Need advice on preping a woody !

shawi72uk

A good trick is to turn the bird on its back and cut (or twist off) the wing joints. Then peel the skin from the breasts. Holding onto its back tightly press your finger under the bottom of the ribs and pull apart hard. You'll peel both breasts and the breastbone off in one as a crown. You can do this in the field in under half a minute and without a knife when you're good, saves taking the rest home :hmm:

EDIT... I should add I'm not that good yet, it takes me just over a minute per bird :hmm:

Edited by njc110381

A good trick is to turn the bird on its back and cut (or twist off) the wing joints. Then peel the skin from the breasts. Holding onto its back tightly press your finger under the bottom of the ribs and pull apart hard. You'll peel both breasts and the breastbone off in one as a crown. You can do this in the field in under half a minute and without a knife when you're good, saves taking the rest home :hmm:

EDIT... I should add I'm not that good yet, it takes me just over a minute per bird :hmm:

This is how i do mine. I left 13 shot on Saturday and prepared them Sunday. They were in a mini outside larder and almost chilled to refrigerator level. The wings were a lot easier to twist and break off than when they hours old, often cock it up and break the bone between the 'shoulder and elbow' and this makes it tricker to pull the breastbone from the rest of the bird.

Both the YouTube references show the pigeons being plucked. As I said earlier, you can do all that without all the mess of plucking. And it is a real chore to clean up.

Or as an experiment try covering the whole bird, feathers and all, with honey, microwave it for 10 minutes and eat it whole

Both the YouTube references show the pigeons being plucked. As I said earlier, you can do all that without all the mess of plucking. And it is a real chore to clean up.

Or as an experiment try covering the whole bird, feathers and all, with honey, microwave it for 10 minutes and eat it whole

Is that to get some extra roughage in your diet?:hmm:?

If you want the whole carcass then put in boilling water; 10 second for pigeon, 18 seconds for partridge and 24 seconds for pheasant. Boilling water wets the feathers down and the said feathers fall out when rubbed - no more itchy nose with rogue feathers flying about..........

I have roasted a full pigoen before now and it was really tasty but was it worth the effort?:good:

Edited by unclestuffy