Worst lunch ever today

ME

We went to sunny Mersea Island today and had lunch (for the last time) at THE VICTORY AT MERSEA

I ordered fish and chips and on closer inspection the fish was a bit grey and smelt like vinegar / ammonia / urine. I ate about 5 mouthfuls before I realised that there was something wrong and backed it to the waitress. (just as well I didnt smother it in Tartare like I normally do)

I have done a bit of Googling and it suggests that the fish was probably about to walk out of the kitchen by itself. The fact that it was only an hour after opening and I had the last piece of fish suggests that this bit had been knocking around for a while.

I am currently parked at the nearest PC we have to a throne and awaiting the worst. :oops: :blink:

Anyone got any seafood horror stories or want to share some nappy wearing moments ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one involving a King Prawn omelette from a Chinese in Rayleigh - it was the day before New Years eve so almost 18 years ago to the day. Never had food poisoning like it - even got taken to the docs where I thought I was going to die.

Ruined my New Year big style :blink:

Needless to say we won't be returning to the Victory any time soon either, bad news travels fast!

When I was a trainee the office Xmas party was at a highly rated Italian restaurant.

The office manager had the Dover Sole - she ate a bit of it and complained it tasted of amonia. She then spent the whole Xmas period on the bog and missed Xmas.

I wouldn't order anything other than burger and chips from a pub because it's hard to F that up.

Anything slightly exotic over the Xmas period is going to be iffy - when was it bought, how long's it been hanging around etc?

Phone environmental health and get them down there - it's bang out of order. Imagine the consequences if your kids had eaten it - their taste buds are developed enough to spot "off" yet.

I am going to have to buy some more jiffy bags....... it's getting busy

Edited by Mungler

When I was about 14 I went raking cockles on the sandbanks off the beach at mersea, we also picked some winkles.

My mates Dad cooked the cockles for us and a few mates and myself had them for tea. I spent the next 3 or 4 days ******** through the eye of a needle. I have not touched a single cockle since.

Go on Matt, fill yer boots with the touching cockle double entndres.

Bought a Doner kebab once from a local takeaway one early sunday evening and a few hours later i had sickness & diarohea.I was off work for a week with food poisoning and that was the last kebab i ate.My weight plumetted (could probably do with another bout!) and felt terrible a week later even when the sickness/diarohea stopped.

Only thing i think what might have caused it is this particular place dont open during the day on a sunday and i dont think they refridgerated the elephants foot (the block of kebab meat) from saturday night.Few years later the council closed it down due to being a filthy pigs sty.

Slightly OT... But I took the wag out for Lunch today... and Richard and Judy walked in...

Judy is enough to put anyone off their dinner, mind you I would find a use for her shakey hands :blink:

Back on topic. The one and (so far) only time I have had food poisoning was as a kid as a result of a Wimpy. I shudder everytime I pass a Wimpy nowadays.

Edited by ME

Sounds like I had a lucky escape - was off there today for lunch as well but got dragged off to do something else. Fish and Chips would have been my choice as usually OK.

Foods nothing special there but not bad usually either, not usually capable of killing you off!! First proper day after the long holiday bet its either been hanging around in a freezer as an "emergency supply" or has spent the best part of five days in a warm fridge!! :blink:

Ate some dodgy rice salad once at work just before I was due to fly to Europe to meet my future in laws for the first time. spent two weeks pebble dashing their toilet and a buttock clenching flight. Sometimes you just need the privacy and comfort of your own white porcelain!!

A few years ago the mother in law dragged me, the wife, my brother in law and his girlfriend to her favourite restaurant, which turned out to be a fleapit chinese in Wellingborough.

Upon arriving at the dunghole restaurant, for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to have oysters in black bean sauce. Schoolboy error.

We made it all the way through the meal, right until we were being driven back in the mother in law's car when the most powerful urge to vomit I have ever known hit me. I frantically told my mother in law to pull over, but being the biggest driving-mong ever, she instead slowed down a bit, then sped up a bit and so on for another 20-30 seconds, without actually stopping.

What happened next I wont describe in too much detail, but if you were among the group of young lads and lasses out that night in Wellingborough highstreet who had a green peugot hatchback lurch pass you whilst a bloke projectile vomited chinese food all over your shoes, I apologise from the bottom of my heart.

ZB

Ate some dodgy rice salad once at work just before I was due to fly to Europe to meet my future in laws for the first time. spent two weeks pebble dashing their toilet and a buttock clenching flight. Sometimes you just need the privacy and comfort of your own white porcelain!!

I feel that - in 2000 a memorable flight back from Hong Kong after some local f-knows-what soup.

Indeed, when it goes off downstairs you don't want to venture further than eye sight from your own bog.

Rice is supposed to be one of the worst offenders as a breeding ground for nasty stuff. Especially if rice gets re-heated.

stayed at a mates house over night after a long days shooting.his wife gave me a chicken curry for tea,they were having duck and there wasn,t enough for three.tasted ok but about 3 in the morning i thought my end had come,good job the sink was next to the lavi as i was ill in sterio.turns out her mam had made it special for my mate.he reckons she was trying to kill him,they have never got on on.

A few years back i had a red pudding supper from a chippy ate half of it but noticed that it was cold in the middle,sick all night never ate one again.Returned to the chippy next day and told them,They said heres your money back very sorry.They closed down about 2 weeks later.