7mm mag vs 30-06

Ok, so l done a search of the forum and didnt find much information about both calibres. I am wanting the rifle for highland stalking/ and driven boar in europe. The 7mm looks better ballistically, with flatter shooting but which do you lads think would be the best rifle for me??

I got told from a wise old man to keep away from the 30--06, what does he know that l dont? maybe he is stuck in his ways!

How bad is the recoil from both rifles with say 150 grain bullet?

Any advice on calibres would be great.

Cheers :blink:

All i can say is check out the different bullet weights available for each callibre,

I have 30.06 so i would say that callibre i know i can load from 110 grain up to 240 if needed, thats a very good choice IMO, i dont know why the wise old man said not to go for a 30.06, would be worth knowing it may help. Difference in recoil :blink: allot depends on the round i think and yourself its not like your bunny bashing popping off round after round so it doesnt bother me personaly.

just Wikipedia it have a look and take your pick.

Edited by Dougy

Ok, so l done a search of the forum and didnt find much information about both calibres. I am wanting the rifle for highland stalking/ and driven boar in europe. The 7mm looks better ballistically, with flatter shooting but which do you lads think would be the best rifle for me??

I got told from a wise old man to keep away from the 30--06, what does he know that l dont? maybe he is stuck in his ways!

How bad is the recoil from both rifles with say 150 grain bullet?

Any advice on calibres would be great.

Cheers :blink:

There is nothing wrong with the 30-06 unless you want to shoot in countries that prohibit the use of military calibres, like France. I know one guy who has a win mag for that very reason. I also know two chaps who go to Africa regularly and they bought 30-06's because of the easy availability of 30-06 ammunition over there. One of them uses it ( the 30-06) here too for everything from boar to muntjac. He uses 180gn bullets.

As for recoil, you will know you have shot both of them when on the range. Neither will hurt when shooting live quarry.

I believe Baldrick has or had a 30-06.

ft

There is nothing wrong with the 30-06 unless you want to shoot in countries that prohibit the use of military calibres, like France. I know one guy who has a win mag for that very reason. I also know two chaps who go to Africa regularly and they bought 30-06's because of the easy availability of 30-06 ammunition over there. One of them uses it ( the 30-06) here too for everything from boar to muntjac. He uses 180gn bullets.

As for recoil, you will know you have shot both of them when on the range. Neither will hurt when shooting live quarry.

I believe Baldrick has or had a 30-06.

ft

I think you will find that the 30 06 is ok in France, even though they do, as you say, ban military calibres. A French Friend of mine has a semi automatic 30 06

All i can say is check out the different bullet weights available for each callibre,

I have 30.06 so i would say that callibre i know i can load from 110 grain up to 240 if needed, thats a very good choice IMO, i dont know why the wise old man said not to go for a 30.06, would be worth knowing it may help. Difference in recoil :| allot depends on the round i think and yourself its not like your bunny bashing popping off round after round so it doesnt bother me personaly.

just Wikipedia it have a look and take your pick.

You got the video off your camera yet?

If you are recoil shy, the 7 mag has a lot more and a lot sharper recoil than the -06.

Both will do the job balistically. The -06 with a 165 gr bullet has accounted for many many US whitetails in our family out to ranges that most people should be shooting to. I'd have no problems using my -06 on anything in Europe.

Thanks,

Rick

I do not use either but two of the guys I shoot with who have over 60 yrs stalking between them use the 7mag for long distance shooting on big flat fields where they cant stalk close enough to shoot 100 - 150 m

They seem verry accurate with less drop and these guys reg shoot 300 m plus with no problems.

Remember though they have a lot of experience and shoot reg. They are also very good shots, not sure I could do it I stick with my 6.5 and stay below 200m

Doc

Edited by docholiday