Where are the Pigeons

Alanl50

Hi

I must be mad IM putting out Rope bangers on the 2 fields of Rape I want to shoot over for the farmer!! Seriously though the Farmer lost 4 fields to pigeon grazing last year, redrilled with sugarbeet!! (dont put them out if IM shooting them LOL)

More important though is, there are small flocks at first light but one bang and they are gone for the day??? I have Rape, Wheat, Barley, Sugarbeet and even a small wood where I can normally get them coming into roost BUT nothing they wont even decoy or magnet in where are they?:yes: anybody else lost there pigeons I live just outside Ipswich.

Ive got all the time, IM off work till middle December or poss next year, recovering from operation but ok to shoot, IM gutted.

Any one need any help? within an 1 hours travelling LOL

Alan

Whilst I've seen quite a few over the last few weeks on the land I shoot over, they have been almost impossible to bring in over the decoys, keeping high and fast, with very few (if any) showing interest in the pattern. I've tried floaters and different pattenrs/numbers but they just don't seem interested. It seems that after the first few days clearing up after a field has been drilled they're off somewhere else, and lets face it, they spolied for choice at the moment.

I'm waiting for the weather to turn and the natural food sources to dry up and we'll see what happens. I'm not sure what they will ultimately be feeding on, as the early rape is well up.

Some here over the river from you, there were alot about a couple of weeks ago but now there only seem to be a few flying high, i reckon they are all in the woods near me feeding on acorns and chesnuts, Wrabness Woods is absolutely full of chesnuts, i picked 3 carrier bags full in half an hour, give it another couple of weeks and they should be back, :yes:

Just been for a drive round and they are starting to flock. Saw a group of about 50 going into a field of rape..up until now there hasn't been a solitary bird visible. I guess they have been after the beach mast, but walking through the woods, they have pretty much cleaned that up now. I should think a couple more weeks especially if the temperature drops, they will be far more in evidence.

Was out today with barney did not have any look only shot 10 tho i had tree for 1 shot . none on the rape we looked at as yet saw shed loads on some beat tops but cant shoot the fields to close to the shoot , saw a few birds going to another beat top field only cut yesterday will have a look there this week .

The few we did shoot had all sorts in berries rape beach mast and still wheat from some stubble !

Need a few cold days and nights to bring them on the rape i think :rolleyes:

There's thousands round here (East Durham coast area) we went out last Saturday and got 60 odd, and this Saturday we got 81, both over stubble, whilst driving to the places we were putting the hides we could see every field was carpeted with them, loads left when we were setting up but there was plenty left for us to have a good couple of days.