Old style on the barley stubbles today .

Harnser

For the past week a large flock of pigeons have been hitting a field of barley stubble with lots of chickweed in it . I have been watching and waiting for the right time to shoot this field and today was the day .

I turned up on the field at 9 am and it was full of birds , my estimation was that there were at least 1000 pigeons on the field and flying around . I set up with 20 flocked decoys ,2 floaters and 2 flappers . I purposely left the magnet behind as I have not had much success with it just lately . I shot 6 birds very quickley and put them out as decoys on prickers . Then things started to go slow as often happens when a large flock of pigeons are scared off in one big lump . The shooting then became very slow and I was only managing the odd bird now and again .

By 11 am I had only managed to shoot about a dozen birds and decided to go old style . I took in the floaters and the flappers and and all the plastic decoys. I had about a dozen or so shot birds in the pattern and nothing else . The birds had been flying around the field all morning but had been just that little bit skitty to committ to the coys . As soon as I took in all the plastic and the gismo's the birds started to come in to the coys . I stated to have a wonderful piece of sport and was soon on 40 killed over the coys in very quick time .

By the time I decided to pack up at 3pm I had picked up 78 shot birds and proberbly another 20 birds missed and lossed .

So dont be frightend to bring in the plastic and the gismo's and go commando .

Harnser .

If you'd have started with a magnet, you'd have picked up 178.

Don't leave home without it..!! :unsure:

Cat.

Have got to agree with Harnser on this! Put the magnet out on Friday and shot about 5 birds all morning. They were all high bird too, just not committing

to the decoys so I brought it in. Had a change round to accommodate 2 floaters, a lander and 8 shells (all plastic) plus the one or two dead birds I had managed to pick.

Had a very hectic 1 1/2 hours almost immediately :lol:

GH

I am sorry but the magnet does not always work and people these days are relying too much on them.

I have been finding recently that the magnet has been pushing the birds away rather than drawing them in so we dont bother using it unless it is a windy day and we think it might work.

I have had it where the pigeons have been coming in great and as soon as the magnet went out the birds stopped coming and it turned what could have been a great day into a not so great day.