First walked up day on new shoot...

Nial

We had our first walked up day on a small shoot I joined this year with Double Barrel and Hogey (from PW) this morning.

The shoot's based on a farm 20 miles south of Edinburgh.

There were 5 guns out with three beaters/pickers up, all friends of Double Barrel. One guy had his

dog and a father and son team came from Glasgow with their three legged gun dog. They said

she'd been going lame and struggling so the vet suggested taking the leg off and she worked well

today!

The highlights for me were bagging a hare as we walked across a stubble field and winging a

pheasant which rose 15 yards in front to the left and flew straight in front of the line. It was

one of those 'can't miss' shots, which I nearly did miss. The guy next to me nailed it.

We had a good walk around and in a few places saw more pheasants about that the dogs

didn't flush, or that escaped us. Never mind, more for next time!

We finished the day shooting the feral pigeons round the farm, with the wind these were much

more challenging shots than the pheasants (it highlighted what good sport pigeon shooting

is).

It was a mixed day weather wise, from sun to almost horizontal rain but was good crack with a

decent bunch of guys and a bag of four pheasants and 3 hare.

post-12680-1254587109.jpg

I've got a pheasant that's waiting for me in the garage so I'm away to youtube how to

skin it.

Nial.

Edited by Nial

Nice one !

Remember to check this out....... Skinning and bird preparation :good:

I did it the way the Shooting Times video on Youtube does it. One major difference is

that they cut the skin round the 'knee' then using pliers on the foot just pull it off.

This removes the foot and most of the tendons in the thigh.

I'm cooking it tomorrow night!

Nial.