Decoying with no wind

Whitebridges

After half an hour looking at things through the bins I set up this morning on barley stubble. There were a few birds about but no consistent flight path. There was breeze, but that's all. Out went the whirlie and 16 deeks I thought I'd get a few shot's, and then the wind completely stopped. I saw nothing for 2 hours, then had a shot at a crow, which stirred a few up. Ended up with 3 woodies and a magpie. Are there any secrets to shooting pigeons when there is no wind? Has anyone done well when it's completely still? Left early for an early evening pint.

Cheers, Nige.

prob best not to use magnet in the calm if you do turn it to the slowest speed! Difficult to decoy in calm as shot is heard a long dist off plus any birds that commit to the coys land in any direction! Not had any real good days in the calm but others may have done i likle it to be good and breezey

I have just returned from a wheat stubble field - again no wind and hard work.

I used a flapper and that got a few my way, but I did put a few shots up just to get the ones in the trees / surrounding fields moving.

I saw nothing for 2 hours, then had a shot at a crow, which stirred a few up.

I ended with a measly 5 woodies and 1 feral.

The field in the right conditions is really good - just hope I'm there in those conditions before it gets ploughed.

Cheers

AndyCM

i went out yesterday with two freinds, hot as hell but very little wind. My 2 friends set up on a wheat field in the neighbouring village and i set up on another wheat field. Both started slow in the morning but by luchtime we had set up under newly established flightlines and between the 3 of us shot 151. we were using bouncers and shell deeks. i think the trick is when you have no wind is to keep the birds moving. there was also two other groups of people out shooting on neighbouring farms so the birds were kept moving.

Edited by TX Sniper

Same conditions here today, nothing moving, set up 10 deeks on some wheat stubble, nothing for over an hour.

I managed to clatter one that went into a tree behind me so i stuck it on the flapper!

After that they kept coming in slowly all day, just in ones and two's untill the dreaded lull about 4ish then they dissapeared again?

Picked up 33, so not to bad.

Just as i was packing up a big ol crow floated my way so he got it as well!!

Two minutes later and i would have been gone, but as they say

"Thats CROW buisness" :lol: :lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::P:P:P

Regards Sutty.