Ruger 10/22 reviews please.

Frenchieboy

Well, I have been offered a brand new Ruger 10/22 Deluxe to replace my old Winchester 290 that I scrapped. I have had a good look at the rifle, it has an 18 inch screw threaded barrel, great looking woodwork and a 10 shot magazine with a 25 shot magazine available as well. I have to admit that the rifle "feels great to handle" and seems ideal for lamping rabbits with. I have no experience or knowledge of Rugers but I have heard a few good reports about them and am fairly sure that this is the rifle for me. Do any of you Ruger owners know of any really good or bad points about the Ruger 10/22 Deluxe that I should know about please?

Also, as this is a brand new rifle should do I have to "Run the barrel in" (Or anything like that) and if so how is this done in order to get the best out of the the gun please?

Ive had my ruger for about 4 months now and wouldnt change it for the world , ive been using winchesters with mine and can get a 10 pence coin group at 50 yards and easily take rabbits with it at 75yards though cci also cycled and grouped well , ive not had anything done to it either all factory parts except the magazine and bolt handle which are custom but yes i would highley reccomend it , alot say they jam alot but keep your mags clean and you wont have many problems , i actually sold my cz 452 varmint which was fitted with a timney trigger as i prefferd using the ruger !!

As its a new gun you probably wont have many problems with it, i had one and found it unreliable but it was bought 2nd hand.

dont clean the barrel out and you'll notice it gets more accurate after a few hundred shots, you may notice deposits building up around the action but just swab these out every now and then and the gun should be fine. Unlike copper jackets the 22 lr is a lead slug and the barrels dont need cleaning out, the most i do with mine is pull a patch thru just to oil the inside every now and then to protect against damp.

I have a Ruger 10/22 & a Sako quad which cost me twice as much money as the Ruger, every time I reach into the gun safe the Ruger comes out before the Sako its a fantastic little rifle just get the right ammo it likes with mine its Eley & winchester super x subs :look: :hmm::lol: go get it you wont regret it :P:yes::yes:

Edited by blackbird

Apart from having the usual semi auto feed issues I had no trouble with mine. It didn't jam often but when it did it was always at a bad time. I prefer bolt actions myself, but each to their own! I'd say the Ruger is as good as any.

If you do get it, invest in a nylon bolt buffer. It quietens the action right down, is simple to fit and costs a couple of quid at the most :look:

had mine for 3 years now, was my 2nd .22lr; for the first two years it was more for fun and plinking than anything else (didnt have enough rabbits around here to shoot), but this year my uncle asked me to clear out a couple of fields of rabbits, and it hasnt let me down yet. it easily deals out head shots up 80 yards, the longest shot so far has been 136 yards, chest shot on a rabbit, straight kill (a ballistics calculator and a range finder are useful pieces of kit).

anyway (imo) pros - so many accessories you can set it up anyway you want, easy to strip and clean, reliable once you find the right ammo for it, well balanced, easy to handle, quick 2nd shot if needed.... etc etc etc

cons - can be very fussy when it comes to ammo, and its almost guaranteed at some stage you will want either a 50 round drum magazine or an m16 style stock for it (or in my case both :hmm:), but thats about it really

some of the after market accesories need a bit of work done - if you get the 25 round mag you might need to bulk it up with a couple of wraps of insulating tape around the top to hold it snug, and file down the lips a bit to help smooth feeding :look:

ps anshcutz are good, but at least a 10/22 doesnt take 3 hours and 2 people to put back together again after being stripped down :lol::P:yes:

Edited by babbyc1000