Stalking Muntjac

dick darstardly

Hello

I went out for the first time for Muntjac over the weekend. Set off around 1pm to meet up with permission holder. It had rained in the morning but cleared beautifuly by the time we got out the land rover a qiuck glance around me raised my already high hopes as there was vast amounts of wodland that screamed Muntjac. After a short ramble along the edge of the woodland we proceeded to walk downwind into the woods, after about 10 mins we came across a resonably open area and decided this was a good spot to hide our silhoutes against a thick tree trunk, set up the sticks and call the Muntjac. Being my first time stalking i was amazed to say the least that within 2 mins i was watching a young buck circle around the cover about 25 metres ahead. I was keeping dead still but the problem was the he was adopting the same tactics and had perfectly positioned his front half behind a tree. At this point he had walked so far to the right that i was nearly at the limit of the range that i could follow him without repositioning the sticks he took a tentative couple of steps forward giving me the shot a quick call then stoped him dead in his tracks perfectly for me to take my first ever muntie. My initial mission for the day was complete and i had a Muntjac for the table a good sized young buck a perfect cull animal. Gralloched and hanging in the tree uder which it died.

As this was my birthday treat i decided that it was over far to quickly and after a small deliberation i decided i would like another, a decision that would present me with a far greater decision to make in about an hours time. We then started stalking through the woods again.

We saw the backside of a young buck heading off into some thicker cover, we decided to move in the same direction as there was no real urgency to its movement and thought it had perhaps not seen us. We stalked for another 10 mins Before hearing an almighty scrap about 30m ahead and saw a good sized buck make a quick exit, leaving the victor of the fight hidden behind some cover, we set up the sticks and waited for it to show itself. When it did it was evident it had no idea that me and my guide where there. A quick glance through the bino's bought a "**** me thats a gold medal". A quick confirmation of the status of the buck bought the nasty point where he told me the cost of shooting this guy. My wife and newborn baby jumped into my mind a upcoming christmas presents to be bought not to mention a holiday this month made me take the moral highground a not take the shot i took my eye from the scope and said that i couldnt take the shot. Well i cant speak on his behalf but i think the buck was there to test me. He stayed in a shootable position for a good couple of mins giving me time to watch him without him knowing we were there. I then did some quick finance checking in my head and made a proposition the the guide which he accepted and that was it, just as the Buck became aware of us the.243 rang out and he was floored. He was an old boy with a cleft pallet and the most overgron slightly curled front hooves (post pics later). We went back and measured the buck and using the slightly weaker side he came in at 63.8 points gold medal. Fantastic day and cant belive my first day luck.

post-19390-1257761788.jpg

post-19390-1257761874.jpg

good to hear it went well, from memory isn't this the guy based at Hertford? if so I'd be interested in the general stalk costs.

As for the medals shot a couple I'll remember just as the keeper recounted to the landowner what they would be worth had a stalker shot them :good:

we'd been clearing them from a "garden" if you can call 100 acres a garden after it had been fenced. The look on the owners face as he added them up as there were 12 shot that morning was a picture.

Edited by al4x

She said that she was happy for me and glad i had enjoyed myself, her face on the other hand portraid something different....she also said i had to take the rubbish out, load the dishwasher, get up when the baby wakes up, iron my own clothes in the morning....... only joking she was fine and she enjoys the meat so i think she focused on that part.

Edited by dick darstardly

Had a hectic lunch break yesterday. I had the deer in the boot after a night hanging in the garden with the intention to take them to a butcher i had found that was willing to skin and prepare them for me. With work being work i was not going to be able to take the extended lunch break i required to drive to the butchers, and i decided against informing all my co workers that i had to do something with the two dead deer in the boot of my car. A quick search on yell.com and a couple of calls later i found a much closer butcher who was happy to help me on one condition that the animal was skinned before coming to his premisis. This posed a new problem to me as i only have 45 mins for lunch and my house is 20 mins each way so this was out of the question not to mention the fact i have never skinned a deer before.

I phoned my mum who lives only 10 mins from my work and in the direction of the butchers and told her i needed to use dads garage (i didnt go into the details with her). With time against me this had to be a well organised exercise, so a quick google on "how to skin a deer" provided me with a 5 step guide to skinning a deer, this in hand prior to my departure from work i phoned my sister up and told her i would be round in 10 mins and could she have two knives ready, some bin bags and a bowl of water and a cloth. Deer in hand and my instructions i arrived at my mums house, straight in the garage it was now time to improvise. Luckily my dad had still left my rope and braket for my punchbag when i lived there up and around the rafters. I found an old belt and hey presto the first deer was hanging perfectly for me to start. I cracked on as quick as i could with the occasional visit from my mum and sister whos curiosity got the better of them. After about half an hour i had managed to skin and pack up ready for the bucher both of the deer. I was truely sweating covered in blood up to my wrists with only a few mins left before i had to back at work in the office. I dropped the the animals of at the butcher and headed back to work 10 mins late. Chuffed i got it done and shall be collecting my meat at lunch time today.

post-19390-1257847322.jpg

post-19390-1257847329.jpg