Best 12G cartridge for a beginer at clay pigeon

The 21g Hull comp X. They are cheap, very clean, fast, and will kill anything without any recoil. FANTASTIC. :good:

If you cant get them, try the 28g Hull comp X. Or the 24g Hull intercomp. (8s)

They are all very clean and have very little recoil. Just right for a beginner :blink:

I use them all the time for everything to do with clay shooting. :good:

Keep it simple, buy one make and model of cartridge, stick with it and get used to using it. Its one less thing to worry about.

Eley firsts are a good bet and great value for money. What you will find is there is rarely a bad cartridge these days, just personal choice and what gives you confidence and in budget for you.

Hi Guys

Whats the best catridge for a 12G shotgun for doing clay pigeon, total beginer.

Thanks

All depends on what type of clays you're going to be shooting.

Skeet 28g #9 shot

ESP 28g #7.5 or #8 shot (#9 shot for close birds)

Trap 28g #7.5 shot

IF you find too much recoil in a 28g cartridge THEN look at dropping down to a 24g/21g. Remember you have 25% more lead in the air with a 28g cartridge compared to a 21g cartridge. That could be the difference between a kill or a miss. Get the cheapest available to you. As a complete beginner even the cheapest cartridge will outperform you (no disrespect).

All depends on what type of clays you're going to be shooting.

Skeet 28g #9 shot

ESP 28g #7.5 or #8 shot (#9 shot for close birds)

Trap 28g #7.5 shot

IF you find too much recoil in a 28g cartridge THEN look at dropping down to a 24g/21g. Remember you have 25% more lead in the air with a 28g cartridge compared to a 21g cartridge. That could be the difference between a kill or a miss. Get the cheapest available to you. As a complete beginner even the cheapest cartridge will outperform you (no disrespect).

Or try not to confuse someone just starting out... theres an idea!

If you are shooting 'clays' which will be anywhere from 15- 45 yards from you #7.5 which is the standard for clay loads, will do the job, don't bother buying 250 of this and 250 of that for different disaplines, its all ********. YOU miss a bird, not the cartridge or the chokes!!

Interesting thread

I have used Eley Firsts since I started shooting with my own gun

Last week I read on here someone suggesting Eley Blues so I thought what the hell I would give them a go

Off I pop to Eastern Sporting but they didn't have any Blues but suggested the Eley Superbs if I wanted to try a step up

So come last Sunday I score my best result ever

A coincident?

I am going to buy some VIPs for this Sunday :welcomeani:

Interesting thread

I have used Eley Firsts since I started shooting with my own gun

Last week I read on here someone suggesting Eley Blues so I thought what the hell I would give them a go

Off I pop to Eastern Sporting but they didn't have any Blues but suggested the Eley Superbs if I wanted to try a step up

So come last Sunday I score my best result ever

A coincident?

I am going to buy some VIPs for this Sunday :welcomeani:

A tiny psychological edge?

The cheapest one in the shop, usually 28gr of #8 shot!

Or try not to confuse someone just starting out... theres an idea!

If you are shooting 'clays' which will be anywhere from 15- 45 yards from you #7.5 which is the standard for clay loads, will do the job, don't bother buying 250 of this and 250 of that for different disaplines, its all ********. YOU miss a bird, not the cartridge or the chokes!!

Confusing?? :welcomeani: Looks to me like the two different answers you gave are more likely to confuse.

And since when has there been a standard clay load? Different cartridges are designed for different disciplines. The same thing applies with chokes. You wouldn't shoot skeet with full choke and #7.5 shot, in the same way you wouldn't shoot trap disciplines with cylinder choke and #9 shot. It's all about giving you the best possible chance to kill the bird, so to tell a newcomer to the sport that it's all rubbish is, in my opinion far more confusing than giving them an idea of the type of shell best suited to certain disciplines, as i did in my original reply.

I always go for the cheapest 28g 7's usually from an agricultural merchant. Dont have many problems with these, although I did have a few duff ones in a box recently, luckilly no one came a cropper with them and broke thier guns or worse, and I did eventually get a refund for the said duffers, so all is well that ends well.

For pigeon shooting however you need a heavier load and larger sized shot. :welcomeani:

Ive tried a quite a few different carts from the cheaper end and for me hull comp x's take some beating for price smooth shooting and dirt in the barrels.Ive tried 21's, 28 fibres and 28 plastics and these are my choice cart .

Give these a go i think you will like em !

:good::welcomeani:

Confusing?? :rolleyes: Looks to me like the two different answers you gave are more likely to confuse.

And since when has there been a standard clay load? Different cartridges are designed for different disciplines. The same thing applies with chokes. You wouldn't shoot skeet with full choke and #7.5 shot, in the same way you wouldn't shoot trap disciplines with cylinder choke and #9 shot. It's all about giving you the best possible chance to kill the bird, so to tell a newcomer to the sport that it's all rubbish is, in my opinion far more confusing than giving them an idea of the type of shell best suited to certain disciplines, as i did in my original reply.

The last two lots of clay load I have had have both been #7.5 and to be honest the only way I knew that was because I saw it on the box when I was putting them into a pocket. I truley belive, anyone who isn't shooting for medals should worry about two things, price and recoil, as they are the only noticable thing about a load. I bet there are few of us out there ( I know I couldn't) who would be able to tell what shot size they were shooting based on the way, a clay breaks and the scores you get.

The guys starting out and obviously won't be shooting side-on midis crossing at 60 yards, so If he has #9 he will be fine, equally if he shoots skeet He will be missing by yards rather than inches due to pattern spread like the rest of us!

The cheapo's round my way, I have found, have been Comp X #7.5 or Kent velocity #7.5 :rolleyes: which seems pretty standard and inbetween, i.e they will do the job well for any disapline!

Edited by libs

When I started I didn't worry about shot size as my local clay ground sells carts at the counter.

Ask for a skeet card and a box of carts and you'd get 9's, sportrap, 71/2's.

I didn't start buying by the slab or 1000 until much later. You're not normally shooting 500 targets a week when you start so the extra cost doesn't equate to that much.

...Robbly

I use the Hull Comp X 21g for everything from tuition with first timers to shooting cpsa registered shoots.

Also I choke up for trap, 3/4 + full with the 21g. And 1/4 + 1/4 for skeet.

Works very,very well.

With very little recoil it`s very easy to get onto the second target of a pair. :good:

If you want cheap and cheerful but do a reasonable job then go Eley lites or firsts but they are dirty and chuck out confetti which can put you off a second bird.

Eley VIPs are excellent but they kick like a mule. :/