Tree defoliation on the QT

Mungler

Someone who should know told me that dumping huge amounts of salt very close to any offending tree will do the job :(

Yep,salt is an extremely good weedkiller and will kill anything in heavy enough doses.Often i use it on stubourn dandlions etc growing through path etc and just pour a small heap on each weed.They're completely dead within a few days.

As for Sycamores.Just introduce it to a chainsaw Mung and say it had a rotten trunk.I hate sycamores with a passion-they're a woodland tree and have no place in a suburban garden or neighbourhood.

Edited by Imperfection

even better than roundup Mung is a product called SBK drill some holes facing downwards obviously with the cordless drill as that is quieter fill them with the concentrate and plug with mud job done :(

its also ideal for killing any nettles or brambles / shrubs the missus doesn't like but won't kill grass like salt and roundup

http://www.capitalgardens.co.uk/v3/sbk-bru...ate-p-6401.html

Edited by al4x

One of those horrible modern steel tube broom handles pushed into the soil would probably draw a core of soil out with it when removed so there is little in the way of disturbance. Then pour in your chosen poison and scrape a clod over it and drop a cat **** over that too.

Shame someones cat will get the blame for any stink but it's well known they scat in other peoples gardens.

2, Pay a tree surgeon to formally tell you that it has a rotten core and is dangerous so must be felled before a high wind takes it, obviously he will want the work of cutting!

Just do this because your gonna have to get a tree surgeon when its dead anyway.

How close is the tree to your house? another excuse the tree surgeon can use is that the roots will affect the structure of the house.

well if you drill the hole and pour it in it should be fine the tree will absorb it pretty fast, works well on sycamore stumps so should do the tree

The wood in that area of the tree will still stink when it's cut. If it's not his tree and the neighbour has to get it removed when it dies any tree surgeon worth his wages is going to be suspicious that the sawdust smells like stump killer! I hate to say it but if I did a job like that I'd have to inform the owner of the tree of my suspicion. ;)

could be drilled into an area of root in that case but realistically its got another 3 months before it comes into leaf then a load longer before they realise its dead then probably another few months before they do something about it and ultimately its a sycamore tree probably self set and probably dropping seeds everywhere that they have to pull up so you never know they may be glad to see it go