Advice Needed Re housing a Lab puppy

Paul@Ribchester

Evening folks,

Just after your advice on housing a Lab puppy which I will be bringing home in a couple of weeks.

I have had a kennel and run built for her at the bottom of our garden which has an electricity supply to it with a view to providing some sort of heating.

When we went to see her yesterday the breeder said that the puppy would not be suitable to live outside straight away. She has been in an out building since they were born with an infra red light on when it was cold, their mum was taken away from them a couple of weeks ago.

The breeder said that she would be too cold on her own and fret without the other pups around.

Any advice on this would be appreciated as its thrown a spanner in the works regarding our plans.

Thanks, Paul.

The breeder I got mine off said if your housing in a kennel outside then do it right away :good:

Might be colder this time of year now tho, also might be colder where you are :rolleyes: Aslong as you have a good kennel that will keep the wind and rain out then I think it would probally be alright. Just throw in some extra bedding n maybe a blanket for the first few weeks or months ? :good: Im sure someone who knows better will be along soon anyways :good:

Im not an expert as im only on my first dog, a cocker. I picked him up when he was 8 weeks old and had been brought up in an out building with infra red lights. For the first couple of months he slept in the house in his crate, after that he slept in a kennel no problems. The kennel is insulated but does not have any heating and he has been fine!

Get it crated up in side for a couple of months.

Then shift it outside, if you have got a good run, kennel then you should be ok. my boy is outside, his kennel walls are about 6 inches thick. boarded, insulated and boarded. same goes for the floor...

This with a load of bedding inside and hes snug as a rug..............hes always nice and warm when he gets let out in the morning.....

keep it in the house for two reasons 1 you may have to move house in the future and dont have room for a kennel 2 if you ever have to rehome the pup it will better if it house trained

Just because you kennel a dog doesnt mean there not house trained :blush: Its better to "house train" them even in the kennel so they only go when you take them out as then you dont have to muck out the kennel and run :blush:

Hi im no expert,but heres my penneys worth,i would keep it in the house for a couple of months,1)to keep a close eye on its health etc,2)to house train,3)because of winter coming up (cold,fireworks etc).ive got two dogs & have done this with each of them before putting in kennels with no problems, good luck Andy

Edited by awwintle

i've not got a gundog breed as you can see by the picture but i would think at this time of year putting a young puppy outside with firework night round the corner could be a big mistake you could wind up with a gunshy dog if you get lots round your way bright flashing and loud bangs could scare it.

i don't see all the fuss about keeping dogs ouside anyway unless you've not got the room like if you have 3-4, why not keep them inside? if there is a reason i'd like to know as i've never really understood that so genuinly intrested to hear.

I have asked the breeder to keep the puppy (Nettle) until the Monday following bonfire night, I think that's about the 9th so hopefully most of fireworks will have been set off by then. I know they seem to go on until after New Year from now but that cant be helped.

We also have another dog which lives in the house who is 12 now who has been a pet since he was seven weeks old, hence why I wanted a working dog which could be housed in a decent sized kennel and run in my garden. I have also had enough of a very doggy smelling dining room, dirty carpets and chewed doors and skirting boards when he so much as hears a party popper go off!!

Has anyone in here had a dog live outside then had to bring them in for whatever reason? Or vice versa?

Please keep the comments coming.

Paul.

Hi Paul

Both my dogs where kennel from day one of bringing them home.

For the first few months they shared a kennel.

Then as they where a bitch and dog we had to put them in separate kennels

Which they lived in for the first year of their lives.

No probs what so ever. Apart from me freting about them being cold in the winter.

They where both happy dogs.

Unfortunately one of are neighbour wasnt so happy . And was always complaining about them barking.

Which they where not as after they complained i then went round the rest of the neighbours who said they heard

Nothing from the dogs.

Anyway in the end i had enough .

So decided the dogs would come live in the house.

As both have always been kenneled we where expecting all sorts of problems.

But they where fine.

No problems what so ever and no soiling .

They have now lived indoors two years now and are very well adjusted.

The only problem we have had was a few weeks back the springer decided to chew the woodwork.

We dont know why as she had never done anything like this before.

By we sorted it out by crateing her at night.

At the end of the day your dogs will be happy where ever you put them .

As long as you give them the time during the day.

But if your like me and worry about them being outside .

Then house might be best.

But as long as they fed, watered, warmed, and loved They be more then happy outside.

xxxSuzy

i moved a few months ago and my 9 dogs where in the conservatory now tho they are kennelled outside they seem happier i have infra red lamps on now at night for my smooth coated terriers and my older dogs but my 2 young springers havent got there s on as they dont seem to need it if its a really wet crappy day i turn the lamps on to dry the dogs out after a run across the fields .

i also feed tripe on cold days mixed in with dry kibble and a bit of warm water .

there seems nothing worse than keeping a dog in a warm central heated house then expect it to sit in the rain all day shooting . we wouldnt do it with out putting a coat on !

im not saying keep the dog cold but common sense is needed ! best of luck with ya pup

best of luck m8

as with fireworks if a pup is properly reared then it shouldnt have any noise phobias .

all my litters have had me banging metal bowls . drilling etc around them none of them seem to have any probs the trick is not to fuss either if the dog seems scared as this can make the dog worse !