine wool to remove the rust it has also taken the blue away wherever there was a rust spot which is basically all over!

I spoke to a very helpful chap at Caswell Europe who went into great detail regarding preparation and application. Though I have an unopened bottle of bluing liquid at home, the instructions are so vague that I just don't feel comfortable using it.

Delivery by courier this Friday and I will take before, stage and after pictures (good or bad) and let you guys know how I got on.

Wish me luck!

Well done!!! make sure you let us know the out come, I'm going to be buying a batch in the next couple of weeks. What was the over all cost?

John

Spoke to a very chap there and he spent a while going into detail of how to clean off the existing blue, degrease, apply and seal.

He said they used to supply Webley their blueing process before Webley farmed the bluing out to a third party. The guy is a chemist (not the pharmacy type) and I was quite impressed with his knowledge on metal coatings.

At the end he didn't sell me the kit on the link, they have developed an equivilent in a cream which means I don't have to worry about blocking the ends of the barrels and emersing in a bath.

Cost about £13.00 sent by a courier (postal strikes).

I will definitely let you know how I get on, even if it's a disaster!

Cost about £13.00 sent by a courier (postal strikes).

£13 sent :good: I paid near that for just 50ml of bluing in the first link.

Just take your time doing the job and all should go well. I find with bluing that the more effort you put in to polishing and degreasing the better results will be. Good luck!

John

Edited by Hunter_zero

Any news? Did they deliver?

John

Yep delivered Firday as promised!

Got the hydrochloric acid to take the existing blue off, got the celulose thinners for degreasing and oil for dressing. But I just haven't managed to find 1000 and 1200 wire wool.

Any idea where I can pick this up from? I haven't looked to be honest, spent all weekend hanging doors :blush:

Yep delivered Firday as promised!

Got the hydrochloric acid to take the existing blue off, got the celulose thinners for degreasing and oil for dressing. But I just haven't managed to find 1000 and 1200 wire wool.

Any idea where I can pick this up from? I haven't looked to be honest, spent all weekend hanging doors :blush:

for 00 00 grade wire wool go to any decent engineering or tool suppliers and you will get it there , buy it on the roll it is cheaper

I always regret attempting to reblue my gun myself with the Birchwood casey absolute ****, I polished the barrels until they were gleaming and degreased but it just wipes off too easy and gets this rust developing really easy more like a surface dust than anything but makes it look tacky. I also didnt like the blue finish it wasnt a dark colour I wanted no matter how many applications I put on it just didnt work. NEVER buy birchwood casey!!