BLACK AND BLUE

AJAX

I'M NEW TO SHOTGUNNING AND NO MATTER HOW I MOUNT MY GUN I GET A KICK IN THE FACE ON FIRING. THIS PROBLEM IS WORSE WHEN SHOOTING AT A STATIONARY TARGET. CAN ANYONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHERE I'M GOING WRONG AS SOMETIMES I HESITATE TO PULL THE TRIGGER AND GO HOME BLACK AND BLUE !!!

Ern you are probably correct, I was not thinking about it being too short or too long when I was posting.

:< I was speaking from a painful experience NTTF after using that gun of yours that was about 6" too short for me.

Not to worry though I will ensure that the one I lend you will be a good fit. :(

Its a silver pigeon 3, i bought it new a coupla months ago. it seems strange that it hurts more when shooting at targets that are not moving. when the target is running or flying it seems to happen less. it only takes 1 or 2 shots to hurt and it puts me right off. at the mo i'm using 30gm loads for most of my shooting. last week i made the mistake of shooting a fox with an eley 36gm sg load and my face is still swollen now ! I wont be doing that again !!

Had a similar problem when I first started shooting with 12b.

I used to come away from the clay ground with a puffy cheekbone.

It wasnt until an old boy had a look at my gun....looking down the barrel towrds the stock, that I found out that I was shooting a gun 'cast over to accomopate a righthanded shooter....when I was infact a left handed shooter.

The way the stock is 'cast' is also a very important thing to look for when buying guns. ???

It just might be the way that you are holding it.

When we realise that a gun is going to 'kick' our reaction is to hold ourselves away from the gun and then flinch when we pull the trigger. This includes closing our eyes and pushing the gun away from the body.

Result? A gun which has no immediate resistance so it jumps back and hits the shoulder with great force. Ouch!

We do this with shotguns when a 'mate' loads a 36g cartridge for a joke when we are learning and when we take on too big a calibre with rifles.

I borrowed a Browning once which was too short and that left me bruised on my biceps so I know that it could be both. I also had a mossberg pump which used to give me nose bleeds until I worked out how to shoot with it.

Anyway, ...When going on target, mount the gun into the shoulder and push the end of the barrles to the target by using your shoulder. Lean into the shot... Push your shoulder to the the target... Squeeeeeeezzzzzzzzeeee the pistol grip, head down and pull the trigger.

This way, the gun is already under pressure and the 'kick' is absorbed by your shoulder. It acts as a shock absorber and not a recoil pad.

hope this helps.

RTD

• 2 weeks later...

Ajax I had the same problem, The gun i used didnt have enough cast and i was having to push my face into the stock to get a sight picture, if this is happening when using it for clays, are you pre mounting the gun before firing? or just bringing it up as normal?

A good gunsmith will sort this out for you no problem,

best wishes Dave.

Cheers Dave, I'm going to book myself in for a lesson and a gun fitting. I'm left handed and although there is some cast, there is very little and I think I've got my face too hard against the stock. And I think that i feel it more when the gun is pre mounted or I'm shooting at a non moving target because I'm now expecting it to hurt and so moun it badly and holding on too tight !

regards

Ajax

Edited by AJAX